• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ebay & Gumtree Vehicle / Car Scam. Barclays provide Fraudsters Accounts

Hi guys,

I've been subbing for some time on this thread - out of interest (I haven't been conned in this way myself, but if not for you guys publicising this, who knows?!)

Conmen (& women) have been around since the year dot - these scum are just the new generation.

Why can't the idiots who promote & encourage internet banking & purchases see that this kind of fraud must put an awfully big dent in public belief of their assurances of the safety & security of this kind of commerce, & therefore take some kind of accountability.

I for one would be nervous of buying a pack of ciggies over the 'net now!

Good luck with all your efforts, & thanks for the 'heads-up'.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Just reported another fraudulent item to ebay for a folding camper. Same kind of add with delivery included and based on the Scottish borders.

Ebay title: Pennine Pathfinder 600 TC Folding Camper 2005 Awning Skirts 6 to 8 Berth

Ebay item: 190965985779

Ebay seller (fraudster): alkestor44
      member since 2013, zero feedback

Ebay item location: Perthshire and Kinross

Although this doesn't get back the money I was scammed out of, it hopefully helps someone not get scammed the way I did.

Comment

@Rod Jones

Good find. There are lots of telltale signs on http://eumotodepot.co.uk/about.htm that its a scam

1. Contact number - 0703 182 7787
        Any phone number purporting to be a pukka UK number which starts +4470 or 070 is almost certainly not legitimate. Such numbers are known as redirects . Any call to that number can be redirected to anywhere in the world. Such numbers are favoured by West African and Romanian scammers

2. Googling the following phrase found within Rods link - "moved down to our base office to concentrate on private client agency work " gives you the following website - http://automgl.co.uk/contactus.htm which has different named individuals with the same dodgy 070 phone number. Unbelievably this trader has a different Companies House registration number and VAT number which is basically impossible.

3. Checking the websites registration details we find the following

Domain name:
        eumotodepot.co.uk

Registrant:
        GIULIO MOSCARIELLO

Registrant type:
        Unknown

Registrant's address:
        VIA WALTER FILLAK
        GENOVA
        Italy

Registrar:
        EPAG Domainservices GmbH [Tag = EPAG-DE]
        URL: http://www.epag.de

Relevant dates:
        Registered on: 12-Jul-2012
        Expiry date: 12-Jul-2014
        Last updated: 11-Jul-2013

Registration status:
        Registered until expiry date.
        So, thats an Italian individual shown as the registrant for a Croydon car company. Site was registered for only 2 years which always smells bad.

Each one of the points above, taken individually is cause for concern. When all three are aggregated then its a racing certainty that you are dealing with a scammer

Comment

Few days ago the car seller who actually revealed my case as scam ( when it became suspicious I wrote him from another email), replied to another my email asking if I am still interested in purchasing the car. What would be your suggestions how to react, what to ask or what else to get some information that might me useful for action fraud or police?
          Thank you in advance!

Comment

• Re: Ebay & Gumtree Vehicle Scam. Barclays provide Fraudsters Accounts

Scambaiting the seller generally has one main aim, to get the bank details, then get it closed down.

Keep a record of all emails etc and inform Action Fraud as soon as you get the details of the bank account, I would also suggest you speak to John Barry. I will let him know what you are planning. Please also post up any email addresses used and account details here so they can be searched and hopefully prevent another victim
            Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

• Re: Ebay & Gumtree Vehicle Scam. Barclays provide Fraudsters Accounts

Ok, thanks! email was already posted here, the seller uses the same email. I will keep to update information in Action Fraud where it is possible logging in.

Comment

@lidoskate

As long as the scammer does not know that you are messing with him ( he has all your details-remember??) then I will PM you with some helpful tips. I would post them here but anyone can view the forum and I am not in the habit of educating scammers.

As Tools has already said, the best you can hope for is details of Barclays accounts that our Romanian friend is using and also any websites that he has created to support the scam.

Comment

this interesting link http://www.buryfocus.co.uk/news-feat...t-online-crime is from oct 2008 !!

"Greater Manchester Police and Ebay Unite to Combat Online Crime

Date published: 06 October 2008

Print Comment Email

GMP Logo

Greater Manchester Police is working with eBay to help keep local residents safe online.

On 9 October 2008, 120 officers will be trained by eBay’s Fraud Investigations Team to improve their understanding of the site.

The training programme includes a detailed look at eBay’s fraud prevention initiatives, including fighting counterfeits and professional fraud, and police will be trained in how to analyse user profiles and trading history to support their investigations.

The comprehensive programme is offered across the UK, and nearly 2,000 officers have been trained by eBay this year alone.

Detective Chief Inspector Dean Fraser of Greater Manchester Police said: “We are committed to tackling all forms of online crime, and need to be as knowledgeable about eBay, and the internet in general, as the criminals who use it to defraud innocent people. This training session will enhance our ability to track down offenders, and we will continue to update our knowledge of new technology in the fight against crime.”

