• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ebay & Gumtree Vehicle Scam. Barclays provide Fraudsters Accounts

It is probably "sufficient" to comply with the regulations, but it might well not be entirely satisfactory.

Although Romania is part of the EU (I've no idea why we let them in) it may be rather more corrupt (link) than most EU states. Hence, it may be quite possible to buy as many ID cards as one pleases.

The bank statement would be easy to forge and easier still to fish from someone's bin.

Comment

Amazingly we pay a fortune for a passport, yet the rest of Europe can travel freely with an identity card, but that's a whole new discussion.

:focus:

Comment

Originally posted by puddle55 View Post
        In our case we have managed to establish that the account was opened using a Romanian id card and a HSBC bank statement. Don't know about anyone else but to me that does not seem sufficient identification.
        How did you manage to find that out as I have been told nothing, haven't heard back from the Police since reporting it. Have you had any progress with Police ?

Comment

Originally posted by alibee57 View Post
          How did you manage to find that out as I have been told nothing, haven't heard back from the Police since reporting it. Have you had any progress with Police ?
          We bombarded the police day and night and eventually made a complaint to the Chief Constable who passed it back to the plod in charge. I think he got that fed up he gave us bits of information. It has now been passed to Financial Fraud. We spoke to a DCI and advised him that all the accounts were with Barclay's which he seemed surprised about. He promised to get back to us within 2 weeks, still waiting, have chased him a couple of times. We will not give up.

Comment

Originally posted by puddle55 View Post
            We bombarded the police day and night and eventually made a complaint to the Chief Constable who passed it back to the plod in charge. I think he got that fed up he gave us bits of information. It has now been passed to Financial Fraud. We spoke to a DCI and advised him that all the accounts were with Barclay's which he seemed surprised about. He promised to get back to us within 2 weeks, still waiting, have chased him a couple of times. We will not give up.
            Police was supposed to get back to me as soon as they had opened 2 cases because I am in Scotland and goods were sold in Scotland, Scottish law is applied and because eBay are based in England, English law applies. Which I believe will make things even more complicated. I am away to phone Police to see what is going on. Just a thought how easy is it to open an online account, how do you produce proof of who you are, don't have online banking myself so I not sure if it is easy or not.

Comment

We opened a bank account online but had to wait for an approval letter and take 1 photo ID and 2 other proofs of ID to the local branch then wait for the card in the post

Comment

I opened an account online with ING some years ago. Cant really remember what i had to produce but i do know i did not produce a photo. ING now owned by Barclay's, that account will soon be closed, do not want anything to do with them.

Comment

I read the Independent article and the comments about idiots and fools, well i don't feel too much of an idiot or fool now since I just read about how many Countries were drawn in by a scammer selling Fake detectors to Police Forces, The Military and Governments around the world for the sum of $41,200 each so anyone can be fooled. At least these Governments know who the scammer is I haven't got a clue for sure who my scammer really is and will probably never find out the way things are going, the Police being so slow and Barclays and eBay not being interested what so ever as eBay still allow scammers to sell even though they have been reported and Barclays do not take action either as you said Puddle55 it took them 3 weeks to do anything.

Comment

Originally posted by alibee57 View Post
                    I read the Independent article and the comments about idiots and fools, well i don't feel too much of an idiot or fool now since I just read about how many Countries were drawn in by a scammer selling Fake detectors to Police Forces, The Military and Governments around the world for the sum of $41,200 each so anyone can be fooled.
                    Part of the scam was the high price paid - someone paying that sort of money is less likely to suspect the device was an empty plastic box with a radio aerial on the front, or that the "programmed cards" were just a retail theft prevention device and contained no programmable circuitry at all.

At least these Governments know who the scammer is
                    No - they only know who is one of the scammers, whilst some of the governments deceived know of his accomplices in those countries. As far as I know, his contacts in Eastern Europe (where his rubbish was made) have not formally been identified.

I expect a similar scam will pop up in a year or two, this time with "indicator lights" and a beeping sound - both activated by movement sensors on the aerial pivot. It will be just as useless.

eBay still allow scammers to sell
                    At least eBay has put a stop to people offering to sell their soul.

Comment

Looks like I've caught their attention. https://www.facebook.com/BarclaysUK/...70223169679221

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Jones View Post
                        Looks like I've caught their attention. https://www.facebook.com/BarclaysUK/...70223169679221
                        I have just added comment to this through here but when I go to barclays Facebook it is not on recent posts by others have they hidden it or something ?

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Jones View Post
                          I have just added my comments

Comment

They might have hidden it, or Facebook might have hidden it. Facebook are experts when it comes to filtering what (or who) you're allowed to see.

Comment

Anyone heard from the Police ? Police round on Sat and I was told they had found out it was a gang of Eastern Europeans involved in a sophisticated operation scamming people. I don't know much else but they are forwarding my case to the Metropolitan Police as well. Police asked Barclays for all the info on the account used, apparently took them some time to get Barclays to part with info as they were put from dept to dept to dept and they are still waiting for info to arrive. Time to complain to the Financial Ombudsman.

Comment

Hopefully if they mess the police about too much someone high-up at the bank will get charged with obstruction.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X