• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ebay and Paypal Dispute, Paypal have ruled in favour of seller

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebay and Paypal Dispute, Paypal have ruled in favour of seller

Hello I wonder if you can help. I bought some new boots on a buy it now from a business seller on ebay, the day they arrived I went to town and walked in them for an hour and received 2 large blisters on my heels. I sent a message to the seller advising them of this, saying they are not fit for purpose and that I want to return them under distance selling regs.

The seller replied 2 days later advising they need to speak to their manager and asking for photos of any defect. I advised there is a mark on the side but thats not the reason I want to return, I want to return under 7 day distance selling regs and explained I will be returning them the next day via Hermes tracked delivery.

I did this and received a message from the seller 2 days later advising they are refusing a refund, I then did a claim direct through Paypal (not Ebay) who refused it a couple of days later in an email saying I had not sent tracking details. I rang Paypal saying they had not asked me for tracking details and sent them a screenshot of the Hermes tracking with address included etc. I checked my email today and there was an automatic paypal email saying that the payment for my boots purchase is being made today. I logged in to Paypal and see the case was closed the same day I uploaded the screenshot but I hadn't received an email from Paypal to let me know. I rang Paypal today who stuck to the point that the screenshot is not acceptable they needed the posting receipt with the address on. I explained that the Hermes posting receipt does not have an address on it like Royal Mail receipts do. The Paypal operative said its not acceptable then, so i asked him why I should be penalized for using Hermes instead of Royal Mail. He put me on hold and then came back to say that the screenshot I provided is acceptable but the case is still closed in favour of seller because I had worn the boots and they are not in the condition I received them. Paypal do not enforce the distance seller regs or as he put it they do not enforce uk law. I asked the Paypal operative to ask the seller to return the boots to me, which he said they can do but the seller is not obliged to do so.

I also asked him why I had not received an email saying they closed the case 29 Oct he said that an email was sent so when I explained I have not received it, he sent it again, and its the one saying that is not granted due to no tracking info being received which is untrue. So bit puzzed by that also.

I cannot do a chargeback as payment went direct from my bank account (which I regret now).
    Is there anything I can do, I am unhappy as the seller has the boots and my payment. I was thinking of drafting a letter before action to Paypal and the seller but not sure what to put and is there any point do you think?
    Last edited by icefall; 2nd November 2013, 15:24:PM. Reason: to add buy it now info
    Tags: None

Re: Ebay and Paypal Dispute, Paypal have ruled in favour of seller

Hi,
    Sorry to hear of the blisters, but if you wish to return the goods as unfit for purpose the Act on which to rely is the Sale & supply of Goods Act 1994.
    To return goods under the Distance Selling Regulations, you need to take reasonable care of the goods and to be honest I don't think wearing them outside for an hour before returning them is reasonable.

Unfortunately new footwear will often cause blisters (especially new stiff leather boots) if they are not a good fit, and before they are "broken in".

Sorry, but I doubt you have a reasonable chance of a refund, and you may even have to pay to have the boots returned.

Comment

Hi Icefall

I would have thought you should either have the goods (ideally a better replacement, if they were faulty) or the money.

It sounds very frustrating and the ebay/paypal procedures leave a lot to be desired.

Being a bit of a devil's advocate, though, I would say that new shoes/boots often do cause blisters the first few times they're worn without necessarily having any inherent fault - just a matter of wearing in and having the right socks.

I'm sure someone who knows all the ins and outs of distance selling regs will be along soon with good advice.

Comment

Sorry - crossed with Des8 :tinysmile_kiss_t4:

Comment

Thanks for your replies can see the points you make. Wish I hadnt returned them now.

What about waiting a few days for seller to respond to Paypal request to return the boots, and then if he doesnt respond, I could ask him politely through ebay, because at the moment he has the money and the boots. He has had the boots since 22 October.

Comment

Originally posted by icefall View Post
            Thanks for your replies can see the points you make. Wish I hadnt returned them now.

What about waiting a few days for seller to respond to Paypal request to return the boots, and then if he doesnt respond, I could ask him politely through ebay, because at the moment he has the money and the boots. He has had the boots since 22 October.
            In your shoes (lol) that is exactly what I would do - be nice to him and hope for a goodwill gesture. He may be grateful for the good feedback this would produce

As an aside, PayPal's "pay on delivery" service is, IMHO, a complete farce. For some reason they are pushing it, and I made the mistake of going along with them, assuming (wrongly) that it gave me added protection. When I received a faulty product, long before the pay date, I tried to prevent payment and get the complaints procedure to kick in. Suffice it to say that it didn't.

Have now gone back to feeding Paypal through credit card and using it much less.:tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Comment

Hi Icefall,
              Sensible to leave it a few more days, and then ask seller VERY politely to return the boots, as you suggest

My turn to cross with MissFM

Comment

Ok I will do this, will update you with the outcome. thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                  Hi Icefall,
                  Sensible to leave it a few more days, and then ask seller VERY politely to return the boots, as you suggest

My turn to cross with MissFM:tinysmile_twink_t2:
                  Not again Des! Am told it's a good sign

Comment

Question:Good sign of what?:noidea:
                    Answer: Great minds think alikemsl:

And before anyone else chips in, my OH has already gone "Great Mind...you Des:lol::lol::lol:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X