• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Suspicious email from bank

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspicious email from bank

I recently received this email.
    (As I don't have a NatWest account, even I would smell a rat!)

Dear NatWest Customer,

This is an automatic message by the system to let you know that

your account has been restricted due to a second party log on.

Click Here To Lift Restriction

NatWest Online Banking

NatWest 2013©

A bit of surfing unearthed this (different bank stated, but similar content)

http://www.uaware.org.uk/page9.htm

Originator : Virgin Money Subject : Account Notification Content :
    Dear Customer,
    This is an automatic message by the system to let you know that your account has been
    Restricted from online banking due to third party log in from an unknown ISP .
    Note: Download The Attached File To Lift Restriction.
    Virgin Money©.2012

Comment : No named recipient. Attachment probably contains malicious software. The originators e-mail address indicated that the sender maybe registered in Norway, but not necessarily domicile there !
    Dated : 16th November 2012

Binned!

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick
    Tags: None

Re: Suspicious email from bank

This is a well known phishing message. Delete.

Or if it is a link to a forged copy of the real web site then fill in the form with rubbish data and rude data. Keep 'em busy thinking they have pulled in a punter.

Comment

I get these e-mails regularly. Amongst my favourites are the ones from banks that don't even have UK branches! However, there is a serious note on this issue - some of these e-mails are not as obviously false. A couple of times I have had ones from "my bank" that really looked like the genuine article - very, very cleverly constructed and extremely convincing looking. Only the fact that (a) I know for a fact that my bank never e-mail customers, and (b) my exceptionally good protection software alerted them as false gave away the game. But it would have been really easy to fall for it - and many people do.

Comment

I have one rule for Emails im not sure of
        When in Doubt Click it OUT
        Dont chance it

Comment

They wouldn't get any money from me - I've lent it all to that nice Nigerian chap who is promising to give me a fortune when he sorts his financial glitch.

:doh:
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
          gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

i must add i always respond to emails informing me i have won money on lotteries so far i have collected 700 million quid i just cant be bothered to cash the cheques

Comment

Originally posted by Eloise01 View Post
              I get these e-mails regularly.
              Lucky you. I've not received any for years.

Amongst my favourites are the ones from banks that don't even have UK branches! However, there is a serious note on this issue - some of these e-mails are not as obviously false. A couple of times I have had ones from "my bank" that really looked like the genuine article - very, very cleverly constructed and extremely convincing looking.
              Indeed. The "tax refund" site I accessed - and, knowing it to be fake, to which I submitted impossible data such as a birth date of 31 April 1966 - looked quite convincing until it asked for one's Zip Code.

Only the fact that (a) I know for a fact that my bank never e-mail customers, and (b) my exceptionally good protection software alerted them as false gave away the game. But it would have been really easy to fall for it - and many people do.
              How?

Don't they bother to read the URL in the browser address bar?

Comment

In the past I have had several E mails from the New York Police department stating I had been caught and fined exceeding the speed limit. Blimey Mr D's Mondy must have been suoercharged LOL
                sigpic

Comment

I received a similar message yesterday from Santander with whom I have never held an account. I contacted them and forwarded it to the appropriate department to deal with. The message looked so convincing that I guess some people would be taken in.

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                    They wouldn't get any money from me - I've lent it all to that nice Nigerian chap who is promising to give me a fortune when he sorts his financial glitch.

:doh:
                    I'm afraid that some people are so gullible it beggers belief anyway! I recall several years ago a graduate on placement with me received one of the "you have won £5 million, just send us all your bank details..." e-mails. He asked me whether I thought it was for real, and after recovering from the shock of anyone asking such a stupid question, I explained to him in very graphic detail why is was not for real and what would happen if he sent his bank details. So what did he do after this? Yes, he decided that he would send his bank details to get his £5million
                    winnings!!!! Some people are so stupid they deserve what happens to them...

Comment

Originally posted by Eloise01 View Post
                      Some people are so stupid they deserve what happens to them...
                      Matthew 7, vv 1-5. (link)

Comment

And we think graduates are clever?

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                          And we think graduates are clever?
                          Or that barristers are persuasive?

Comment

I used to give them the Inland Revenue bank payment details. Fat chance of them squeezing anything out of that account.

Something else, it just goes to show a single email address can be more trouble than it's worth.

Apart from the jokes, You can't expect your newbie Gran to understand that these aren't real people especially when she has a Natwest account, or Santander, or RBS or Lloyds or Barclays or any other bank offering similar products and is subject to being used in scams
                            I am not a legal professional

I will only comment and give advice in situations which I have experience that has been gained over the years in pre legal negotiation and redress. At the end of the day when there is a legal situation of life changing or serious consequence, always and I mean always seek professional advice from a solicitor.

Comment

I tend to give them details that the DCAs print on their begging letters when they demand I complete a DD to pay some non enforceable debt

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X