• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Online merchant survey

05th December 2014
    More than three-quarters of online merchants (79pc) believe the growing proliferation of markets, purchasing channels and payment methods pose a significant challenge for effectively dealing with fraud. That is according to the Fragmentation of Fraud report by global payments product company Worldpay.
    Only one in five (20pc) of online merchants stated they are very confident about their ability to manage new fraud threats and half find it difficult to keep up with fraud trends. Kevin Dallas, chief product and marketing officer, Worldpay e-commerce, said: “What is clear is that in this ever-changing eCommerce landscape fraud is becoming more difficult for online merchants to manage. As merchants continue to expand their cross-border operations, sell through more channels and offer more payment methods to meet local customer needs, keeping abreast of new fraud threats is becoming increasingly challenging.”
    The report, which surveyed employees responsible for fraud prevention at more than 250 international online merchants, found that almost three-quarters (73pc) plan to operate through new channels in the next two-three years. However, 77pc believe that a multi-channel approach makes fraud prevention more difficult and 76pc feel it makes them more open to fraud attacks.
    International online merchants sell to an average of 14 countries, yet 70pc admit they struggle to keep ahead of fraudulent activities within those different markets. With three quarters (76pc) of online merchants stating that they expect international orders to make up a greater proportion of their customer orders in two years, these issues are only set to intensify.
    As alternative payments continue to grow in popularity, the greater variety of payment methods merchants’ offer is also seen as a risk to fraud prevention. Some 63pc are struggling to keep ahead of fraudulent activities across different payment methods. And among merchants accepting specific payment methods, there is greatest concern about fraud for credit cards (82pc), virtual currencies (82pc), e-wallets (78pc) and mobile payments (75pc).
    Tony Sales, convicted fraudster, said: “Thanks to the internet, the world is a smaller place and most people can now buy goods from any country. Unfortunately so can criminal gangs. Using fake payment methods, from stolen credit card numbers to mobile wallet accounts, they can systematically attack companies around the world. The information contained in this report provides true insight into how fraudsters will attack online merchant’s systems over the coming months and years and should give online merchants a wake-up call to respond.”
    The report suggests that merchants are concerned they do not have the resources to manage fraud effectively. The main barriers to being able to reduce fraudulent orders are not having a dedicated omni-channel fraud and loss prevention method (57pc) and lack of time to investigate and implement methods that could better manage fraud (49pc). Some 82pc also feel that a partnership approach with a fraud expert is critical to keeping ahead of threats.
    Worldpay suggests that, on average merchants can reject up to 2.6pc of transactions because of fraud. To a merchant with an annual turnover of $50 million that’s a loss of $1.3 million – so it’s critical that merchants can effectively fight fraud, added Kevin Dallas. “Merchants should look for a risk management tool that gives them a holistic view of fraud threats, including all payment types, channels and countries. I’d also advise them to work closely with a partner that understands fraud threats to ensure they can continue to fight fraud as their businesses grow and eCommerce continues to evolve.”
    And Diarmuid Considine, Senior Commerce Operations Manager at Skype adds: “This is a valuable contribution to the community of fraud professionals as it helps benchmark each company’s strategy, both in terms of resource management and channel/region focus. Like all good surveys, it helps you to start to ask the right questions and to reflect on the direction you should be taking your company.”
    To download the report visit http://www.worldpay.com/global/insig...n-fraud-report.
    Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on emailShare on printMore Sharing Services

Comment

Latest Scammer script from Anna Schuster annasc74@gmail.com **IF YOU ARE VIEWING THIS AFTER A SEARCH, DO NOT SEND ANY MONEY TO THIS SCAMMER** See here for details why http://legalbeagles.info/scamaccounts/index.html

Let me explain. I do not live in Foveran, I live in Poland so I can't go there every time someone wants to see it, plus I can't go alone as I am a woman. I will get somebody to bring it to you (a neighbour of my late grandfather) if you decide to buy I would like to be paid through eBay. I can arrange to be brought to you in 2-3 days and you will have the chance to inspect it before I get paid. eBay's purchase protection guarantees that the van is exactly as I described it; basically, once delivered, you will have a 5-days inspection period to decide whether you want to keep it or not before they release the funds to me. In this time you can even run an RAC or AA inspection and if you decide not to keep it you will get refunded in no time and they will charge me with the return costs. I will receive the payment from eBay only after you confirm that you received the van in good order. You can read more athttp://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/buy/con...rn-policy.html

If you want it, let me know your phone number along with your name so I can register the sale and proceed. I'll also need your post code so I can calculate the distance.