Steve Edwards, Head of Law Enforcement Relations for eBay UK, added: ”Trust is the engine of eBay, and with 15 million people in the UK visiting our site each month we have a duty to make it as safe and secure as possible.

“We do this by working closely with law enforcement agencies like the police and trading standards, and so far this year we have assisted them in nearly 7,000 investigations and with the arrest or conviction of nearly 200 criminals. This collaborative approach has contributed to a 24 per cent reduction in the number of people having a bad experience or being defrauded on eBay in 2008, sending a clear signal to criminals that they won’t get away with illegal activity on our site.”

5 YEARS LATER..........................?? maybe the Buryfocus could interview Detective Chief Inspector Dean Fraser of Greater Manchester Police and Steve Edwards Head of Law Enforcement Relations for eBay UK and point them in the direction of this forum!!

thanks dixie 2013
                  Last edited by dixie2013; 15th November 2013, 12:32:PM.

Comment

• Re: Barclays and vehicle scam via ebay and gumtree

I am planning a vendetta against Barclays Bank. I have located over 100 Fraud Bank account details that have been used by Scammers using Barclays Bank for money Laundering (Mainly using Romanian sounding names)

These fake accounts are for sale online and all have been opened with forged ID. Is anyone interested in joining forces with me to take some positive action to stop Barclays Bank aiding and abetting these Criminals

Last edited by Amethyst; 15th November 2013, 11:12:AM. Reason: color reduction scheme and email address

Comment

These fake accounts are for sale online and all have been opened with forged ID
                      Where are the accounts for sale ?

The list you have, are these newly opened (available) accounts or ones that have already been used for scamming, emptied and closed ?

Have you been scammed in the past too ?

I've removed your email address from your post for the moment. Safety of our users and visitors is paramount and to be fair at the moment we don't know you from adam.
                      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

• Re: Barclays and vehicle scam via ebay and gumtree

Hi Davey3007,

I was scammed of £6000 and nobody gives a damn! Here's the sob story, both my parents died when I was young and my 85 year old grandad gave me half the money towards buying myself a new car from a trust fund he's been saving all his life! I made a mistake in trusting these people, even worse I made a mistake trusting the authorities to help me as it is a criminal offence of theft by misrepresentation! Afer joining this sight a week ago I'm getting the general impression that there is nothing that anybody can do despite the FACT that there are at least 50-60 cases of scams involving Barclays! If you really believe that you can do something that's going to help then count me in!

claire

Comment

Hello Claire,sorry to hear about your fraud, you need to contact your MP asap and tell them that the police and the bank are fobbing you off, mention this site/thread so they can see that your not just an isolated case and THIS IS SERIOUS ORGANISED CRIME which NEEDS ADDRESSING, we ALL need to put pressure on OUR MEMBERS OF PARLIMENT to act on OUR BEHALF, as another forum user states that a clear pattern is emerging AND WITH MOUNTING PRESSURE i am confident WE will be compensated for our losses one day!. Thanks to leaglebeagles and site members for there hard work behind the scenes on this thread, you are giving each and every one of us hope that we can hopefully one day put this behind us and move on

thanks dixie2013

Comment

this was the original fake gumtree email i was sent in AUG 13TH:

Sent: 13 August 2013 11:59
                            Subject: Gumtree: AUDI A3 SE 1.9 TDI 5 DOOR SPORTBACK GREY

Gumtree Car Sales Department
                            Thank you for your enquiry regarding this vehicle.

Vehicle AUDI A3 SE 1.9 TDI 5 DOOR SPORTBACK GREY
                            Year 2008
                            Mileage 86020
                            Price £3500
                            Road Tax Feb 2014
                            MOT Expiry Apr 2014 with no advisories on the last test
                            You're in safe hands when you buy on Gumtree.
                            We confirm that the vehicle is in our custody, it has been fully inspected by our technical support team and it is in very good condition. All documents are present and in perfect order.
                            All cars sold by us:
                            -Have a Full Service History
                            -Are fully HPI Clear
                            -Have a minimum of 6 Months MOT
                            -All vehicles supplied with 3 months warranty
                            -7 days free driveaway insurance
                            We are afraid that due to the temporary lack of personnel and due to previous bad experiences we had with a lot of time wasters and tire kickers just wanting to test drive not to buy we do not organize private viewings or cash on delivery.
                            If you are genuinely interested in purchasing the car, this is how the transaction is going to take place :
                            The transaction will be fully under Gumtree surveillance, giving both , seller and buyer security and insurance that nothing will go wrong. You will first have to send the payment for your transaction by verified bank to bank wire transfer to our bank account. Gumtree will be the 3rd, objective party involved in the transaction. This way you will actually pay for the car after you will receive and test it, because Gumtree will hold the funds in an escrow account and release it to the seller only after you accept and confirm the delivery. After the car reaches your address you will have 48 hrs for inspection to see and test the car. Within this period you have to decide if you purchase it or not. If you decide to take it you will have to contact Gumtree and let us know that, so we can release the payment to the seller. If you won't like it you will have to ship it back to Gumtree and we will refund you. The shipping back will be done on seller expense, but we are sure this will not be the case.
                            If you want to take the deal to the next step all you have to do is to send exactly the following information:
                            First name:
                            Last name:
                            Address:
                            City:
                            County:
                            Post Code:
                            Phone Number:

Once your details will be received we will send you the official payment invoice for your transaction

**To send your details simply reply to this e-mail

Please decide quickly if you will buy it or not as a few potential buyers have expressed interest and Gumtree golden rule is first come first served.
                            We trust you found our service helpful, comprehensive and easy to use.
                            Please remember
                            Gumtree.com next time you or a friend are looking for a used car.

Kind regards,
                            Gumtree Car Sales Department
                            For any kind of questions please feel free to contact Gumtree by replying to this email.

This email was sent by Gumtree.com Ltd., which may make use of its affiliates to provide the Gumtree services. Gumtree.com Limited, registered in England and Wales with number 03934849. 107 Cheapside, London, United Kingdom, EC2V 6DN. © Copyright 2000-2012 Gumtree.com. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. Gumtree.com and the Gumtree logo are trademarks of Gumtree.com

Comment

Originally posted by dixie2013 View Post
                              Hello Claire,sorry to hear about your fraud, you need to contact your MP asap and tell them that the police and the bank are fobbing you off, mention this site/thread so they can see that your not just an isolated case and THIS IS SERIOUS ORGANISED CRIME which NEEDS ADDRESSING, we ALL need to put pressure on OUR MEMBERS OF PARLIMENT to act on OUR BEHALF, as another forum user states that a clear pattern is emerging AND WITH MOUNTING PRESSURE i am confident WE will be compensated for our losses one day!. Thanks to leaglebeagles and site members for there hard work behind the scenes on this thread, you are giving each and every one of us hope that we can hopefully one day put this behind us and move on

thanks dixie2013
                              Hi, I am also a loser of £7000 on an eBay scam, letter from barclays saying that at the time my money went in they were not aware that it was a fraudulent account however said bank account is now closed. I was thinking of taking it further with eBay as I had online chats and phone calls to them before purchasing and sending money but have been advised I would probably not get anywhere ( i would like to thank the site members who did work behind the scenes on my case and for the advice). I would love it if one day barclays sent me a letter attaching my cheque but I can only dream.

Comment

This is Google's cache of http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-m...y-3/1039333081. It is a snapshot of the page as it appeared on 19 Nov 2013 0844 GMT. The current page could have changed in the meantime. Learn more
                                Tip: To quickly find your search term on this page, press Ctrl+F or ⌘-F (Mac) and use the find bar.

Text-only version

Gumtree

• My Gumtree
                                  • Create account
                                  • Saved ads (0) No saved ads

If you save any ads, they'll show up here.

• Cars, Vans & Motorbikes >
                                • Cars >
                                • Land Rover
                                • used Land Rover cars

2006 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY 3
                                £5,200 Newcastle

• SaveSaved
                                • Get email alerts
                                • Report ad

sofia333@btinternet. com on 0771923933077192xxxx Reveal number
                                • Make

Land Rover
                                • Model

Discovery 3 Tdv6 Se Auto
                                • Year

• Mileage

78,000 miles
                                • Seller type

Private
                                • Body type

Estate
                                • Fuel type

Diesel
                                • Transmission

Automatic
                                • Colour

Silver
                                • Engine size

-

For sale, my Discovery 3 SE 2.7 V6 Auto 6 Speed
                                7 Seats
                                In Excellent Condition,
                                Full Black Leather Seats, Heated, Electric and Memory, in near perfect condition.
                                Rear Heated Seats, (middle row)
                                Air Suspension with adjustable settings, (The better Ride)
                                Sat Nav
                                Xenon Head Lights with adaptive features
                                Bluetooth
                                Radio CD in Dash Multichanger, Harmon Kardon System
                                Front and Rear parking Sensors
                                Cruise Control
                                Tinited Back Windows
                                Alloys with good Tyres, 3mm min on each wheel, good spare
                                Remote Locking with Alarm, 2 Keys
                                Dual Zone Climate Control, A/c working and cold
                                Landrover Twin Electric Tow Bar
                                Multi Function Steering Wheel

• Ad ref 1039333081

See other ads from sofia333@btinternet. com
                                sofia333@btinternet. com on 0771923933077192xxxx Reveal number

WTF???????? I SURELY CAN'T BE THE ONLY PERSON SCAMMED BY THIS ADDRESS ????????

Thanks dixie2013
                                Last edited by Tools; 22nd November 2013, 01:41:AM. Reason: removed broken links

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X