• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ebay & Gumtree Vehicle / Car Scam. Barclays provide Fraudsters Accounts

i have just lost 3650 to a scammer for a mercedes campervan i am gutted what is there i can do or is that it....nobody seems to want to take any interest....
    Last edited by Amethyst; 1st April 2014, 21:55:PM. Reason: removed quote

Comment

• Re: motorhome scam & barclays bank

Hi Kev, welcome to LegalBeagles albeit under such circumstances but glad you found us.

Please give more detail when and where for starters, ebay, gumtree, autotrader etc. link to advert or listing number

Who have you reported this to so far and what response have you had?

Bank account details & email address used by the scammer? Telephone numbers used etc

Could you please forward on any emails and fake invoices you may have received from them. admin@legalbeagles.info
      Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

http://www.cityoflondon.police.uk/ne...st-London.aspx

Comment

Online vehicle fraud cost victims £17.8 million in 2013

Online vehicle fraud is costing the UK £17.8 million each year, according to new figures released by the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau (NFIB) and Get Safe Online today.

In 2013, more than 6,600 UK residents reported online vehicle fraud to the police, with an average loss of £4,078 per victim. The range in losses is considerable – from smaller losses of less than £50, which mainly related to holding deposits, to one unlucky victim who lost £300,000 where multiple vehicles were involved.

Fraudsters used the following methods to steal their victims’ cash:

• Part or full payment for the vehicles and then loss of contact with the “seller” accounted for nearly half (49%) of frauds
          • More than a third (37%) of cases involved the payment of a deposit rather than the full amount
          • Bank transfers (58%), fake eBay Invoices (14%) and fake Google Payment Systems Invoices (12%) offering non-existent "buyer protection" for the transaction were the most commonly cited payment methods

• Some victims paid funds to holding accounts on the basis that funds will be held until the buyer had received the goods and was satisfied with them
          • Other victims received texts from well-known websites requesting refundable fees for car inspections
          • Further statistics show that:
            • Nearly three quarters (71%) of victims were men
            • People in their forties reported a quarter (25%) of all online vehicle fraud
            • London was the most targeted city for online vehicle fraud, followed by Bristol and then Birmingham

For information and advice on buying and selling vehicles online safely, click here

Detective Superintendent Pete O'Doherty, Director of the NFIB at the City of London Police said: “People looking for a new car are increasingly doing their searching and purchasing online, giving them access to a much greater range of vehicles and providing them with opportunities to get the best possible deal. Unfortunately not all adverts posted on the internet are legitimate, with last year thousands of buyers falling foul of fraudsters who pocket and then disappear with deposits and part and full payments for vehicles that are not actually for sale. The NFIB is supporting this campaign to raise awareness of the threat posed by online vehicle fraud and would also urge anyone who has fallen victim to this crime to report it to Action Fraud so we can quickly identify and target those most responsible for destroying people’s dreams of having a new car.”

Tony Neate, CEO of Get Safe Online, commented: “It has never been easier to buy or sell a vehicle than it is now thanks to the internet. The ability to upload and view photos and vehicle descriptions, and contact buyers and sellers - all with a click - have transformed the business, and people's experience of buying and selling. At the same time the internet has also made it easier for dishonest buyers and sellers to defraud larger numbers of people. Vehicles are valuable goods and because of this, trading them isn’t a decision that people take lightly, so it’s awful that fraudsters are exploiting popular vehicle websites. Hopefully our latest campaign will make people more aware of the risks before going online to buy or sell a vehicle.”

A/Detective Chief Inspector Gary Miles at the Metropolitan Police said: “Allegations of online fraud are on the increase. Criminals are exploiting a lack of awareness amongst the general public to “scam” them out of considerable sums of money. The MPS is working in partnership with Get Safe Online and Gumtree to prevent victims from transferring money to bank accounts when they have not personally seen either the seller or the vehicle they have agreed to purchase. Retailers are making every effort to identify and withdraw, as soon as possible, fraudulent adverts. However we would ask you to be extra vigilant when purchasing vehicles and parting with your money.”

