• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Small claims v simple procedure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small claims v simple procedure

Hello,

I work on a freelance basis and I'm based in Scotland. I'm owed money from a company registered to an address in Wales for work I carried out for them. The payment is not in dispute but is overdue and not forthcoming.

If I were to file a claim against the company, am I right in thinking that I would need to file through the small claims court, and not simple procedure, because they aren't based in Scotland? Also, the contract I signed with them states it is governed by English law.

Any advice appreciated, thanks.
    Tags: None

Governing law is different from jurisdiction. For contractual disputes if the obligation in dispute ie to pay you should have been performed in Scotland you should be able to sue in Scotland. If neither party then raises the issue the court will assume Scots law applies to the dispute. Of course any decree obtained would need to be enforced in Wales

Comment

Thanks very much, appreciate it. I received some similar advice from Citizens Advice.
      ​​​​​

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X