• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Network Speed Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Network Speed Issue

Yes, I still think the problem is SMB. Unfortunately, I haven't found any way to revert Windows 7 to using the older version of SMB.

As I have said previously, I have Samba shares running off my Ubuntu Server to Windows 7 and don't get the performance issues you are suffering.

The only difference between my Ubuntu Server and your NAS drive is that my Ubuntu Server is running a full service, whereas NAS drives use 'skeleton' Linux implementations. Could be that the full Server O/S has other ways of adddressing this problem that the NAS drive does not.

I don't have a NAS drive, but I do have software to turn an old Pentium 4 desktop into a NAS drive (so in theory it should run in exactly the same way as your NAS drive). Gonna build that up and try some testing and see if I can reproduce the problem you are having.

Comment

I kinda lost track of the thread, with regards what gear you have etc.

But i will say from experience that the onboard NIC for motherboards can run very slow compared to a dedicated NIC add in card.

So if you havent got (or tried this) then it may be worth a try...........

I will "butt" out from now - gluck with it!!

Comment

Originally posted by paulb2905 View Post
        I kinda lost track of the thread, with regards what gear you have etc.

But i will say from experience that the onboard NIC for motherboards can run very slow compared to a dedicated NIC add in card.

So if you havent got (or tried this) then it may be worth a try...........

I will "butt" out from now - gluck with it!!
        I know and have added a PCI based Gigabit card.

The PC is a P4 3.2Ghz, with 2GB RAM and a D-Link DGE-528T 1Gigabit PCI ethernet card. The NAS is a Buffalo Linkstation HD-HGLAN300, with a 2TB USB 2.0 HDD added to the USB port, giving 2.3TB storage. The network connection is via NET-PL-1000M Gigabit PowerLine adapters and using Edimax NET-GIG-SW5 switches at each end.

In short, it should be lightning fast, end to end and it just isn't. Other devices are far quicker, my N-enabled wireless laptop running Vista is many times quicker and it should not be.

Comment

Cet - I cannot recreate your problem.

I've just built a NAS drive (using FreeNAS on an old Pentium 4 900Mhz desktop) and am not experiencing the problems you describe from Windows 7. I've just transferred a 4.35Gb DVD image file from a Windows 7 PC to the NAS drive and it took a mere 3 minutes - and I don't have Gigabit Ethernet !!

I know it is not 'exactly' a NAS drive in the same way you have, but FreeNAS is the only way I have of building a NAS drive as close as possible to what you have.

As I have said before, I do also have an Ubuntu Home Server with several shares configured on it that also does not have performance issues like you describe.

Is the NAS drive configurable in any way ? With FreeNAS I can configure the drive using a web browser (from any PC) to browse to the management interface.

Otherwise I am not sure what to suggest.

If it helps, I can send you some screen snapshots of how I have FreeNAS configured.
          Last edited by Jester; 12th January 2011, 03:47:AM.

Comment

Welll, just built a new machine with Win7 64 and I had the same issue with a couple of freecom NAS boxes with GIG NICs
            A firmware update on the NAS helped, but has completely fixed the problem.
            They are now running at half speed, but that's better than 10 meg..

So might be worth seeing if there's a firmware update for your NAS as well.

Jester I think you hit the nail with the SMB version on the NAS box and bear in mind the SMB service is cut down from the full server service.
            I have no issues connecting to server based SMB, just these two NAS's.

BTW i7's kick BOTTOM in very serious ways

Comment

FreeNAS also has a cut-down version of SMB (as well as everything else), so in theory should be the same as an off-the-shelf NAS storage device. The only caveat I would make is that I do have the latest version of FreeNAS.

However, if Cet is feeling brave enough to try a firmware update, then here are the instructions:

The LinkStation firmware flasher - NAS-Central Buffalo - The Linkstation Wiki

Also, from reading the Buffalo website, the Buffalo Linkstation HD-HGLAN300 is a no longer current/supported device, so I would guess that the firmware is quite old if it has never been flashed. Latest firmware update also seems to be around 3 years old so will have been released before Windows 7 was officially released.

Comment

I updated the firmware some time ago and now have v.1.63, which is the latest avaiable.

Windows 7 has a known bug which results in slow file transfer over LAN. I have looked and looked. Disabling RDC does nothing, disabling SMB 2.0 does nothing, along with the myriad other things proposed by experts on the web.

Search for "windows 7 slow file transfer over network" on Google and you will see I am not the only one. I once saw speeds of 1Mbps, but that was brief and now I get between 150Kbps to around 350Kbps if I am lucky.

I have another PC, with XP still on it that I am going to connect and do a direct comparison with the same file, to the same location.

I can configure the NAS, but as far as I know, it is optimally configured anyway.

Comment

Dunno if you still have the problem, but I found this today whilst researching another W7 problem.

Slow Network copy and connection drops in Windows 7 | Windows Reference

Comment

Thanks Jester.

I purchased a new NAS, another Buffalo, 2TB with a proper gigabit connection and cabled back to the switch with CAT5e cables.

It was just simpler that way.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X