• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

New Scam or Costly Premium Rate Call Mistake

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Scam or Costly Premium Rate Call Mistake

Here is another one, which was easily rectified. None the less it makes me wonder if it is another issue to watch out for

Over the past few days I had a fair few calls for people enquiring about a motorhome for sale. Don't have one, wrong number I thought at first. When the calls kept arriving I asked for the number they dialed. It was completely different to mine. So I asked where they got it. It was in an ad on the Caravan Club's Website for a motorhome at a ridiculously low price. The problem was that the number dialed was a premium rate number which was diverted to mine. Very costly for the callers.

Last night I stopped answering the phone to unrecognised numbers and I sent an email to the CC advertising people stating that the rip off premium number was being diverted to my phone and asked them to change it. I didn't mention any suspicions, just that it was a wrong number. This bit is what I found a bit worrying. If it was a mistake you would have thought they would change the diversion number and let the ad continue. Instead they yanked the ad entirely and to me that's a red flag. It's one to watch out for as most, if not all of the private ads on CC have premium rate phone numbers.

Now I'm just putting it out there as a theory not accusation. I wouldn't be surprised or put it past a dodgy salesperson to put fake ads and get the commision on the premium rate call. The setup appears to be open to this abuse.

Hopefully it's a genuine random mistake and one off. However, I don't want to be changing my number, because that is a hassle!

Anyone else had a similar experience?
    I am not a legal professional

I will only comment and give advice in situations which I have experience that has been gained over the years in pre legal negotiation and redress. At the end of the day when there is a legal situation of life changing or serious consequence, always and I mean always seek professional advice from a solicitor.
    Tags: None

Re: New Scam or Costly Premium Rate Call Mistake

There are several advertising services that use premium rate numbers for prospective buyers to call. The number is diverted to the advertiser. The excuse is that it keeps the number of the advertiser private but in fact makes more money for the advertising service. Nothing unusual, just somebody set it up wrong.

Comment

Re: New Scam or Costly Premium Rate Call Mistake

That's what I thought at first and I wouldn't have said anything if the ad was left in place. But it raised an eyebrow when the ad was yanked as soon as they read my email at 10 this morning. Could be I'm too jaded but many years of exposure tells me something is wrong. It is definitely one for the far back burner and a wait and see
      I am not a legal professional

I will only comment and give advice in situations which I have experience that has been gained over the years in pre legal negotiation and redress. At the end of the day when there is a legal situation of life changing or serious consequence, always and I mean always seek professional advice from a solicitor.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X