• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ebay & Gumtree Vehicle Scam. Barclays provide Fraudsters Accounts

what i am TRYING todo is have evidence that the vehicle advert i saw on 13th aug was previously used by the fraudsters so gumtree are/could be liable for not removing it in time, if it was removed in time i would still have my 3k in my pocket!!! .An other way to look at it is that if someone else has been the victim of the same vehicle/fake ad AFTER MINE 13TH AUG they would have a case against gumtree for not removing the fraudulant ad in time thus helping or facilitating the fraudsters in there crimes, i understand what you mean rod about the scamhunter blog which have been noted and recorded tro help prevent more victims but the gumtree.com adverts that appear when googling sofia333@btinternet.com all have HER email address, if you click on the CATCHED TAB they all relate to here, this ad appeared in september AUDI A 3 SE 1.9 TDI | Bayswater | Gumtreewww.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/audi.../1033544805 - Cached
    Tweet. Ad ref 1033544805. See other ads from sofia333@btinternet .com.
    sofia333@btinternet .com on 078438811200784388xxxx Reveal number ...

which is the same ad that had me in AUG, the fraudsters have the cheeck to use the same ad over and over and over so can't understand why I SEEM TO BE THE ONLY PERSON THAT HAS BOUGHT or supposedly bought the audi A3???? so pre 13th aug 13 if someone else bought the vehicle before i was scammed i should have a case against gumtree or if somone else after that date was the victim of the AUDI A3 then they will have a case against gumtree for aiding the fraudsters by not removing ads that had previously been reported to them. HERE IS THE SAME VEHICLE POSTED ON GUMTREE ON 28TH OCTOBER:tinysmile_aha_t: 2008 AUDI A3 SE 1.9 TDI | Didsbury | Gumtree

www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans.../2008-audi-a3-se.../1037022070 - Cached
    2008 AUDI A3 SE 1.9 TDI on Gumtree. ... See other ads from sofia333@btinternet
    . com ... 2006 '56' AUDI A3 2.0 TDI S LINE IN SILVER THIS HAS THE 2.0 TDI ...

SAME FAKE AD BUT DIFFERENT LOCATIONS, AM STARTING TO GET REALLY PI$$ED OFF @ THE FACT THAT GUMTREE/EBAY SEEM POWERLESS TO PUT A STOP TO THIS?????????

THANKS
    DIXIE 2013

Comment

@dixie2103

have you posted the details of the bank account you sent the money to? I have had a quick look thru your posts but cannot find those details. They may be helpful. I know of a number of individuals who have got their money back from barclays. On each occasion I believe that Barclays paid up because they had been notified that the account was being operated fraudulently prior to the victim making the transfer

Comment

Originally posted by john barry View Post
        @dixie2103

have you posted the details of the bank account you sent the money to? I have had a quick look thru your posts but cannot find those details. They may be helpful. I know of a number of individuals who have got their money back from barclays. On each occasion I believe that Barclays paid up because they had been notified that the account was being operated fraudulently prior to the victim making the transfer
        How I wish I was one of those that got money back from barclays, my money was taken out before they were made aware the account was a fraudulent account

Comment

So Barclay's say......
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by dixie2013 View Post
            http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-m...red/1036958012 this looks too cheap!!!! posted a few minutes ago!!,

the vehicle i supposidly bought is this 1 back in aug when i was duped
            Sales Invoice Transaction#:2089283777 confirmed!
            • Seller's verified details:
            Seller's name: Sofia Coles
            Seller's address: 24 Brookland Drive, Beeston, Nottingham, NG9 4BD , United Kingdom
            • Buyer's address:
            Buyer's name: my name and address removed
            Buyer's address:
            Product:
            Price:
            2008 AUDI A3 SE 1.9 TDI 5 DOOR SPORTBACK GREY
            £3,000.00
            Delivery&Insurance
            Included
            £0.00
            Date of verification:13.08.2013
            Items Included: Log Book V5 Doc,2 Keys, Full Service History, HPI Report (Clear), M.O.T Certificate, 3 months warranty,
            7 days driveaway insurance

