• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Changing tack for a moment, I've found an interesting example.

Came across another dealer hack tonight

WCS

1st hacked dealer account of 8th October

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/services...1/sort/default 8 Oct

Out of office!!! For more details contact the owner at BAKER9034@GMAIL.COM !!! PLEASE USE REG NUMBER AS REFERENCE!!!THANK YOU !!!

ALERT - NEW EMAIL USED BY SCAMMER - BAKER9034@GMAIL.COM

Example

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ck?logcode=dsp 8 Oct

£9,900 2012 Land Rover Range Rover Evoque 2.2 SD4 Dynamic 3dr Auto
    and that same email address is being used in South African Autotrader adverts

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=uk

SKODA OCTAVIA Octavia 2.0 T CR vRS 5dr R 95,000 +VAT
    42,000 kmSaloon2.0 LPetrol
    ++DON`T CALL US PRIVATE SALE ===CONTACT THE OWNER DIRECTLY TO: BAKER9034@GMAIL.COM """PLEASE USE PRICE/CAR TITLE AS REFERENCE""" R 95,000 +VAT
    It would be interesting to discover through which bank accounts funds are laundered.

Cross border money laundering on newly opened personal accounts ? I hate to bring my inflated intelligence/ego/sarcasm in to play but, if it's known that this criminal organisation is targeting a country such as South Africa and, presumably laundering money through their UK bank accounts, it provides another method to identify those accounts.

I seem to recall that major cross-border fraud falls within the scope of more than merely Action Fraud - SFO and Interpol.
    Last edited by Boycie; 8th October 2014, 19:14:PM.

Comment

Quick removal.

Well, compared to eBay anyway.

It was 'live' when I clicked on your link at about 20:20, by 20:25 it was gone

Comment

Comment

I guess this was a cock-up, as this email address baker9034@gmail.com is used for AutoTrader South Africa scams

Gets a mention here:-

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&hl=en&ct=clnk

Comment

• Re: Barclays and vehicle scam via ebay and gumtree

Autotrader za even has examples of what to look out for in a scam

http://www.autotrader.co.za/latest-scams

Does AT UK have the same page anywhere Boycie?
            Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Just looked, all I can find easily is this

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/advice/2...ay-safe-online
              Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

Comment

@Tools

Sorry - in my original post I had mistaken the question - whoops.

Autotrader UK do have scam and fraud warning pages and there is a good reason for doing so, as there is for banks too. It's a sensible tactic if anyone looking up scams or frauds about a major company on Google gets that company's own fraud page on the top of the list which carries its own sensible advice and warnings which I can't criticise. However they are not likely to mention say examples of insider fraud with regard to banks or dealer account hacks with regard to ad sites.

For that reason I craft my own warnings in template fashion in various forms to give them the greatest impact, for the wordings used, and to give the best warnings to potential victims. I frequently check how my word arrangements come up on Google search, and the rolling thread in which I list dealer hacks has nearly 70,000 viewings on its own, which pleases me not for reasons of vanity but because it helps to make it more visible. That's why I also include so much evidence in the form of links and screen prints. The information like email addresses of the scammer and vehicle registrations being specific search items also pull in those specific searches.

I won't comment on this case as there has been no judgement yet, nor should anyone else, but you might be interested.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ourt-told.html

NatWest bank manager gave £830,000 to fraudster without checking who it was 'because he wanted to eat his fish and chips', court told

… and seriously I admire the Met Commissioner's candour - a problem unrecognised cannot be addressed.

http://eandt.theiet.org/news/2014/oct/cyber-police.cfm?

Police have still not "got to grips" with online fraud despite a huge rise in the crime, the UK's most senior officer has admitted.

The Metropolitan Police has seen a 54 per cent rise in reports of cyber-crime in the past year, with half of the 17,000 cases referred to the force by Action Fraud involving the use of technology.
                Last edited by Boycie; 9th October 2014, 22:04:PM.

Comment

http://www.gumtree.com/p/harley-davi...cle/1082423688

please be aware that this follows similar pattern to many of posts I managed to stop a friend falling for it

bank details as follows Barclays bank 23379892
                  sort code 20-65-18
                  payee A.Chastain

listing is still live can someone who knows how check/report it
                  advertised in NORWICH tho when contacted by email only (ven1900uk@gmail.com) was told
                  "am going thru divorce and working on oil rigs, bike is now in Dundee,Scotland can deliver for £125)
                  seller then drew up a private ebay listing

MANY THANKS

Comment

Boycie would it be possible to produce a security app, based on your system, once installed would allow buyers to automatically ID fraud Ads?

