• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ebay & Gumtree Vehicle / Car Scams

Multi pull posting over many sale sites is also a way they are doing this..

i have another hobby, cnc machines, these are expensive items, one of the posters on the forum i use has just been caught out.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/7670-ebay-con/page2

I went to view a none existant one 5 months ago that was up for 5k ink delivery...... you sort of dont expect industrial machines to be in cons. Using google image search as probably the best way to initially check if your being scammed because they seem to post the same pictures across all sites. Its harder to do with autotrader ( takes a bit of tweaking ).
    crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Scambait, many thanks to Rob for this. Posting up for searches

Autotrader vehicle scammer, peter.shulze791@gmail.com

Fake vehicle escrow site http://escrowbiovaults.co.uk/

Beneficiary / Account Name : BIOVAULT LTD
      Account Number : 63692949
      Sort Code : 20-02-06
      Reference No : 134759

Amount: GBP 5,800.00
      Shipping Cost: GBP 1.00
      Biovault Escrow Limited fee: GBP 24.95
      Total: GBP 5825.95

Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Hi there.I am a new member of legal beagles.I have to admit that I have also been fooled by these criminals for quite a large sum of money .The person I was most angry with was myself for getting caught out when I thought at my age I was pretty wise.I found out quite quickley because the advert dissapeared and reappeared on preloved so I contacted the real owner and he did not know what I was talking about.All interested parties were notified immediately including gumtree,ebay,paypal,barclays,my bank and action fraud.I sent copies of all online correspondance to gumtree and barclys fraud division.There appears to be a lot of shoulder shrugging going on as far as I can see as if this is not stoppable.In my opinion Gumtree has a duty of care to its members and no-one should be able to hack into a sellers account and substitute the advert and contact details.Gumtree introduced me to the criminals as far as I am concerned and should bear some responsibility for return of funds.Barclays did reply to me,both the ordinary department and the special fraud department.I got some legal speak about data protection act which would not allow them to keep me informed of ongoing investigations.Surely Barclays must know who their account holders are or do they just give accounts to anybody without I.D etc.I told Barclays that as from the date on my email that any further activity on that account would be with their full knowledge.I am not holding my breath for a positive result but I dont really see in this era of communication that these people cannot be stopped.Sorry for going on too long.

Comment

Sorry to hear you have been caught out by these. Could you forward me as much detail as possible please to julian.siddle@legalbeagles.info

Could you also post up details here to help prevent others falling victim to this.
          Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

Comment

**Scam** Listing: - SCAM ON AUTOTRADER £5,850 Jaguar XF 2.7d Luxury 4dr Auto GF58CZE

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ient=firefox-a

IF ANYONE HAS FALLEN VICTIM TO THIS SELLER (PETER.SHULZE791@GMAIL.COM) THEN PLEASE CONTACT ME AS SOON AS POSSIBLE WITH DETAILS

Ms Commercials - Hacked Dealer Account

Key facts

• Diesel
            • Saloon
            • Automatic
            • 81000 miles

BLUE, PLEASE READ!!! PRIVATE Sale!!! For more details contact PETER.SHULZE791@GMAIL.COM !!! PLEASE USE REG NUMBER AS REFERENCE!!! THANK YOU !!!, Full service history, Navigation system, Bond Grain leather upholstery, Bluetooth telephone connectivity, Cruise control + speed limiter, Rear parking sensor, 17" Libra alloy wheels, Electric front/rear windows with one touch/anti pinch, Radio/MP3 compatible 6 CD changer with auxiliary input socket, Automatic climate control, 8 way electrically adjustable front seats, DSC-Dynamic Stability Control, Traction control, Alarm/immobiliser, Steering wheel mounted audio/cruise controls, Electrically adjustable and heated door mirrors. 5 seats, £5,850 ono

Comment

Welcome back from me to all - especially Tools, other members and victims of this awful scam.

I've been concentrating on my work as a member at SW which involves pointing out fraudulent adverts on Autotrader UK and posting details so that they are readily available to anyone making a Google search on either the scammers' email address or the vehicle registration number.

It's a lot of work and I do it daily as I know others here do for sites like Ebay. There aren't many with the time and mentality to do it and there certainly aren't enough of us, though I'm not seeking to recruit anyone.

Readers may be interested in these two relevant articles today.

http://www.thedrum.com/news/2014/07/...ek-fraudsters?

3 JULY 2014

Gumtree users fleeced 250 times a week by fraudsters

Gumtree users are being warned by Citizen’s Advice that online criminals are increasingly targeting shopping, auction and small ads sites to perpetrate scams on consumers.

The online marketplace has been thrust into the spotlight by reports that police are receiving as many as 250 allegations of crime or fraud related to its small ads each and every week.
              http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...-shoppers.html

One in 10 consumer problems on eBay are scams, says Citizens Advice
              Thousands of pounds are being stolen from online shoppers through false postings on auction websites such as eBay and Gumtree
              Apart from what I do in the warning vein I am also originally a scam baiter, which is effectively a means to disrupt or elicit useful information from scammers. No illegal means are used, purely charm and cunning, and a delight in lying to scammers.