Inspection Period: 48hrs
            Payment Method: Bank to Bank wire transfer

Total amount to be paid:
            £3,000.00
            Prior delivery the Buyer must send the payment to our Gumtree Buyer Protection account.
            It is recommended to send the payment as soon as possible, because your purchase protection is valid for 30 days only. Sending the payment by any other payment method will void this transaction and your right to refund.
            We will secure/hold your payment until you have received and inspected the car for 48hrs.
            After your payment is securely received and confirmed we will start the delivery of the vehicle to your provided address.
            After the 48 hrs inspection period expires ,if you will decide to purchase the vehicle we will forward your payment to the seller's bank account and the sale is concluded.
            If you will decide not to purchase the vehicle we will refund your payment in your bank account or in cash right there and then and we will collect the car from you.
            Is as simple and safe as that!
            • Please find below the banking information where you must send your payment:
            Account Holder/Transaction Manager: Gumtree UK Ltd / Geoffery Dumitrescu
            Bank Name: Barclays
            Sort Code: 20-29-41
            Account No: 93464067
            IBAN : GB42 BARC 2029 4193 4640 67
            Swift: BARCGB22

***The payment should be completed within the next 2 working days after you receive the payment information from us. It is fully refundable if the deal is not completed
            ***After you have submitted the payment ,for our records please fax us the copy of the bank receipt to our fax number: 0872 3523757
            IMPORTANT ADVICE
            When you will make the bank transfer please do not put any messages like " AUDI A3 ", put only: Invoice# 2089283777
            •Please allow us 24hrs to process your payment, please note that the delivery will start only after your payment is successfully received and verified !
            The vehicle that's purchased is provided with all the documents and papers that are needed for registration . All these documents are given to you at the reception of the vehicle. Thanks to our experience we know exactly what documents are needed
            We will contact you by e-mail or phone as soon as your shipment has started.
            Help
            For any questions please contact our Sales Department by replying to this email
            © Copyright 2000-2013 Gumtree.com. All rights reserved.
            sofia333@btinternet.com was the email address used rob me, Sofia coles was e-mailing me regarding the sale. the same ad has been used onseveral occasions, the same vehicle used twice with different addresses!!
            no joy with barclays within 4 weeks of reporting it to them, usual standard scripted letter saying money went out 24hrs after it went in, after i went into my local branch of barclays the account was frozen 4.5 days after i paid the funds in, data protection protects and gives the fraudsters time to sweep 20-30-50 who knows a 100 transactions/victims at a time, the details above are cut and pasted from the reply email i recieved from th fraudsters

thanks
            dixie2013

happy guy fawkes eveyone remember:

tv's/radio's/ipod docks on nice and load please so we ( lol ) can't hear the fireworks! :doggieyes:
            :beagle:

Comment

Hi,

did you get anywhere with this?

thanks

Comment

• Gumtree Car Scam / Fraud by Misrepresentation / Barclays provide Fraudsters Accounts

PLEASE BE PATIENT AND TAKE THE TIME TO READ MY LETTER

11th November 2013

To Whom It May Concern (or those that can help)!

GUMTREE CAR FRAUD AND DECEPTION BY MISREPRESENTATION

In April of this year I was looking to purchase a new car and had emailed several people selling cars on both Gumtree and EBay. Adrian Krusen emailed me asking if I was still interested in purchasing his car that had been listed by his wife on Gumtree. He sent me at least 7 photos of a white Audi TT car and he told me that due to driving a truck 24/7 as part of his new job in construction, he had little need for the car. Using a reputable company I paid for a check on the vehicle, which showed the car was clear of HP, damage, stolen etc. At no point did I realise that I was being targeted and soon to be scammed of £6000!

Adrian Krusen told me that he had a new job and was working in Belfast, but that the car was in the UK and that he would need to take time off work to deliver the car. It was at this point that I received what I now know to be a fake email from Gumtree. This email recommended that Gumtree users should only use reputable brokerage companies to protect against fraud when buying a car online and it stated that Gumtree endorsed www.smartbrokers.co.uk. After receiving this email Adrian Krusen contacted me asking if I had received the email from Gumtree, he said that he too had received an email from Gumtree recommending Smartbrokers. He told me that it would be a struggle to take time off from his new job, that he could not chance me not turning up, and that paying a broker would offer us both security as I would be given the opportunity to have the car inspected before giving Smartbrokers the authority to release the money. I reviewed the website which looked extremely authentic, set up to protect users from car fraud, it promised to protect the interests of both buyers and sellers in the transaction. I had no reason to suspect anything was untoward particularly as both the seller and Smartbrokers had communicated with me via mobile and email and that the transaction details could be viewed by signing in to my user account.

I paid £6000 in cash into Smartbrokers Barclays Bank Account. I am on cctv paying the cash into my local Barclays branch and have a receipt which states the time, date, branch and amount paid. The reason I did not make the transaction via bank to bank was because I did not have that type of money in my personal bank account and my 82 year old granddad had given me half the money from his savings as a part loan and reward for passing my exams.