If you will decide to not go through now then is not a problem I still quite have a few more offers from potential buyers. Hopefully, I made myself understood and we will be closing the deal. I look forward to hearing from you soon

Thanks
      Anna

PS: My number is 01224968192 which is forwarded to my home number here

Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

This will serve as a major blow to those opening mule accounts

http://www.nationalcrimeagency.gov.u...e-id-documents
        Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

Comment

I have just been scammed for over £6000 by the eBay seller shown on your websites selling cars. When I contacted eBay to report it, the ebay advisor said it looked like eBay were already investigating the possibility that the seller was a scam, because his pages had been taken down from there site.
          I was contacted directly by the seller after contacting him through the eBay contact form on the sellers page.
          My question is if eBay were aware of this possible scam why didn't they inform me that there was a potential threat when they saw that I had been in contact with the seller through there website. Can I hold eBay accountable for my fraud? Because they didn't inform me.

Comment

A good question and one which everyone thinks they should be accountable for. However, eBay also say that there is no Buyer Protection on vehicles, not to trade outside of eBay etc, etc.

When did you send the money to the fraudster and can you please give me their bank details.

Comment

It appears that I have also been scammed by Anna Schuster on the imaginary purchase of a Ford Iveco Removal Lorry 7.5t Dropwell. Both my bank (Santander) and Barclays are unwilling or unable to do anything to help so it looks like I am £3200 down aswell.

Bank details as follows

Bank Name: Barclays
              Account number: 53640809
              Sort code: 20-95-61
              Beneficiary Name: Transferwise

Comment

When did you transfer funds?

The account is actually a genuine account, it belongs to the money transfer company Transferwise Ltd, you need to speak with them too.

You can contact them at kyc@transferwise.com , you will need the "reference" from the fake invoice they sent you as this is their customer ID number, can you also post up that number for me too please.

Comment

I saw that Transferwise had a website but assumed that this was all part of the scam.

The reference number given was P519756 and the money was transfered on the 18th of this month.

I'll see what Transferwise come up with right away.

Comment

Thanks for the customer number, I have passed on details to my contact at Transferwise Ltd but I recommend you do so also as soon as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by enyamluap View Post
                      I saw that Transferwise had a website but assumed that this was all part of the scam.

The reference number given was P519756 and the money was transfered on the 18th of this month.

I'll see what Transferwise come up with right away.
                      Good news for you, Transferwise Ltd should be contacting you shortly, together we have hopefully managed to stop the transfer and you should be receiving a refund. Please let me know asap after they have contacted you.

Comment

Well done Tools:santa_smiley:

Comment

Originally posted by Tools View Post
                          Good news for you, Transferwise Ltd should be contacting you shortly, together we have hopefully managed to stop the transfer and you should be receiving a refund. Please let me know asap after they have contacted you.
                          Very good news indeed, thankyou for your help with this, just to confirm the money has been refunded to my account.

And thanks also to Epp Saks at Transferwise who sorted the refund.

Still proceeding with Action Fraud and hopefully someone can stop these scumbags !

Comment

Originally posted by enyamluap View Post
                            Very good news indeed, thankyou for your help with this, just to confirm the money has been refunded to my account.

And thanks also to Epp Saks at Transferwise who sorted the refund.

Still proceeding with Action Fraud and hopefully someone can stop these scumbags !
                            Brilliant News I'll let Tools know it came through xxxx I'm sure you realise how lucky you have been and it's very very rare anyone who's been caught by these scamming gits ever sees a penny of it again. Must be :santa3: xxxx

www.scamaccounts.co.uk for future ref of how not to get scammed again.... and pass it on to your friends.....
                            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks to Epp indeed, she actually managed to stop the transaction whilst working on Christmas Day. You definitely need to pass on any information and Epp's details to Action Fraud, I doubt they will do much with the information but at least it is another missing piece to the jigsaw.

Really pleased we could help and as Amethyst has said please read the www.scamaccounts.co.uk we have put together and share it with as many people as possible. Can you forward any emails you got from the scammer to me at julian.siddle@legalbeagles.info please.

Comment

My advice to all ' bargain hunters' is
                                If you found a £20 note on the floor ..how much would you want for it ?
                                Bear that in mind next time you see these ' great ' offers. go bargain price cars.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X