Sam Diamond, Head of Communications at Gumtree.com said: “Classifieds websites like Gumtree provide a free and easy way to find a second-hand car. But as with any high-value items for sale, there will always be fraudsters looking to take advantage of innocent buyers. We are working with Get Safe Online to advise users of two things; always meet face to face and inspect the vehicle before handing over any money and, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.”

If you think you have been a victim of fraud you should report it to Action Fraud, the UK’s national fraud reporting centre by calling 0300 123 20 40 or by visiting www.actionfraud.police.uk
          ​​​​​

• Last updated 27 March 2014

the ball is starting to roll and gathering pace, as boycie says you can probably treble that figure !!
          Last edited by dixie2013; 7th April 2014, 11:21:AM.

Comment

• Re: motorhome scam & barclays bank

Police swoop on gang in £1m car adverts fraud

Police staged dawn raids on homes across London today against a gang that has allegedly defrauded hundreds of people out of more than £1 million through fake online car adverts.

Officers described a house in Greenwich as an “ID factory” for creating fake documents to open bank accounts and police found seven mobile phones, two laptops and memory sticks on a dining-room table.
            A top-of-the-range BMW parked outside was seized as an alleged proceed of crime and around £30,000 in cash was found in a nearby property.
            A 30-year-old man was arrested and was being questioned on suspicion of fraud and money-laundering offences. A woman, 63, was arrested by UK Border Agency staff on suspicion of being in possession of fraudulent immigration documents.
            The gang is alleged to have offered cheap cars for sale on motoring and auction websites to lure unsuspecting buyers before disappearing with their money.
            The suspected scam is believed to have attracted hundreds of “average Londoners” browsing for vehicles priced between £5,000 and £8,000.
            If a would-be buyer expresses an interest in a car, they are sent an email purporting to be from the website offering to hold payment for the vehicle in safekeeping until after a test-drive, saving the buyer the risk of having to pay in cash.
            However, the transfers were made directly into the fraudsters’ bank accounts and police said that within 24 hours of the money being transferred it was withdrawn from cash machines or transferred out of Britain.
            Police said that “mules” were paid to con bank branch staff by opening accounts using fake documents.
            Operation Subidor was carried out by City of London, Met and British Transport Police officers working as part of the new London Regional Fraud Team. Detective Chief Inspector Andy Fyfe, head of the team, said “organised crime gangs” were “increasingly targeting people who are prepared to make large purchases online”.
            He added: “I would expect internet-related investigations and arrests to be a major focus for us over the coming months, with many more early morning visits to the homes of key suspects.
            “I want people to be extremely cautious online and check what sort of payment or banking facility they enter into as you don’t know who you are dealing with until you have met them in person.”
            Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

Comment

Officers described a house in Greenwich as an “ID factory” for creating fake documents to open bank accounts
              What have I been saying ?

I feel like a madman who has finally been diagnosed as sane. Perhaps it's been realised that criminals with those skills and abilities wound't stop at simple ad site fraud and, with the organisation and set u already in place, it wouldn't be long before they perform large scale VAT, banking, tax and mortgage fraud on a scale that would have serious repercussions for the economy.

Convert fraudulently opened personal accounts in to company accounts, which has been seen, and you have swapped an offensive weapon for an artillery piece. To make it appear like a living breathing company only takes simple accounting skills and the potential for fraud is massive. How you do it isn't a secret though it would be folly for me to spell it out in detail. Companies House and HM Land Registry are both vulnerable and once someone has established a veneer of credibility, it's amazingly simple.

I don't underestimate the harm this fraud has done to individuals. Ignoring only encourages and enables the criminals to target banks, companies and the government.

One raid won't stop this fraud as many criminals will have made massive sums of money out of this, and they won't let go easily.

