• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ebay & Gumtree Vehicle / Car Scam. Barclays provide Fraudsters Accounts

sorry
    Last edited by wales01man; 26th January 2014, 14:05:PM. Reason: x

Comment

FYI, another interesting video and commentary from Ed Koon on the 10-year old eBay Motors (UK) XSS Redirect Scam In Action!
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot-ZTyXuhKU

Comment

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/35/section/4 will the cps have the balls to take this breach of legislation by ebay/gumtree to task? as seen in the link this has been going on for far too long, only the law can put the blocks on this faceless crime

thanks dixie2013

Comment

Well then, all you have to do is get the authorities to apply the law ...

Hopefully you will have better luck than I have had in pointing out eBay's blatantly obvious and demonstrable massive criminal fraud activities ...

Comment

Unfortunately, as much as I would love to, I cannot see how the Fraud Act can be applied to ebay etc, if someone can demonstrate beyond reasonable doubt that we can make this stick I will back it all the way (and Philip, I am talking in terms of non existent vehicles not shill bidding)

OK, go through each point and I will play devils advocate on the side of ebay

4Fraud by abuse of position

(1)A person is in breach of this section if he—

(a)occupies a position in which he is expected to safeguard, or not to act against, the financial interests of another person,

(b)dishonestly abuses that position, and

(c)intends, by means of the abuse of that position—

(i)to make a gain for himself or another, or

(ii)to cause loss to another or to expose another to a risk of loss.

(2)A person may be regarded as having abused his position even though his conduct consisted of an omission rather than an act.
            Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Section 4 of the UK Fraud Act 2006 fits perfectly eBay’s behaviour (or lack thereof) with respect to many of the forms of fraud being perpetrated on their platform. What other purpose does Section 4 serve if its intent is other than to discourage the likes of eBay (and Barclays) from doing nothing to set in place barriers to such fraud that they are aware of?

It may well be that in the case of these “none existent” vehicles that Barclays should be the initial target of action because, obviously, they are not properly validating the openers of the bank accounts used in the frauds. Is the same bank account being used to validate the opening of an eBay accounts? Who knows. Regardless, it seems to me that eBay carries some responsibility for such fraud because they make little effective effort to validate sellers …

Then, for anyone to suggest eBay is unaware of these many forms of fraud that are being perpetuated on their platform would be a an arrant nonsense, and, by “omission” at least, they do nothing to bring these known frauds under control.

The fact is, the only time you will ever hear anything from eBay about fraud on their platform is when the media or the authorities have already taken an interest in a matter and then, all of a sudden, the eBay Dept of Spin springs into action and starts spewing forth media releases on how eBay has helped the authorities bring the fraudster to book—LOL.

Notwithstanding the disingenuous nonsense that constantly flows from the eBay Dept of Spin, I would suggest that eBay has never once been the initial reporter to the authorities of any fraud on their platform (unless it is a fraud directly on them) … and that is a sufficient indicator for me that eBay is, at least by omission, knowingly facilitating such fraud on their platform—calculatingly so if they are collecting a FVF on such frauds, as is the case with the endemic shill bidding fraud that it can be demonstrated they knowingly and calculatedly aid and abet, before and after the fact … http://bit.ly/11F2eas

Comment

Again, I would love to be able to throw Sec.4 at them, but list each point in turn with an example of how they are they could be proven guilty in a court of law.
                Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

Comment

The fact that these frauds are ongoing and are being facilitated by one, Barclays (and others) apparently not satisfactorily verifying the openers of the bank accounts used in the frauds and two, eBay apparently not satisfactorily verifying the openers of the eBay accounts used in the frauds; and both Barclays and eBay then having been put on notice that these frauds are being facilitated by their lack satisfactory verification (“an omission” by Barclays and eBay) of the persons perpetrating the frauds, they have enabled these frauds to so easily occur, and that had they properly verified the persons involved, as one would expect a bank, at least, to be statutorily required to do, such frauds would have been much less likely to occur …

“(2) A person may be regarded as having abused his position even though his conduct consisted of an omission rather than an act.”

Subsection (2) is the only one that matters. This sub suggests to me that a person does not have to be actively involved in the frauds but, being on notice that such frauds are taking place and they take no action to stop such fraud, they will be in breach of this section …

If the proscription of such circumstances is not the intention of Section 4(2) of the UK Fraud Act 2006, what then is its intention? Give me an example …

Comment

An example,

A genuine, verified, ebay user clicks on a link in a phishing email inadvertently handing over his login details.

The fraudster uses the hacked account to list a vehicle, the buyer contacts him, and a sale is agreed off ebay. This is pretty much how 99% of the victims are caught out.