A colleague mentioned to me that there might already be members here who are scam baiting ad scammers and I'd be interested to contact them through the forum so that we can align tactics as I believe I have methods to do it that make it simple and straightforward. I do nothing illegal but lone scam baiters aren't going to have much effect on these people.

I only want to deal with people who know how to scam bait and who have a history on the forum as I don't want to end up speaking to scammers, which has happened at SW.

Comment

I've done as much as I can on eBay and more recently Gumtree to put a spanner in the scammers' works - but there's little evidence that anything has changed, with the possible exception that the criminals are having to work a lot harder than they used to. Time windows have undoubtedly been reduced - a year ago 8 hours was considered a low end of the average, today a large number of scams are deleted in under 1 hour. So there has been progress of a kind, but this s I said has simply been countered by larger volumes of fraudulent listings.

Scambaiting is curiously therapeutic for scambusters but for every bank account closed down, another two will be opened in its place. This is the business that the scammers have chosen to be in, and while it's little more than the 'throw enough mud at the wall and some of it is bound to stick" scenario, it obviously still works and still generates ill-gotten gains.

I have a new and radical idea which I am sure no-one has suggested before, although I cannot reveal any details just yet as I continue to work on it. All I can say is that trusted friends have shown their agreement very positively.

It has nothing at all to do with litigation, by the way

Comment

I have an even more radical idea, DO NOT SEND MONEY TO SOMEONE YOU HAVE NEVER MET FOR A CAR YOU HAVE NEVER PHYSICALLY BEEN TO SEE!!! That would reduce 99.9% of this fraud overnight.

Comment

Originally posted by Tools View Post
                    I have an even more radical idea, DO NOT SEND MONEY TO SOMEONE YOU HAVE NEVER MET FOR A CAR YOU HAVE NEVER PHYSICALLY BEEN TO SEE!!! That would reduce 99.9% of this fraud overnight.
                    I'm sure you're right , Tools - but less than 10 years ago I bought a car on the internet, unseen, and saved a couple of grand in the process.

It seems that buying from internet sites is becoming just too risky in general...more scammers than genuine sellers/punters

Comment

I've bought every single car, barring my first, through ebay .... ie Bid on until winning the auction - I have though always gone to see the car and collect it myself, and paid at the point of pick up - easier I guess as I've never spent more than £1k on a car - I've sold most of them through ebay again too (those that I didn't break and went to the scrapyard that is )
                      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I can't remember the details - but I think it was a site recommended by MSE. It was my daughter's first car and (I know you're thinking spoilt brat but it wasn't like that) I just wanted it to be reliable and safe - which turned out to be a good decision as, when it got totalled, she survived

The point is that we identified and paid for it online and it appeared a month or so later...I guess that would be a bad idea now.

Comment

Originally posted by MissFM View Post
                          I'm sure you're right , Tools - but less than 10 years ago I bought a car on the internet, unseen, and saved a couple of grand in the process.

It seems that buying from internet sites is becoming just too risky in general...more scammers than genuine sellers/punters
                          Then you are within the 0.1% Miss FM. Did you pay for it before receiving it and was it delivered?

Comment

Originally posted by Tools View Post
                            Then you are within the 0.1% Miss FM. Did you pay for it before receiving it and was it delivered?
                            Yes, we paid before receiving but picked it up (Lord FM collected it from somewhere up north).

I'll ask him for more info x

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                              I've bought every single car, barring my first, through ebay .... ie Bid on until winning the auction - I have though always gone to see the car and collect it myself, and paid at the point of pick up - easier I guess as I've never spent more than £1k on a car - I've sold most of them through ebay again too (those that I didn't break and went to the scrapyard that is )
                              I'd expect any honest dealer to prefer cash over PayPal. It's not like PP have done anything to earn that wedge they cream off the top.

Comment

I have two scam baits ongoing at present and I hope to be able to properly scam bait these criminals on a much larger scale in due course. Meanwhile I have a means to generate multiple pointless enquiries under any identity I wish just to make life difficult for them. As long as the recipients of my pointless enquiries are fraudsters (and they are) then I'm doing nothing wrong.

Insofar as it may not be possible to stop them, they can undoubtedly be hindered and I have noted that they have reacted to my work at SW on Autotrader UK by setting up new mailboxes and domains in an attempt to avoid their contact details becoming too easily Googled.

It amazes me that nearly 500 car dealer accounts at Autotrader UK have been phished and hacked since the beginning of March and, if companies can be so easily hacked, you'd have to wonder why the criminals don't simply go for their bank accounts using one of the Zeus Trojan variants.

For those who don't know, on Autotrader UK, the majority of fraudulent adverts are inserted on to dealer accounts after they have been phished, though they do also insert individual fraudulent adverts.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X