Comment

• Re: Barclays and vehicle scam via ebay and gumtree

Hi i have recentley been taken for a fool and been robbed out of 3850 for a mercedes campervan which did not arrive.it sound s very familiar to a lot of the stories on here.i had been looking for the right campervan to come up for the past four months,then i saw it on a classified add on ebay and thought thats the one and duly replied to the add asking the usual vehicle related questions and waited for a reply ,i got no response and just about gave up on it when i received an e-mail asking me if i was still interested in the van,which i replied i was and asked if i could come and view it.he responded that if i wanted it he was based in scotland but the van was located in hull.if i wanted i would have to make a payment through paypal which we bothe agreed on and he would ppay delivery costs..alarm bells should of been ringing but because it was a good deal and he insisted in doing it through paypal i was sucked in.then next day he said that the payment would be protected as it is covered by a plan if the van was not right i had the option to return the vehicle after having it aweek ,which sounded all above board and i could get it fully checked out.on agreeing that this was ok i received a e-mail off what i thought was paypal it even had a live chat facility attached to it explaining about a paypal holding account where the money was to be held for the time period until i had received the vehicle and i was totally happy with it.so like a txxx i deposited the money into the account and informed him, he then told me he had arranged for a transport company to deliver it 5 days later which seamed along time but as he had played the nice guy all the way through i went along with trust as i had paid the money and was happy with the new van.when the van did not arrive i contacted him and he said there had been a mix up with the paperwork and i would receive it three days later, which did not seam right.i decided to go check the original paypal invoice .i contacted paypal and asked them and was told the sickening news that they would not operate like that.after that i contacted the seller again and he reasured me everything was ok but he was very vague about the delivery company i realised i had been robbed.i did not want him to know i was onto him as he was still in contact with me and this gave me hope of getting my money back.so i went to police and was given no help and just told to report it to action fraud as they did not deal with internet fraud directaley,i reported it to them telling them i was still in touch with the thief,they said they will be back in touch if there is a crime...wtf i have the proof i am still in contact and i am told they will be in touch...
                So i go the bank where the money has been transfered which happens to b barclays and tell them,they bring the account up and it is from an account in leicester...she then shows it to a another member as obviosley something is coming up on the screen..i ask what it is and is my money still there...which she says she cannot tell me because of data protection..but says all the funds were removed within 24 hours.she then phones the branch in leicester and freezes the account ...she wont tell me anything about the fraudulent account and gives the number of barclays fraud hotline...
                So i give them the details and i am told to expect a reply within 30 days ..so here i am 3850 down and feeling gutted but the worst thing is it feels like there is nothing i can do about it apart from sit and wait ...why when i have all the proof of a crime ...
                After reding these posts it is there for all to see why is no one at barclays or the police doing anything and what can be done ....please there has to be something

Comment

Hi Kev, thanks for coming back to add more detail.

As you have read this has happened to a lot of people, in fact over 1000 people so far this year from info I have.

First of all, have you reported it to Action Fraud ? Although they do not directly investigate and only collate the data it is important you do so.

Can you please email me specific details to admin@legalbeagles.info, please include as much of the following information as you have.
                  • Barclays Sort Code and account number
                  • Your Banks name ( please do not include your sort code or account number )
                  • Ebay Listing number, link, reg number etc
                  • Email address(s), telephone numbers used by the scammer and also forward their emails in full not just a copy paste of the text
                  • Copies/emails of fake paypal invoice and links to fake paypal chat facility
                  • Crime reference number
                  • Fake Shipping company name etc

I'm afraid to say it is highly unlikely you will see your £3850 again, but be assured we are doing all we can to work with the Authorities etc on this issue.

