• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ebay & Gumtree Vehicle Scam. Barclays provide Fraudsters Accounts

Barclays and FOS

hi just wondering if anyone has gone as far as complaining to FOS regarding Barclays? I contacted the CEO and my complaint was dealt with via his complaints team but to no avail, just wondering if its worth contacting FOS, feel a little let down as been a barclays customer for 20 yrs without any complaints.

thanks

Comment

Yes we went through FOS and they said nothing they could do, its a case for police, fca & court.

Comment

Originally posted by h2obev View Post
        Yes we went through FOS and they said nothing they could do, its a case for police, fca & court.
        Thanks don't think il bother doing the FOS forms then, I've wrote to our MP, il try anything as Barclays not interested.

Comment

Our MP (Bob Russell) has written to CEO of Barclays several times but they are still not interested, but additional pressure from you MP can only help. Interesting headlines today

http://www.theguardian.com/business/...cammers-report

Comment

• Re: Ebay & Gumtree Vehicle / Car Scam. Barclays provide Fraudsters Accounts

It's clear that Barclays Bank have some particular problems

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ash-theft.html

Married Barclays boss 'spent stolen £2million on call girls': Banker accused of five-year cash theft

The shocking part is not what he spent the money on, but how long it went on undetected.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/...ustomer-files?

Barclays blasted over 'catastrophic' theft of thousands of customer files

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-25986699

Barclays refunds grandmother's £68k following vishing scam

The last case is particularly interesting as one would wonder how it differs from any of the cases mentioned in this thread. The primary concern of Barclays Bank is to avoid having to explain how and why it's sitting on so many dummy bank accounts whose only function is to launder stolen money. Either the bank is not properly administering UK money laundering regulations or the regulations themselves are worthless.

The quickest avenue to a fortune for a non-UK citizen is to open a bank account with a UK bank and I believe that the EU wants to make it easier for non-UK citizens to open UK bank accounts. You couldn't make it up.

Barclays Bank are going to become worried if these accounts start causing them to lose money, and I regret to assure them that they will, as the bank is always the most lucrative target for a fraudster. The criminals have already started submitting false HMRC refund claims and HMRC is less forgiving than the average member of public and has much greater power. Once the criminals learn the complexities of VAT Carousel Fraud and mortgage fraud these accounts will become toxic to the bank as well as just members of the public.

I'll never forget this headline from a few months back.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...olice-say.html

Barclays hacking attack gang stole £1.3 million, police say
            ....... to fit a device that allowed the hackers to access its network remotely and transfer money into their own accounts, it is alleged
            This story is so daft it made me laugh. You cannot penetrate bank systems that way.

Comment

Its seems they did!
              Although nothing to do with cars I have also beeen a victim of Barclays they have messed up a ppi claim and sent incomplete data after an SDAR request.
              Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

Having spent my whole working life in banking I can state quite categorically that unless Barclays operate a particularly vulnerable set up, there isn't any chance whatsoever of penetrating a banks' systems in the manner described.

I'm not saying that they didn't do what they claim. I'm just saying that they didn't do it in the manner described. Unless you know the security access codes and procedures you won't get anywhere and you can't just attach add-ons to bank systems without it being picked up, though the system simply won't connect with alien devices. To start with, unless you have access to the correct terminal you won't transfer money anywhere. I'm not going to give a rundown of the procedures but the article only demonstrates that the person writing it doesn't have a clue. It doesn't matter how much of a computer genius you are, without a detailed knowledge of bank procedures and access to the appropriate security codes you won't even get the machine switched on. Beyond that the procedures for making external transfers are quite unusual and you can't guess at how they're made. Without considerable inside knowledge and help it's impossible.

As a member of staff you cannot make payments as a customer because you don't know customer passwords, and you have no means to discover them. Payments have to be made as a member of staff under your own ID which requires multiple passwords which wouldn't necessarily go through the same terminal so you simply can't play with any one bank pc and get much of any use from it. The article merely demonstrates a complete ignorance of the most basic bank systems and procedures.

I recall another article that described a cash machine being reprogrammed by a criminal attaching a device to its USB port. On this planet there aren't any cash machines with external USB ports.

The original news story smacks of how a 16 year old schoolkid would think he could get access to a bank's systems when, in actual fact, there are far easier and simpler methods that don't involve a member of staff welcoming you in to the back office.
                Last edited by Boycie; 10th February 2014, 08:58:AM.

