• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Looking for boundary fence advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for boundary fence advice

Neighbour is housing association (HA) tenant. I (freehold) own house outright and mortgage purchased late 90s. Seller of house may have been old council jurisdiction tenant who used original right to buy (RTB) to purchase I'm not sure, nor does title deed state property was originally RTB.

I want to erect 6ft fence within my boundary. To ensure housing association neighbour does not attach/alter/damage nor try to lay claim to opposite side of fence, I will make sure it's leaving a slight gap back from the edge of boundary of property (still my land, but essentially a no-go area). Neighbour has own fence propped against current fence of mine which is rotting, why I need to replace it.

Housing association states that i must apply for permission, plus get tenant neighbour acceptance as my house possibly old RTB, but I believe this refers to homes purchased from HA and not Strathclyde Regional Council. Housing association states that if they erect a boundary fence on neighbour land, I may not be permitted to put one up on my own property, but will be responsible for maintaining the side which faces my garden. NOTE: I am NOT a HA tenant. I am a private homeowner.

I checked local council and Scottish Government sites. No planning permission required by homeowner if fence 2m or under height. Fence will not restrict light/sunlight due to location of homes.

My questions:

1. Can Housing Association refuse me permission to erect fence, despite me having no dealings with them at all?

2. Does the RTB status end if the person who first bought property in 1990 as right to buy, then sells home to new owner via mortgage?

3. Can my neighbour claim that facing side of fence as theirs, even when within my boundary line, and thete are not "T"/"H" markers on title deed? Was previously told that this means neighbour cannot alter/paint/attach anything to fence if it was myself who paid and erected same, but HA disputing.

Please help. I'm at my wits' end. All I want is a bit of privacy. There is no option for compromise. Already tried.

Thanks in advance.

Tags: None

I would say HA association staff are used to dealing with disputes between their tenants and can't switch their minds into somebody having an absolute right to do what they want on their own land.

just as a check download your registry details from HM land registry (£3) and see what it says. If there are no limitations then wave it in the face of those HA association power mad persons

Comment

I assume you live in Scotland? If so and you are proposing to erect something entirely within your own boundary then it seems to me that much of what the HA is saying appears nonsense. The best bet however would be to have a property solicitor look at your title deeds and advise you.

Comment

Thank you both for your answers. They are very much appreciated. XhugsX

Here's an update:

Council planning permission is required because I'm now in a conservation area (I didn't know that it had changed over) . Housing Association permission is NOT required, and HA never should have insisted a private homeowner needs their permission as well as council.

Housing Association were insistent about me getting permission, but when I mentioned neighbour planning to erect two gates over service path( a 5ft and a 3ft) despite there being a rule that only one gate per household is permitted and MUST be approved by council because of conservation area, HA said their tenant could do what they want and conservation rules are there to have "lee-way".

What?

So, I, as a homeowner need to get permission from an Association ith whom I have no involvement, but the tenant who's erecting two gates, one of which will cause problems when taking bins round, doesn't need to?

Is it just me, or does that make no sense? It was bad enough I could hardly get a word in when the HA manager FINALLY called me back and spoke to me like an idiot because "women tend to get heated about a bit of wood", but the sheer hypocrisy is ridiculous. I put him in his place, told him I'd spoken to three different property lawyers (this was after I'd posted here), and I used to work in civils/structures and dealt with their HA's framework, and I wasn't a "heated woman".*♀️

Anyway, long story short, council planning office needs form and diagram, but shouldn't be an issue for approval.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X