Keep checking back for updates on this thread for updates. Things are happening slowly as can be seen here http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...bay-fraudsters

Comment

The Daily Mail doesn't mince words

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...eize-cash.html

Police make dawn raid on Romanian 'car fraud gang' and seize cash and BMW from house at centre of £1 million scam

Comment

Friend on face book posted this ad this morning. ( they know another Friend is looking for one of these)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vw-splitsc...-/251482796257

How would you check if it was legit?
                      Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

I'm sure one of the scam baitery guys will answer properly, but in my view main thing is to ask when you can go and see it. If his Aunty's been taken ill and he's had to go to Spain to look after her and the storage facility won't allow visitors, then run away. You'd want to pick it up yourself, no deliveries, and why bank transfer? Also ask to see photocopy / scan of the V5. Ring and ask questions ONLY someone with the Vehicle would know or be able to find out.

I can't find it listed historically - sometimes they show up on a google visually similar image search, or on a title text.

These bits don't sound great. But the price seems about right (ie not too cheap).

''van will not leave me until money is transferred in my bank,no cash or cheques thank''

''this van is kept in storage not at my address''

''call 07779 279062 for more info or email''

What's made you suspicious?

Safety Tips for Buying Vehicles Online

Category: Campaigns

There are many vehicles for sale online through many different listing platforms. Autotrader, eBay, Gumtree, motors.co.uk, Parkers, Pistonheads to name only a few.
                        There are also an ever increasing number of vehicles being offered for sale FRAUDULENTLY!
                        If you fall victim to one of these scams it is extremely unlikely you will ever see your hard earned money again!
                        Victims are losing £1000′s each day netting the fraudsters £millions, in many cases to fund other crimes such as drug trafficing, human trafficing or terrorism.
                        DON’T LET YOURSELF BE THE NEXT VICTIM.
                        Never be afraid to walk away from a sale, you will always have the opportunity to find another vehicle that has been listed genuinely, even if it costs a little more at least you will know it is genuine.
                        Here are some of the main things to check when looking/buying online.
                        • Check the website you are viewing is genuine.

• Ask the seller questions

• Check Vehicle Details and status reports.

• Ask for copies of Documentation.

• Check the car’s value – if it’s too cheap – WALK AWAY!

• Delivery – have they ‘just moved abroad’, using a shipping company ??

• Holding accounts – ebay DO NOT OFFER Holding Accounts.

• NEVER, EVER pay by bank transfer or wire transfer.

• GO TO SEE/TEST DRIVE THE VEHICLE read more…

• Check the website you are viewing is genuine.

There are an ever increasing number of copycat or clone sites that look and function the same as the genuine one. Many browsers now have a symbol that verifies the site is genuine
                        using a symbol besides the web address.
                        • Do not always rely on the sellers feedback.

Most popular online sales sites have a feedback facility which gives you a good indication of the seller’s history. However, many seller accounts have been “hacked” via phishing emails and is not always a guarantee the vehicle listing is genuine. Many sellers are unaware that their account is being used to sell fraudulently.
                        • Ask the seller questions

Don’t be afraid to ask the seller questions about any aspect of the vehicle you are buying and always ask if the vehicle is available to view before agreeing to buy. Ask for a test drive, if the seller is
                        reluctant to answer questions, gives vague answers, tells you they are “selling it for a friend” or refuses to let you view or test drive, then it is probably a scam!
                        • Vehicle Details and status reports.

Just because the registration number you search on a HPI, or similar, check comes back as clear do not assume this is an indication the seller is genuine. ALL fraudulent listings are copied from previous genuine sales by copying photos and details, the status may not come back as stolen or written off but the vehicle is not the fraudsters to sell in the first place!
                        • Documentation.

If the seller is genuine then they will be able to send you a scan of the documents, also ask for a specific photograph to be taken of something that is not included in the listing. For example a picture of the seller
                        stood by the car number plate as proof they have the vehicle.
                        • Check the car’s value.

Always check the car’s usual sale value, remember the saying”If it sounds too good to be true it probably is!”
                        • Delivery

If the seller tells you that they are abroad or in a location difficult to access or that the vehicle is in storage or held by a shipping company and will be delivered to you after payment has been made, walk away, it is more than likely a scam!
                        • Holding accounts

If the seller tells you that the money paid will be kept safe in a holding account, eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection Programme or similar account, it is a scam. eBay do not offer these schemes for vehicles.
                        • Never ever pay by bank transfer or wire transfer.

