• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Sorry to hear you have fallen victim to these scams

Can you give me the account details and the exact time/date you sent payment please
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Payment was sent 1st November.

eBay representative bank account details:

Bank Name: Barclays
      Account Owner: Anthony Merca
      Account Number: 73026450
      Sort Code: 20-27-49

Reference: PEU6450

IN ORDER TO AVOID PAYMENT DELAYS,
      PLEASE WRITE DOWN ONLY THE REFERENCE PROVIDED ABOVE.
      NO OTHER WORDS OR OTHER NUMBERS.
      We recommend the online transfer system, because it saves a considerable amount of time. Online Banking saves you the trouble of going to a bank and wasting your valuable time (payments can also be made on the weekends). If this is your first time making an online transfer, please go to your bank’s website in order to read about the procedure.
      The electronic transfer from bank to bank is considered to be the safest international payment method. The transfer data are transmitted through an encrypted communication channel.
      The following items are covered by eBay Buyer Protection:

111494787664 2002 COMPASS AVANTGUARD 300 PEUGEOT BOXER SWB 4 BERTH 1 £5,400.00 £0.00
      Subtotal: £5,400.00
      Shipping and Handling: £0.00
      Total £5,400.00

Originally posted by Tools View Post
      Sorry to hear you have fallen victim to these scams

Can you give me the account details and the exact time/date you sent payment please

Comment

Thank you, I`ll check to see if/when we reported that one
        Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

Comment

On the 26/10/2014 myself and my partner found a motorhome on Ebay from user ID BACKFIRESKATE. I messaged the seller asking how we could pay for the item as it was a classified advert so there was no "buy it now" option available.

I then messaged the seller again on 27/10/2014 as we had not heard anything back from the seller as we were desperate not to lose it as we had missed out on previous ones. On the 29/10/2014 I received a text message from someone claiming to be "Daniel Shaw" on 07547375734 the seller of the motorhome asking if I would like further pictures of the motorhome. I received further photos including the V5C (log book) from email address danshaw114@gmail.com confirming that he was indeed the seller so I proceeded to do further checks on the vehicle to safeguard any potential problems. I then did the vehicle HPI check and also verified the MOT and Tax status the whole story checked as described so I was happy to proceed through Ebay.

On the 30/11/2014 I received an email invoice from what I believed to be Ebay confirming that I had purchased the motorhome and that I should follow there guidance rules to be protected up to the value of £20,000. I studied the email carefully ensuring that we were 100% protected then contacted Ebay through their "Live Chat" service asking if this was correct and definitely through Ebay. As they could see from the picture of the transcript I would never of known that this was not Ebay replying back to me so I sent the payment for £5,400 via my online banking service. Once I had sent the payment I had a message confirming that this payment was subject to further checks which I did think was strange at the time so I informed the seller that the bank were doing these checks.

The next morning I contacted Barclays who confirmed that these were routine checks and they were waiting for the checks to clear, by this time the seller had been on the phone to me claiming that he was going to sell the motorhome to someone else as he thought I was messing him about. I did not want to lose the motorhome so I called Barclays once again on Saturday 1st November and they advised me to make the payment directly from my bank in the high street and then cancel the transfer request I did online to avoid the security checks. Once I had transferred the money from my local bank I then contacted Ebay through their "Live Chat" and they confirmed that they had received the payment and that it was being held in their holding account. I also contacted the seller who also confirmed they had received the money and the motorhome would be delivered on Tuesday 4th November.

On Tuesday 4th November I had messaged "Daniel Shaw" asking him what time I should be expecting the vehicle and received no reply. By 5pm I was getting suspicious so I went onto the main Ebay site from my PC and asked them via live chat if there was a further problem with the transaction. To my complete and utter horror they confirmed that the transaction was that of a fraudulent transaction and I should contact the police.

Comment

Sadly you have told a similar story to many other people.

Unfortunately the V5C logbook will have featured in the previous genuine listing that was copied and used to produce the fraudulent one. Carrying out a HPI check on the registration number would have shown all to be ok with the vehicle, again, the scammer would have known this, however, the actual vehicle was not in his possession. A HPI check should have shown the last sale date, usually conflicting with the scammers story that they had owned it for x years.

Please take a look at http://legalbeagles.info/scamaccounts/index.html for more guidance

Comment

The worst part of the whole situation is actually being advised by Barclays to go upto the bank and do a direct transfer. If I had left the original transfer via my online banking then I may not be in this situation.

I wonder if I could get a copy of the phone call / transcript from barclays or whether they will try and sweep it under the carpet too.

Comment

To be perfectly honest it wouldn't have made a difference, you would have sent the funds either way and in both cases the scammer would have removed funds within hours of receiving it.

As for the account you gave me details of, it wasn't one I was aware of but I have passed it onto my contact at Barclays Fraud Dept and indicated you have already reported it to them.