The same day, after paying the money into the Smartbroker account, I received an email from Gumtree saying that I had communicated with somebody who was advertising a car on their site and that the advert had been removed due to it being a possible fraud. Panic stricken I contacted Gumtree asking what car they were talking about and it was not the car I had just purchased. I told myself not to be concerned as Adrain Krusen and I had spoken and agreed delivery of the car and Smartbrokers had sent me emails and text messages to acknowledge the payment and advised me that they had contacted the seller giving him the go ahead to deliver the car.

I actually realised I was being scammed when the car did not turn up on the agreed day (Monday 22nd April 2013) and the mobile number that I had used to contact Adrian Krusen had been cut off. I waited until approx 830pm then cancelled the transaction with Smartbrokers. That same night I sent Smartbrokers, via there support email and individual broker emails, several emails asking them to contact me as a matter of urgency, advising that the car had not turned up and requesting a refund. I was completely helpless, it was a truly devastating feeling!

The seller emailed me the next day (Tuesday 23rd April 2013) with a story that the car had broken down. It was pretty apparent that the seller was trying to stall me by offering me a discount of £500 if I waited 4-5 days for the car to be repaired. I asked him to contact me as a matter of urgency stating that I was unable to contact him on the mobile number and that I wanted a refund. He did not contact me.

I must have sent 20 emails and text messages to Smartbrokers on the Tuesday. It was becoming more apparent that they were too in on the fraud, if not the same person. I rang the Huntingdon Barclays Bank Branch where I had paid in the money and spoke to Amy Wells. I explained that I had been frauded out of my money and that I felt the persons concerned were trying to either stall me in an attempt to clear the money from the account or to get more money from other unsuspecting car buyers. I gave Amy Wells all the details off the receipt and she was able to locate my transaction, she told me that Barclays Bank do not want to be associated with these types of people and transactions. She advised that I contact the police and that the bank would make a note on the account.

I contacted Cambridgeshire police (Wednesday 24th April 2013) and they give me a crime number and made me an appt to attend the police station at 430pm. I contacted Trading Standards who raised concerns regarding the authenticity of Smartbrokers website but said there was nothing they could do and advised that I contact Action Fraud. I spoke to a lady at Action Fraud who told me that it was not necessary to make a statement with Action Fraud if I have an appointment at the Police station. I then receive a telephone call late Wednesday evening from the Police telling me that my appointment had been cancelled and that I needed to contact Action Fraud.

The same day (Wednesday) I received an email from Smartbrokers saying that they have received my request for a refund and that they needed my bank details to process the transaction. I had paid cash and felt that I needed to give Smartbrokers the opportunity to refund me so I cleared my bank account of any money (which wasn't a lot!) and forwarded the details to them.

I filed a report with Action Fraud early morning on Thursday 25th April 2013 advising them that I believed Adrian Krusen and Smartbrokers are trying to stall me with false car repair stories and false promises of paying the money back into my account. I suggested that they were possibly trying to move the money or bring in more money by conning other unsuspecting people with the sale of the car and that the Smartbroker website was still live and they were using Barclays Bank Accounts. I advised Action Fraud that I had spoken to the bank and asked if they could contact the bank. I again contacted Barclays Bank Fraud Squad with two crime reference numbers, one from the local police and the other from Action Fraud requesting that they freeze transactions on the account, they said they would make a note on the account.

I receive a email late Thursday teatime from Smartbrokers advising that they have refunded my £6000 and that it will take 2-3 working days to clear in my account. A lady from Cambridgeshire Police contacts me to say that they have located the whereabouts of the car and that Police in the area will make investigations. I ask about contacting the bank in an attempt to trace the money as I still believed them to be stalling me but I am told that whilst the broker is communicating with me, and that the broker has said the refund has been made, I have to give them the benefit of the doubt!

3 clearing days is up. I contact Cambridgeshire Police who tell me that this is nothing to do with them and to contact Action Fraud. I contact Action Fraud who tell me that they can not give me any information other than to add to the previous reports! Data Protection!

I attended Cambridgeshire, Parkside Police Station in a desperate attempt to speak to somebody who would be able to help me. It had been a week since I had reported the fraud to the police and nobody has contacted me to say what going on. Ch Insp Nick Church made some telephone enquiries in my presence and was extremely apologetic on behalf of the Police, suggested that they should have focused there attention on tracing the money. He informed me that Action Fraud is a new system set up to deal with fraud. That where there have been problems in the past with the police liaising with the banks, that Action Fraud allows the police and the banks to work closely and act efficiently. Really?!