If you need to leave a deposit, pay by means that offer you fraud protection such as credit card, certain debit cards, WorldPay or Paypal. Before paying check the payment method will offer you protection if things go wrong.
                        • GO TO SEE/TEST DRIVE THE VEHICLE

The most important piece of advice above all others is to go see the vehicle in person, meet the seller, check all documents and satisfy yourself the seller and vehicle is genuine. If the seller will not allow you, it is 100% a scam, walk away.
                        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I see fraudulent adverts daily on the pages of dealers who have their vehicles listed with one of the UK's major vehicle ad sites and a colleague who checks one of the world's largest ad sites sees the same. Most frequently the pages have been hacked, but how it happens is largely irrelevant to a buyer who loses all their money.

Just because I or someone else can't find that it's a clear scam is largely irrelevant because I only post details of adverts that I can prove are frauds. The actual number of fraudulent adverts is much larger and I usually find a minimum of 100 daily on one website. No one should ever buy a car from any website without viewing and inspecting it first, even from a main dealer because, as has been seen, their websites/pages are frequently hacked.

In the example you have mentioned I can find nothing especially untoward but you would be reckless to buy a high cost 50 year old camper van from a stranger off the internet without having it properly inspected by a mechanic first. The seller states in his advert that he won't release the van before the funds are in his bank account, so he's no fool and any prospective buyer should not be a fool either.

I don't give personal recommendations to adverts that I believe are genuine. I pick out the fraudulent ones that are clearcut scams, and the volume of those I see puts all adverts under suspicion. If you lose your money the ad site or bank won't refund your money. It's gone for good.

There are precious few safeguards when it comes to buying from the internet and there are many fraudsters who are seeking out new ways to exploit any weaknesses they can find. As welcome as it is that the authorities have belatedly taken action against one group alleged to be involved in fraud, the general consensus appears to be that this is only the tip of the iceberg.

A lot of people would be shocked to discover that they could buy a car from a main dealer webpage and pay funds in to an identified bank account and find that they have lost all their money and no one can do anything about it, but that's what has happened to thousands of unhappy people in the UK.

Be cautious.

(Amethyst has beaten me to it with a very comprehensive and detailed set of guidelines and recommendations. I'm a 'baitery' person and I don't source genuine adverts for buyers. I seek out fraudulent adverts and the scale has led me to join with others to attempt to highlight the current risks in online vehicle purchasing.)

Comment

HI THE ACCOUNT THE MONEY WAS TRANSFERRED FROM MY HSBS ACCOUNT
                            TO BARCLAYS ACCOUNT BELONGING TO
                            S.A.WEBER
                            SORT CODE 20-98-21
                            ACCOUNT MEMBER 7356247 LEICESTER BRANCH
                            E MAIL USED evelyn@globalbt.co.uk
                            copy of one of first e-mails

Hello,
                            The mercedes campervan is still for sale in excellent condition, with no damages or any faults. All necessary documents available. My current location is Scotland due to my work commitments. If this is going to be a quick sale, I will let it go for £3,850 delivered at my costs.
                            The deal will go through eBay and PayPal.
                            Thank you

Evelyn

Comment

For your information kev526 the account is actually held at a branch in Wood Green, London. Leicester is a clearing and administrative centre which is why so many accounts appear to be held in Leicester for Barclays. It narrows it down to two or three branches but banks tend to work in small groups nowadays as regards administration and staff, so which specific branch the account is held isn't necessarily meaningful.

The majority of these accounts are found in London, but not always.

Comment

Back to earlier post. Don't know really! E mail and user name 100 % customer feed back but only one ad, ? Or has LB made me a bit more suspicious.!?
                                I told my friend to tell there friend all your suggestions.
                                Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X