Comment

I replied to a car ad on gumtree this evening and lo and behold, despite the ad being on Dorset Gumtree, 'Alice' is working in Scotland.. But it's okay, she will ship me the car at her own expense and I will be protected by EBay payment protection. I reported the ad to Gumtree and it has disappeared in the last few minutes, although maybe Alice removed it?! Email addresses involved were alice@btworld.co.uk and len227@btworld.co.uk.
                  So pleased I recognised it as a scam!

Comment

Hi and welcome to Legalbeagles. Thank you for posting the email addresses, hopefully others will now find them and be saved.

Please help to raise awareness to everyone to prevent them becoming a victim. Post this link to as many of your friends as possible to spread the word http://legalbeagles.info/scamaccounts/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Kleapatra View Post
                      I replied to a car ad on gumtree this evening and lo and behold, despite the ad being on Dorset Gumtree, 'Alice' is working in Scotland.. But it's okay, she will ship me the car at her own expense and I will be protected by EBay payment protection. I reported the ad to Gumtree and it has disappeared in the last few minutes, although maybe Alice removed it?! Email addresses involved were alice@btworld.co.uk and len227@btworld.co.uk.
                      So pleased I recognised it as a scam!
                      Tools, please note the email domain. This is not btopenworld but a private domain. probably would leave a trail if you could get permissions to trace...

Comment

Originally posted by ComputerGuru View Post
                        Tools, please note the email domain. This is not btopenworld but a private domain. probably would leave a trail if you could get permissions to trace...
                        And how would we go about that?

Comment

Originally posted by Tools View Post
                          And how would we go about that?
                          Well it would require police probably but it is a private domain linked to google docs. the domain owner is traceable and the IP addresses used are traceable. If you have an inbound email from them then the header will give the senders IP etc. I would start with tracing the domain owner and moving forwards from there. It can't be too sophisticated or they would not get the reply messages!

Comment

CG, I've PM'd you

Comment

alice65@attshare.com SCAMMER !!!!!
                              Attached Files
                              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Barclays Mule just obtained (from 3rd party)

Bank Name: Barclays
                                Account number: 53640809
                                Sort code: 20-95-61
                                Beneficiary Name: Transferwise

Relates to a Volkswagen T5 listing on eBay

Other stuff relating to this :-

My name is Anadelle G. and I will be glad to assist you with this transaction. If there is anything I can help you with regarding this transaction, you can come to Live Support by clicking here. Enter your details and click on "Start Chat" on the bottom of the page.

Thank you fo

Live chat: https://chatserver.comm100.com/ChatWindow.aspx?planId=243...

Scam email : annasc74@gmail.com

First email :

Hi and thanks for the email. I am sorry for the late reply. The camper is in very good condition, no problems here,8 months mot and tax, service history, hpi clear. I must tell you that it belonged to my grandfather who unfortunately passed away 3 months ago. The price I am looking for is 4,500 pounds (I can also have it delivered within the UK for 120 pounds). Please see the attached pictures. Let me know if you are still interested. It's located in Foveran, near Aberdeen.

Thank you, Anna

Second:

Hi again and sorry for my late reply. Is still for sale, let me explain. I do not live in Foveran, I live in Poland so I can't go there every time someone wants to see it, plus I can't go alone as I am a woman. I will get somebody to bring it to you (a neighbour of my late grandfather) if you decide to buy I would like to be paid through paypal. I can arrange to be brought to you in 2-3 days and you will have the chance to inspect it before I get paid. PayPal's purchase protection guarantees that the camper is exactly as I described it; basically, once delivered, you will have a 5-days inspection period to decide whether you want to keep it or not before they release the funds to me. In this time you can even run an RAC or AA inspection and if you decide not to keep it you will get refunded in no time and they will charge me with the return costs. I will receive the payment from paypal only after you confirm that you received the camper in good order. You can read more athttp://pages.ebay.co.uk/.../contextual/return-policy.html

If you want it, let me know your phone number along with your name so I can register the sale and proceed. I'll also need your post code so I can calculate the distance.

If you will decide to not go through now then is not a problem I still quite have a few more offers from potential buyers. Hopefully, I made myself understood and we will be closing the deal. I look forward to hearing from you soon

Thanks

And last:

Hi Caroline

I have been notified by paypal that the invoice has been sent. Did you get it? Please check your mailbox including the Spam folder because I've found my copy misplaced there and advise. Also let me know if you have all the funds together and you are able to proceed with the payment today because I have other interested and I need an answer asap.

Thanks,
                                Understanding returns policies
                                On eBay, sellers can choose to set their own returns policy for items they want to sell on eBay. Examine the seller's returns policy carefully before you bid on or buy the item. This will help ensure that you have a satisfying buying experience.
                                PAGES.EBAY.CO.UK

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X