Comment

If the system is so secure how can anyone hack into it?there must be someone or someway of gaining access

Comment

Without knowledge of the procedures and access to the security codes, which in our case also consisted of personal magnetically encoded cards, there isn't, so I leave it to you to work out what is blindingly obvious. Bank systems are fiendishly complex and layered with security to an extent you couldn't imagine.

Unless someone told you, you wouldn't know who performs what task and on which machine they do it, so accessing one randomly selected machine would serve no purpose, not that it would achieve anything anyway. It is a fallacy to believe that any individual member of staff can or would originate an external payment on a whim. It's a highly controlled procedure for obvious reasons and, before you can even originate the payments, there are procedures to be followed which would cause the payments to fail before they'd started if they hadn't been completed, such as checking for cleared funds. Different value payments have different checking protocols and, the system reports payments being originated within the branch which are kept under continuous review, and I've not even mentioned the good stuff.

Our Romanian friends are well aware of the existence of 'floor limits' and a sum in excess of £1 million would require an awful lot of payments to avoid kicking off every trigger in the system. That then requires a massive number of receiving accounts. Even if the system could be accessed, which it can't, a bank operator has a screen which a hacker wouldn't have and he'd be attempting to input data blind which has to be in a very specifically defined format or it would be rejected.

The more I consider it, the more obviously daft the proposition becomes. There are much easier ways to access the payment system but they don't require any sophisticated computer kit or knowledge and I'll say no more.

Bank systems are extremely secure, it's the human beings operating them that are the weak point and banks know this.

Comment

So we can conclude that any scam involving a bank requires a Human to iniate it are this scam accounts at so few branches that the ebay and gumtree scammers set up must be done with insider help, If the banks are so tight on security they must be able to find a common denominator in all these accounts.
                      In short someone in the bank is bent!

Comment

Just happy when mine works!
                        But as Wales says someone has to programme this stuff in and it does appear to be connected with Barclays.
                        Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

• Re: Barclays and vehicle scam via ebay and gumtree

So sorry they got you too. I lost £5000 in almost identical circumstances. Your report mirrors mine. When are Barclay's going to be made responsible for fraudulent accounting. I wonder what total in cash and scams they have allowed so far? I continue to believe justice will prevail and Barclay's will pay up!

Comment

Either the regulations aren't being properly applied or the regulations themselves are unfit for purpose. It's one or the other.

Considering the scale and volume of money currently being funnelled through fraudulently opened accounts someone ought to investigate what's going wrong. The benefits system and HMRC are both being targeted for substantial sums of money in organised frauds involving hundreds of accounts and the gangs behind this appear far better organised than any UK authority. They are phishing professional bodies in the UK with ease and what they can't get by stealth I wouldn't doubt they can buy. Most nights I am pointing out scam adverts posted on phished dealer accounts on one major ad site and all the sites are the same. Bearing in mind that they have rendered ad sites largely pointless, they have also infiltrated employment sites to an extent that they are now merely the playgrounds of scammers. To my astonishment I have even seen Job Centres unwittingly promoting what are blatant criminal scams.

Unless some regulatory body takes action these organised gangs will overwhelm all these sites until they lose all vestige of credibility. The same thing could happen to banks if they too become overwhelmed with fraudulent accounts. The scammers haven't hit on the most lucrative frauds yet, to my knowledge, but they will as they have nothing to lose and the juiciest target is always the bank.

The question I would pose is whether or not you believe you could guess what bank is involved if a new victim appeared on the forum. If you think you could guess correctly 8 times out of 10 that would be statistically significant. If I had two identical grandparents living in the same house and one kept banging their head every time they went out of the front door, as a responsible person, I'd investigate why. The FCA appear unable to appreciate this complex analogy. If they did they'd be protecting the consumer, the banks and the Uk financial system, presumably areas not under their regulatory control. [SARCASM]

Comment

For info

Mon 17 Feb

17/02/2014

Glen Campbell reveals why some people wish they had not bought their cars online.
                              First broadcast: 17 Feb 2014
                              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Joyous, also heading the bill are fortnightly bin collections and an Egyptian horse sanctuary, something I know concerns me greatly.
                                Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X