• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ebay & Gumtree Vehicle / Car Scams

Hello Agerag, it is a long time ago but did you manage to recover your money? I have a similar experience with Barclays! best wishes, Annie

Comment

Unfortunately Annie, at present, unless there are funds still in the account when it is reported as fraudulent there are no monies to refund.

This highlights the importance of reporting the account as soon as possible to the bank as your first priority.
      Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

you probably know better but I have a lawyer who has an idea of how to help me, if I can prove that the same account has been used by the scam over a while. I wanted to give it a chance for me and the others damaged by the same fraudster.
        Kind regards

Comment

i wander how a claim against a bank for negligence in allowing a scammer to open an account ( for the full amount lost in the transaction ) , If the scammers details were false when they opened them would go.
          crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

it is simple: the bank doesn't check properly the credentials of the client. Practically they cover money laundry and other crimes. In Germany we have Sammelklagen, collective pressing charges against someone. I see this as a hope perhaps although read here:

http://www.allenovery.com/publicatio...ird-party.aspx

A very evil business

Comment

we have bought from mobile.de something equivalent to Autotrader UK I suppose.
              In Germany during every transaction the bank has to check if the account owner and the account number are in agreement! Otherwise the transaction in NOT valid. I didn't know that in Britain this is not the same. So I transfered my money to a corporate account but it was a scam's account making me believe he was the company! British banks cooperate with crime. Barclays is as it seems part of the dirty game...

Comment

Reading that case and judgement this particular fraud type would not succeed.

Until the bank is made aware the account is being operated for fraud they have no knowledge of that being the case so there is no dishonest assistance, no deceit, no conspiracy, no negligence and no unjust enrichment.

Sadly this approach would fail in court and the claimants would be liable for costs for both sides.
                Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Tools View Post
                  Reading that case and judgement this particular fraud type would not succeed.

Until the bank is made aware the account is being operated for fraud they have no knowledge of that being the case so there is no dishonest assistance, no deceit, no conspiracy, no negligence and no unjust enrichment.

Sadly this approach would fail in court and the claimants would be liable for costs for both sides.
                  How do I know that the bank has not been notified before me about the fraudulent account? If someone can prove to me that he has transfered money to the same account weeks before I did and complained to the bank and the bank kept the account open?

Comment

I communicate and have met with the Fraud Director of Barclays Bank, we discussed at length the issues raised with this and other frauds. Barclays shutter an account the moment they receive reliable information that it is being operated for use in fraud.

Any funds left in the account (which is usually zero as the scammers withdraw it pretty much within hours of it being deposited) are reserved until a victim comes forward with proof that their money was deposited and that a fraud has occurred. There needs to be a clear match of an amount to a victim, and because of the limited amounts left in when they do manage to shutter an account with funds remaining, it is pretty much last payment in - first refund out.

Comment

what does the Fraud Director defines: reliable information?

Comment

As an example

Sort Code 12-34-56
                        Account number 123456789

Receives two payments of £1000, one on the 1st January 1pm from victim A and one on the 1st January 2pm from victim B.

At 2:05 pm the account holder (scammer) withdraws £1500.

The account is reported as being operated fraudulently at 2:10 pm, the account is shuttered with £500 remaining in the account.

One victim (A or B) contacts the bank with a crime reference number from the Police or Action Fraud a clear link is made and the victim is offered £500 refund. The victim accepts and no funds remain.

The second victim contacts the bank 1 week later, again with a crime reference number and a clear link..........no funds remain, no refund can be given.

That is the sad truth I am afraid, hence the importance of contacting the bank as soon as possible and reporting it to Action Fraud.

Comment

• Re: Barclays and vehicle scam via ebay and gumtree

[ http://ebayscamhunter.blogspot.co.uk...ite-power.html

why is this service anavailable? Best regards!

Comment

Originally posted by Annie-777 View Post
                            what does the Fraud Director defines: reliable information?
                            A reported fraud with a crime reference number or a reliable source with a proven track record. I report accounts frequently, either direct to a banks fraud dept or via another contact I have who has a good network of contacts with the fraud depts of most banks within Europe.

Comment

• Re: Barclays and vehicle scam via ebay and gumtree

Originally posted by Annie-777 View Post
                              [ http://ebayscamhunter.blogspot.co.uk...ite-power.html

why is this service anavailable? Best regards!
                              Apologies Annie, how do you mean unavailable?

Comment

does the bank in such cases also monitor the "name" of the account holder (corporate or private) so as to prevent that the scam closes one account and at the same time opens another, continuing their fraud?
                                Or if the account holder runs more accounts in their bank? Does this belong to their control mechanisms?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X