Comment

That sounds like an interesting idea to me 'righty' and, of course, could encompass the work of 'Buster Jack' too but it's outside my abilities. Ad sites give very good warnings about how to avoid scams and fraud, however they won't point out the fraudulent adverts themselves - of course. As the volume of fraudulent adverts increase and they become more widespread, because online shopping is too much a part of modern life, then a means for consumers to avoid fraud will be required. The greater the problem - the greater the need, but I only deal with one scam gang and there are many more I don't even look at along with the usual 'clockers' and 'cut and shut merchants'.

Comment

Originally posted by tomguin View Post

please be aware that this follows similar pattern to many of posts I managed to stop a friend falling for it

sort code 20-65-18
                        payee A.Chastain

advertised in NORWICH tho when contacted by email only (ven1900uk@gmail.com) was told
                        "am going thru divorce and working on oil rigs, bike is now in Dundee,Scotland can deliver for £125)

MANY THANKS
                        Reported Tom, thank you.

Comment

In my mind not enough being done by the police to combat Internet fraud and scams. It's also not easy to report to the police as they now seem to have just one group of officers investigating fraud on the web. Almost impossible if you get scammed from overseas. Thankfully some of the members on here have been doing their bit in getting the adverts and items removed from Gumtree and eBay. Well done to those that are trying to stamp out these scams.

Comment

Originally posted by tomguin View Post

sort code 20-65-18
                            payee A.Chastain

MANY THANKS
                            This is the same bank account they just tried to sell me a 2011 KTM 990 Adventure Dakar Edition.
                            Same story: I'm recently divorced and now on the rigs off Scotland.
                            Same email address: ven1900uk@gmail.com
                            His phone number was +44 7732624960, this was his initial contact after I contacted him about his Gumtree advert.
                            Definitely a scammer.

I have just told all this (and more) to Tools via PM...

Cheers.

Comment

Replied to you, was also for sale 2 months ago here http://www.usedmotors4sale.co.uk/det...eAPEYEdlE.html

and also here on Gumtree http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ient=firefox-a

Comment

New (I think) mule

Please close ASAP

PMs sent to Tools Boycie and Rod

To submit the payment, provide your bank with the information listed below:

First name: Isaac
                                Last name: Villaldo Herreruela (eBay Regional Manager designated for your transaction)
                                Sort code: 776832
                                Account:
                                IBAN:
                                GB49TSBS77683200290868
                                Bank:
                                TSB BANK PLC
                                BIC:
                                TSBSGB21345
                                Branch Address: 3 Brand Street, Hitchin, SG5 1LP
                                Amount : £4,375.00

Company: eBay, Inc. (DO NOT USE as Beneficiary Name as payment will not clear eBay Regional Manager account as it may be directed to our main/primary account and this will delay the transaction)
                                Note: When payment is sent you will have to put as reference your Case ID number(261623305760
                                ). This enables us to keep a precise record of all transactions.

Relates to this:- http://busterjack.blogspot.co.uk/201...o-hn07tcz.html

------------------------------------------------

Comms transcript:-

Me
                                To neal.coles@sky.com

Oct 12 at 4:53 PM

I want that X5 tomorrow, have the money ready - Please reply ASAP - Thanks

Neal Coles replied:-

Hello!

This is a very nice 2007 BMW X5 SE 7S 3.0D AUTO BLACK in like new condition.
                                The asking price is £4375. The car is back at my place in Edinburgh. I am currently located in Mancester with my business: I'm a home builder. The car can be picked up in Edinburgh starting 11/11. If you want to buy it sooner, I can provide delivery through escrow for £0.25 per mile.

Thanks,

Neal

Me
                                To : neal.coles@sky.com

That's no problem. Happy to collect in Edinburgh, although delivery would be brilliant (and £0.25 per mile is very reasonable). What do I do next? I'm not familiar with escrow

Hello!

If you want to collect the car you can do it starting 11/11. If you want it sooner and have it delivered I need your username, full name and shipping address to start the shipping.

thank you
                                Neal

Me

Hello Neal

Okay, my UserName is london258

My name is Jack Broadbent

My address is 15 Trent Bridge Road Nottingham, Notts NG2 6AG

I look forward to hearing from you

J. Broadbent

Hello,

Glad we can do business. I have received your shipping information and already sent to eBay. They will contact you and let you know all the details about how to end this transaction
                                Please keep me update with any news from eBay.

Regards,

Neal

Me

Dear Neal

Thanks very much, I'm really looking forward to this!

Regards

J. Broadbent

(As a cricket fan I used the address of Nottinghamshire Cricket Club. I thought of using the name Chris Broad but decided to make one up)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X