• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ebay & Gumtree Vehicle / Car Scam. Barclays provide Fraudsters Accounts

Did someone mention "Motors"? And another case study: eBay Motors (UK): Auction Fraud Galore … http://bit.ly/I2gTEU

Comment

I've devoted a lot of time to researching what's happening on one major ad site and what I've discovered is disturbing, to say the least.

A simple fact is that if an ad site that has no credibility in the eyes of buyers, it has no business.

It's hoped that they'll devote some effort to prevent what's going on, and the vagueness of my post is in the hope that they'll do that.

I don't have to make accusations, because the evidence appears on the site. It's just a matter of pointing to it and telling the injured party.

As victims have noticed, as long as this crime is relatively low value and affects ordinary individuals the government and authorities could care less. However, when it affects established companies, as it does in the examples I have discovered, it's a different matter. I don't consider myself to be especially clever and I don't have the resources of a major company but I can spot these without much effort.

If individual victims want to effect a change their only success will be achieved by banding together and contacting their MP's, but I doubt it will get their money back, and everyone appears happy to allow this scandalous situation to continue infinitely, allowing the scammers to 'cream off' a regular fortune as long as they keep their individual frauds below a certain amount. The problem being that to crank up their earnings they're flooding ad sites with frauds making them worthless for buyers to use. From what I know I'd never contemplate using any of the major ad sites to buy anything.

Comment

There's a piece in the Mail about a Gumtree case http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-victims.html

Comment

Plenty of "kick him when he's down" comments from the DM readers, too.

Comment

It's a shame as it means people aren't happy to come forwards and speak out about these frauds publicly if they just end up being slated because of it and so long as it stays quiet nothing will be done, it needs a fuss making of and people need to speak out to help protect further victims.

Anyone is in/near the South East who has been scammed on ebay/autotrader etc in this way who IS willing to go public ( TV ) - could they send a PM to Tools pls.
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Have to say this.

If people did not try to get something on the cheap when many of us would realise something is wrong the Scammers would not thrive all th blame cannot be put on the banks and others?

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                Have to say this.

If people did not try to get something on the cheap when many of us would realise something is wrong the Scammers would not thrive all th blame cannot be put on the banks and others?
                :hand:Wales, you are so wrong on this!:croc::fish: (as pointed out before ...see p. 693333330000....)

Comment

Who takes the blame for someones greed if it a 8 grand car for 4 for anyone with a bit of sense there must be something wrong

Comment

It's not greed on the punter's behalf - it's just looking for a bargain! We are talking organized gangs here and it all looks legit.

Comment

No one forces those that fall for the scam to part with the money a few simple checks like seeing what your buying would save some people all the grief .

Comment

Quite - but the scammers have all those bases covered!

Comment

“Predators lurking [on Gumtree] …”

Another classic story about eBay-facilitated fraudsters preying on gullible buyers …

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-victims.html

“Criminals are using Gumtree to target consumers, it has been revealed
                          “Site does not require users to register or provide their name and address
                          “This means fraudsters can remain anonymous while preying on victims”

“According to the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau, 997 reports of fraud and cyber-crime in October had a link to Gumtree — equivalent to some 32 a day — while eBay was cited as a link in 1,483 fraud cases, or almost 50 a day.

“But there is one crucial difference between the two sites. Customers on eBay are guaranteed to get their goods or money back when there is a fraud. There is no such protection for Gumtree users. [This statement is nonsense, of course; there is absolutely no guarantee/protection against such fraud on consumers on eBay.]

“A Mail investigation this week uncovered evidence of scams involving adverts for everything from flats to rent to cars, insurance policies and concert tickets.”

But seriously—it’s an eBay company—what else would you expect … http://bit.ly/11F2eas

Comment

I've been away from the forum as the whole issue just drives me mad with frustration and I'm trying to help in other ways at SW, by reporting fraudulent ads and highlighting them. The general effect is much like trying to wipe out ants by stomping on them but victims won't get much help from banks, ad sites or the police.

I could use an argument, not in the best of taste, to prove that it isn't the victims' fault but I don't feel the need to deploy it to justify why committing a crime is wrong. Forgive me for saying it but those who smugly believe that they aren't being scammed couldn't be more wrong - they are being scammed.

I'll look up the story but a gang of East Europeans with over 100 of these fraudulent bank accounts scammed HM Customs and Revenue in to making tax refunds of £500,000 which would have totalled £2m if it hadn't been stopped. I presume that not 1p will be recovered if they have used their usual tactics. I knew this would happen and perhaps the ordinary man in the street is entitled to be stupid, if our own HMCR is equally stupid. The potential for fraud is absolutely mind boggling. I don't know if banks perform the same 'three wise monkeys' trick with HMCR as they do with the man in the street, but I doubt that HMCR will gladly sit by as banks funnel the contents of the Treasury to Eastern Europe.

Wait until they discover VAT Carousel fraud and mortgage fraud. It would be easier and require much less effort than posting hundreds of scam adverts and the rewards are so much greater. Who pays for the stupidity of banks and HMCR ?

Comment

Wales, I agree with you on the one hand, people should not transfer money for a car they have not been to see.......under any circumstances bargain or not. They should pay cash on collection once they are satisfied the vehicle is "as described". As for grabbing a bargain, I have to disagree with you, many of the cars are possibly only 10% or so below the going rate, the difference is not as great as you think so the old addage of "if it looks too good to be true, it is" doesn't always stand.

I have spoken to the scammers, they are extremely convincing and supply fake but credible invoices, create websites, chat facilities that are verbatim to ebays own etc etc.

It is a highly lucrative industry which merits technology and methods to suit.

I am doing a TV piece with the BBC tomorrow and the message I will try to get across is the one at the beginning of this post.

If people don`t pay blindly and go view the car 1st, then the scam doesn't work, secondly, if the banks take greater care in scrutinising account openers ID, they would have a harder time getting an account for funds to be paid into (and subsequently withdrawn again), the scam doesn't work.

These are the two main avenues I am chasing. The rest I cannot disclose just yet but we are working on it behind the scenes.
                              Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

On camera for bbc looking at thread
                                Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X