• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help needed with broadband please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed with broadband please

Have recently had a run in with Tiscali after they chopped off my internet connection without telling me, then every time I phoned up to complain that I couldn't get a connection they told me that there must be a problem with my computer cos tests showed nothing wrong with my line. Anyway, having finally found out they'd cut me off, I got a MCA code and transferred to Sky. Have installed the router, no probs. But still can't get a connection, wired or wireless. The guys at Sky have been very helpful and think the router is faulty so are sending me a new one. BUT my daughter can get a connection on her laptop, which leads me to think that it may be a problem with my computer after all.

I keep getting DNS error when I try to connect. have done the windows diagnostic which says there is no gateway or IP address. I have tried putting these in manually but no luck. Have checked all settings and it seems that certain windows components are not running. When trying to enable them again I get a message saying this can only be done by administrator account. But we only have one account on my computer, which is clearly the admin account when I checked it. I am completely at a loss and getting really naffed off. Will try the new router when it comes but if my daughter can get a connection then it doesn't seem to me that the router is the problem. Can anyone suggest anything I can do, or should i just take the bloody thing up to the bloke up the road who mended it for £30 when it got the blue screen of death last year?

I should add that OH, in trying to be helpful mode, has stored everything onto cd so there is nothing valuable on the drive. However I also think he may have been meddling with things he knows bugger all about, and i think he has tried to restore to factory settings. And now its up the Swannee.
    Is no longer here

Re: Help needed with broadband please

OK so a few things to try.

What are the error messages you are getting as that would be helpful ?

Try a known good cable and rest the networking to Automatically assign IP for both IP address and DNS servers. By what you written I assume you know where to go for these. If not shout.
    If it's only DNS you are getting as an error, even after these changes, then try 192.168.0.1 for it.
    Same for the gateway.

Comment

I tried the assign automatically it ddidn't work. tried putting them in manually as well. I think I've tried 192.198.0.1 as well but I'll try again tonight thanks
      Is no longer here

Comment

That's 192.168.0.1

For DNS you could also add the following public addresses:

It doesn't hurt to have multiple values for DNS.

Comment

Originally posted by Curlyben View Post
          That's 192.168.0.1
          Thats what i meant - I have a dyslexic keyboard
          Is no longer here

Comment

what do you get if you type 192.168.0.1 in the address bar of firefox/IE

Comment

I think i did that and got the same thing, unable to connect etc. Will check again tonight and let you know
              Is no longer here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X