Explain how we ( I am ebay m'lud) are liable.

Comment

Agreed; in your example eBay bears no blame; they have performed no act, nor omission, that could make them in any way responsible for the facilitation of an initial fraud, prior to the defrauded notifying them of such fraud ...

But this example is not comparable to the “no car” (nor probably the “redirect”) frauds where the frauds are being perpetrated by people who are operating their own accounts opened under false names with Barclays and eBay, and in particular Barclays, having been put on notice that these frauds are being perpetrated via such phony accounts, and they doing nothing about effectively validating new accounts, it is their "omission" that enables these frauds to continue to be so easily perpetrated, and thereby they should be caught by Section 4(2) ...

Surely, it’s analogous to the laws of negligence; if I am by any act or omission an injury is caused to another, negligence may be proved and I could be held responsible for such injury …

The demonstrable endemic shill bidding fraud on eBay is another matter. This fraud is perpetrated by merchants operating with validly opened accounts; and eBay knows it is going on, does nothing, and by their “omission” they should also be caught by Section 4(2) … Indeed, it can be demonstrated that it is not only by omission but that eBay has actively aided and abetted, after the fact, one blatant shill bidding merchant in the US … http://bit.ly/11F2eas

Comment

To put it another way, if I, having been warned that the deep old uncovered well in my back yard is potentially dangerous, and I subsequently do nothing about that danger, and subsequently someone falls into that well and is injured, by my omission, I may be found to have been negligent and I could be held responsible for such injury …

Comment

(1)A person is in breach of this section if he—
                          (a)occupies a position in which he is expected to safeguard, or not to act against, the financial interests of another person, = if phishing fake ads appear on gumtree/ebay and are reported to them and NO ACTION IS TAKEN to remove and ban any other ads by that persons e-mail address, for example, i reported the serial fraudster e-mail address sofia333@btinternet.com in august 2013, this fraudster continued flooding gumtree with phishing fraudulant ads, adverts relating to this fraudster go back to apr 2013 so nothing was done to safeguard me from being exposed to the fake ads and acted against the financial interests of another person aka ME.

(c)intends, by means of the abuse of that position—
                          (i)to make a gain for himself or another, or
                          (ii)to cause loss to another or to expose another to a risk of loss.

because gumtree were aware of the RISK TO USERS/CUSTOMERS I have been unnecciserely exposed to that risk and I HAVE suffered loss.

as there are scambaiters with data to prove that fake fraudulant ads were repoted to ebay/gumtree but re-appeared over and over and over(the fraudsters use the fake ads more that once just a different location) again exposing its users/customers = (ii)to cause loss to another or to expose another to a risk of loss. I am not well versed in law but even i can see that there must be a breach here ?

just to add gumtree now own the scammers e-mail address as above!!. this was aquired on 1st december 2013, i wonder why gumtree-custody.com would want to aquire that domain name?? . they have also removed all there old ads relating to the scammers e-mail address, i have posted some of these on this thread previously and have also printed some off but i am sure the AUTHORITIES will find 100's from this particular address and probably tens of thousands from ebay pages saved and logged by them.

please grow a pair cps

THANK YOU TO ALL CONTRIBUTERS/SCAMBAITERS OF THIS THREAD FOR THERE TIME AND EFFORT AND ALSO LEGALBEAGLES FOR GIVING VICTIMS OF FRAUD THE PLATFORM TO DEMONSTRATE SUCH FACELESS ILLEAGLE CRIME AS THIS IS

thanks dixie2013

Comment

• Re: Ebay & Gumtree Vehicle Scam. Barclays provide Fraudsters Accounts

Another one to add to the list:
                            Account Name: Bessacar
                            Bank name: Barclays Bank PLC
                            Account Number:33962539
                            Sort Code: 20-53-04
                            Bank Address: 4-6 South Mall, Edmunton N9 0TN

Scammer: Alexandra Giles. coledeblois24@gmail.com
                            Address: Broughty ferry. 76B Strathern Rd, Dundee City, DO5 1PH

Comment

Another one to add to list

Beneficiary LULIAN FELEA
                              Sort 23-05-80
                              Account 13424535
                              Amount £4,400
                              23-01-2014
                              Metro Bank London

Same story work comitments in Scotland first saw gumtree location Norfolk
                              Email Signed Evelyn
                              Mobile which is orange pay as you go
                              email evelyn@global.co.uk

Comment

20-53-04 is Barclays "Tottenham 2" branch, that's the fourth fraudulent account we know of that's based at that branch.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X