• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Beware of ‘virtual car seller’ scam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware of ‘virtual car seller’ scam

Beware of ‘virtual car seller’ scam

HPI are warning of a ‘virtual car seller’ scam that catches out buyers who think they are protected by online payment systems [8 November 2013]
    HPI have been checking the histories of used cars since 1938. They have reported that unsuspecting buyers are being tempted by used car advertisements on motoring websites from UK sellers that offer top-of-the-range cars at bargain prices.
    The fraudsters usually claim to be based far away from the buyer, providing a reason why they cannot view the car there and then. Normally, the scammer says the vehicle is already being shipped to a location close to them, and that the low price is due to the need for a quick sale - except in reality there is no car.
    Not protected by online payment systems
    The virtual car scam has been conning online buyers out of money for a number of years but in a new twist HPI has seen a number of buyers mistakenly believe they are protected if they use Google Wallet or another online payment system.
    HPI warns consumers that any money transferred through to a dodgy seller using an online payment system, are not protected, even in the event that the car does not exist. Used car buyers should never purchase a vehicle online without seeing it and meeting the seller first, no matter what the payment method is, advises HPI.
    Phil Peace, operations director for HPI comments, “Online payments systems offer many protections, but these are designed to prevent fraudulent transactions. This is leading some consumers to believe that if they use a system like Google Wallet, they will be protected if they fall victim to a scam, such as the virtual car scam. These systems offer similar security measures offered by banks, designed to prevent your money being taken without your knowledge or consent.
    “The problem is, if a buyer transfers money over to someone willingly, there is little that can be done about it. Online transactions are so fast and easy now, that by the time people realise they have been duped, the sellers are long gone, leaving the buyers with a fictitious car for their money.”
    For further information please visit the HPI website.
    Please note that Action Fraud is not responsible for the content of external websites.
    To report a fraud and receive a police crime reference number, call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or use our online fraud reporting tool.
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Tags: None

Re: Beware of ‘virtual car seller’ scam

The old adage of "If the price you are paying is well below market value - then it is a Scam" Don't walk away, Run.....

You have NO buyer protection on EBay Motors and NEVER pay for a vehicle via Paypal. Always go and view - before the auction ends if preferably, and send lots of questions.

If the seller is in Scotland and the car in Essex or somewhere similar - Back Off - it does not exist and you WILL get ripped off for thousands with no-one to help you.

I very nearly got caught out this way with a caravan we wanted to buy. Seller in Scotland, caravan in Dorset. Wanted payment via "EBay secure payment site" which does not exist. Produced EBay invoice that looked very convincing, BUT would not allow us to come down to Dorset, view and if we liked it to pay, hitch up and tow back. CRIS was fake too.

Comment

Originally posted by VF700fen View Post
      I very nearly got caught out this way with a caravan we wanted to buy. Seller in Scotland, caravan in Dorset. Wanted payment via "EBay secure payment site" which does not exist. Produced EBay invoice that looked very convincing, BUT would not allow us to come down to Dorset, view and if we liked it to pay, hitch up and tow back. CRIS was fake too.
      Did they suggest payment through http://www.escrow.com - link - and. if not, why not?

Comment

No CC - The original advert was on a caravan site but when we expressed interest they said they would set up a "Special Buy It Now" on EBay available only to us with payment to go via EBay secure payment as it would give us "protection" - ha ha ha. Protection would have not been worth more than loo paper because negotiations took place off EBay and EBay NEVER provide protection for anything on EBay Motors. All they say is Caveat Emptor. When they presented the invoice for payment which had mention somewhere of a bank in Spain and this got me really lairy. I said to my husband - "hang on - let's check it is actually on EBay because over £3000 is a lot of money to lose". No listing anywhere on EBay - so I started running searches on the woman's email address. Suddenly I started to find forum after forum of angry people that she had ripped off with the same scam. Same Caravan, same price, same story.

I reported her to EBay straight away - I doubt they did anything as they are not the most honest of traders. The caravan site where we had made the initial enquiry contacted us the following day to say "Don't deal - Scam" The photos were lifted from someone else's legitimate advert somewhere on the web and this had been used on every caravan site to pull the same scam. I don't think the person was even in the country but you live and learn. We did however find a lovely caravan - totally legit not long after.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X