• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Is it not about time barclays where held accountable as well as the scammers as they are well aware that this is going on and are doing nothing about it.

Comment

• Re: Barclays and vehicle scam via ebay and gumtree

Although Barclays account for around 47% of the mule accounts we report they are not the only bank affected. It's not a case of nothing being done, I can assure you of that.

We work quite closely with all the banks and whilst I agree there is much to be done to prevent there isn't a simple solution.

I often use the analogy that trying to find a fraudulent account is trying to find a needle in a whole field full of haystacks.
      Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

First of all I would mention that I am retired bank staff.

Firstly I would say that online fraud perpetrated through bank accounts used to launder stolen funds has reached such an epidemic proportion, and this type of fraud is only a part of the financial fraud going on, that it is time for some serious changes to be made. Above all I would recommend that any personal account opened should have fingerprints of the opener taken at the same time, otherwise shutting down multiple accounts is as useful as swatting mosquitos in a swamp. I would also have it linked to the police database and allow them access to it. At least this way, when a scammer's account is shut and he is black-listed, he stays black-listed and doesn't just trot down the road and open another account with fake ID.

Human Rights I know would be breached, but having fraudsters swamping ad sites, benefit claims and banks is the alternative. In the olden days banks used to have to provide new customers with cheque cards and they were stopped up each day and they took the losses. The way things are now it's the man in the street taking the losses and the banks don't have to concern themselves. If this were their money being lost their attitude would be different, I assure you.

I concentrate on scam car ads on AT UK and they have improved dramatically very recently in stamping down on them but something dramatic HAS to change with regard to bank accounts being used to launder funds. Theoretically no bank should hold any bank used to launder money or avoid tax, but that suggestion is laughable.

Saying that little or nothing can be done is unacceptable as this has grown into a crime industry with suspicions that it underlies many areas of crime including potentially terrorism. I have every reason to believe that the same organisation that I work against on AT UK is the same one Buster Jack sees on EBay and the scale of it is amazing. I know that they are involved in phishing and, most amazing of all, I have seen news reports of frauds against banks where these fraudulently opened accounts have been used against them.

Fingerprinting those who open accounts (at the bank) would not only cut this out, but it would be a fantastic tool for the police to stamp out organised crime in many areas.

It won't happen and the risk is that commerce, particularly online, will be damaged as consumers lose faith in the internet.

Comment

For obvious reasons I am unable to disclose all the details but, rest assured, LegalBeagles are doing lots of work with the banks, police & other sectors in the background.

The problem will never go away, there will always be scams of one form or another & people of all levels who fall for them, but hopefully by raising awareness, changing behaviours and using our knowledge to bring down some of these parasites.

I want to take this opportunity to thank all those involved in the background who help us, you know who you are even if many others will never know.

To date, working together, we have discovered many thousands of fraudulent listings, Buster & Boycie get these taken down quite quickly, usually before anyone else even sees them.

Our team of scambaiters have extracted details of over 600 mule bank accounts, from there, working very closely with the Fraud Ops Teams at each and every bank in the UK, Europe & beyond, we have then assisted them to close them down.

We work closely with the Met Police and others and I meet with them regularly.

At the minute I am exploring a widespread awareness campaign, hopefully to launch in August, following Trading Standards & CAB's July Scams Awareness Month.
          Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

Comment

well ty Barclays for your return of 140.30p from 4 grand that's gunna get me a fantastic car what should I do next except this or battle on like everyone else im stumped now.

Comment

Michael, I've replied to your email.

Comment

I have been scammed for £9200, please can somebody tell me the outcome from their horrific experience.. did anyone get anywhere with Barclays, did anyone ever see their money again?

Please reply
                Last edited by Tools; 29th June 2015, 10:29:AM. Reason: removed email address

Comment

Hi James, I have emailed you for more detail.

Sadly in most cases by the time people realise they have been scammed the money has been withdrawn by the scammer. I have asked you some questions in the email, if you could get back to me as soon as possible please

I have also removed your email address from your post, having it public leaves you at risk of receiving spam or other unwanted messages.

Comment

I too have just been scammed! Again into a barclays account! How can this scam have been going on for so long and nothing be done about it? Surely the bank account that the money goes into is traceable? How can we all have lost so much money and nothing has been done about it?! It's ridiculous! HAs anyone managed to get their money back?

Comment

Originally posted by bickens6 View Post
                      I too have just been scammed! Again into a barclays account! How can this scam have been going on for so long and nothing be done about it? Surely the bank account that the money goes into is traceable? How can we all have lost so much money and nothing has been done about it?! It's ridiculous! HAs anyone managed to get their money back?
                      This is exactly what I have been saying. I since have received a letter from Barclays saying the account has now been closed with no remanding funds so try are unable to refund any money to me. How much did you lose and how? Has it been reported?

Comment

http://busterjack.blogspot.co.uk/201...campervan.html

Nearly brought this after some checks online discovered it was scam

Emails from - lucy@btcall.co.uk
                        using fake urls for ebay - http://ukpriva.com/uk/itm/16/index2....24AS1E0E22FF=0
                        Found it on Autotrader

Comment

Just to mention that another OVF victim has just had some good news.

She told me : "Barclays are going to refund the full amount £7,266 and £50 as a gesture of good will for not dealing with our first complaint to them in time. I am over the moon!!"

It's taken about 5 months I think, but for her it's like winning 7 grand

The scam related to a VW T2 campervan on eBay, the money was transferred on 10th Feb 2015

Happy ending I suppose, soured by the reminder that the criminals kept that £7266. And one way or another, Barclays Bank customers will end up paying the bill.

Last edited by Tools; 5th July 2015, 06:46:AM.

Comment

Three haulage company websites. Spot the difference!

http://www.europa-worldwide-logistics.com/about.html
                            http://www.dp-transport.co.uk/about.html
                            http://www.nationdrive.com/about.html (this looks like the original that the other two were copied from)

Comment

Hi there, I am so glad that I found that website, shame only too late as exactly week ago I start be a victim of (well know Lucy) scam. I bought a car from AT, get email from paypal with invoice and I made a bank transfer payment to Martin Lopez
                              TSB
                              Bank account 00646060
                              Sort code 77-71-33

I've lost £1.800, can't believe how stupid I was. Made so many transaction via paypal so didn't expect this one will be a scam.
                              Please if anyone can help me

Comment

Hi Natalia, sorry to hear you have fallen victim to this. I have your emails and have passed the account directly to the fraud team at TSB.

You mentioned that you also paid an amount by debit card first, can you give me further details about that too, was it paid to the same account or somewhere else?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X