• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Death / bereavement advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death / bereavement advice

Hi, I am looking for some advice / guidance following the passing of my mum last week. My mum didn't have any savings etc in her own name having only a joint current bank account with my dad and also her name is on the house with my dad's name.

When I enquired on behalf of my dad at the bank, they said that they can amend the bank account details if my father calls in with ID, bank info and the death certificate that he has been issued so it would appear this is straight forward enough unless the be been misinformed.

Regarding the property my father still lives in, how does he ammended the details to reflect my mum's passing / transfer ownership of the house solely to him?

I'm trying to assist him just now and I have the 'Tell us once' adviceadvic issued by the registrar along with the death certificate and before I go online and do it with him, I've read the information as to what we need to complete this and have everything they ask for however part of the information they list on the form is... the ''details of the person or company dealing with the deceased's estate/affairs (property, belongings and money). Do I just put in my father's details again for this or does there have to be a lawyer / law firm involved to do this?

Thanks in advance, Bob
    Tags: None

I am sorry for your loss, losing a parent is never easy, no matter what their age or if they were ill or in good health. I know from experience so you have my sympathies.

It may depend on the exactly who owned the property and how it was divided, I know there is a difference between tenants in common and joint tenants; one is where you each own half the house, the other is where you each own the whole house- I can't remember which is which.

As your parents were married the key point is , was there a will? I think , as your Mum had a share of the house you will have to go through probate but I may be wrong.

Comment

Thanks for your reply Matty and your kind words. I forgot to add some of the info you asked about. I'm a bit scatter brained right now.

My mum didn't have a will. She was married to my dad for over 50 years and he is still living in the house which he bought way back in 70s and the mortgage was paid off 25 years later. My dad doesn't have the property deeds close to hand however he's certain that it was in joint names as i that no the solicitor at time of purchase advised so for in case anything happened to either of them it would simplify things for the survival ving spouse. Also the property falls under council tax value of band D and has a current value of around £115k. I'm not sure on exact details of savings but estimate will be around the amount he got from work pension lump sum of about £50k so they weren't millionaires living in a stately home. Hope this helps anyone reading. I have asked my dad to try & find the property title / deeds to clarify the ownership wording

Thanks again, Bob.

Comment

Condolences on your mother's passing.

You need to see if the house was registered with Land registry here (cost £3) https://www.gov.uk/search-property-i...-land-registry

If your parents owned the house as joint tenants all that needs to be done is inform land Registry of your mother's passing with death certificate .and form DJP
        From your account this is the most likely scenario and a grant of probate will not be required

If they owned the house as tenants in common, because your mother's estate is less than £270,000 your father inherits everything.
        However the house registration needs to be changed, and in this case a grant of probate will be required together with form DJP & death certificate

Comment

Thank for for your reply Des8. I just got your message as been trying to deal with matters more immediate. I will check with land registry later tonight or tomorrow as I've a jam packed day or two sorting out funeral arrangements. I will post back how I get on.

Thanks again, Bob.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X