It is my opinion that the Police, Action Fraud and Barclays Banks could have stopped or traced the transaction. I approached all of these agencies for help at a time when the fraudsters were obviously trying to stall me from doing so. The police have wasted time and as a consequence where there was a slight chance of catching this person or people, I feel there is now none. Nobody seems to understand the role of Action Fraud, and Action Fraud make it extremely clear that they are middlemen who just write a report that may or may not be pursued by Metropolitan Police! I have been given the total run-around. I am absolutely flabbergasted that these criminals are allowed to get away with this. I was totally unsuspecting and was obviously targeted by somebody who has got away with this before! They have been allowed to set up and use fraudulent money laundering accounts with Barclays Bank and the website is still live as I write this transcript today, 11 November 2013! Despite complaining to Action Fraud, whose response was to advise me to complain to Action Fraud??? .. I was told by them in a later email that my complaint had been forwarded to a police station in London and that they would contact me in due course if they were going to take any action. After they failed to contact me a week later I contacted them. The person in charge said it was a very complex case which involved not just myself. I was given the impression that thy did not have the time or manpower to deal with this! I have heard nothing since!

I have tried to take the bank to task with complaints but have been told in so many words that its my own fault! "If it's too good to be true, it probably is" I was advised by Barclays Bank. I have contacted Trading Standards every time the smartbrokers website becomes live but nothing seems to be done as again the site is live as I Now type! I have tried at complaint to the Ombudsman but was told there could be no complaint due to me willingly paying the money into the bank account?! However I was told that there may be a case to answer to if there is overwhelming evidence that the bank have not done the relevant checks and acted upon fraudulent complaints!

In this day and age and due to the amount of money that I have lost, I would have never thought the Police or the banks would allow a person to get away with this. I have all the paperwork to support everything written in this letter. I am not ashamed to say that £6000 is the most amount of money I have ever had in my life. I have saved so hard and have been robbed of every penny including the money given to me by my granddad. To say that we are devastated is an understatement! There has been an overwhelming overall lack of response which I am finding difficult to accept particularly as I hear of others, including pensioners being conned by possibly the same person. I am asking anybody that feels they can genuinely help to contact me in an attempt to bring these people to justice and help me get back my money. I am even willing to give part of the money as a reward. I had saved so hard and to have lost £6000 in this way is nothing more than devastating!

Thank you for taking the time to listen,

Claire
                Last edited by Amethyst; 14th November 2013, 10:32:AM. Reason: taken off your email and phone number

Comment

• Re: Gumtree Car Scam / Fraud by Misrepresentation / Barclays provide Fraudsters Accou

Hi Guys,

First and foremost I am deeply shocked and devastated to read some of the fraud that people have been subjected to and you have my deepest sympathy. I am a friend of Claire who is one of these hard working and genuine citizens who have been "robbed" of her hard earned money.

Lets cut to the chase, we have all these so called acts, rules, regulations and Authorities that should prevent all this fraud from happening. At the least someone to report it to so they can investigate it, but due to the fact that as we all now know, the banks control this country not the government even if it was the other way around the fact is even the local MPs and Sirs are on the take so what chance have we all got. If our leaders can do it and basically return back to the House of Commons as if nothing's happened then are you surprised that we have this type of behaviour happening so freely and untouched in our society.

As previously mentioned in a blog it is very unlikely that litigation is going to get very far in our quest for justice. My proposal is of a simple one, rather than sitting here upset and wanting someone to confide in let's get together collectively take a day out to London with a petition and go to Downing Street and demand to have our voices heard, I'm sure we would pick up an MP (they all need a bit of public support at this moment). This is a serious matter that is not being addressed and many more people , even Pensioners are being scammed out of there hard earned money. Enough is enough, if their not going to listen to us individually then collectively must be the way forward. I am happy to champion this and charge the batteries for the megaphone. I am more than happy to be contacted at any time by any like minded good citizen that wants to be heard and have justice prevail.

Regards

Darren Favell
                  Last edited by Amethyst; 14th November 2013, 10:32:AM. Reason: removed number

Comment

• Re: Ebay & Gumtree Vehicle / Car Scam. Barclays provide Fraudsters Accounts

The SmartBrokers site looks like another template-based scam site, they just change the name.

Compare with the text on the following:-
                    http://www.domaintools.com/seo-brows...ukcarpay.co.uk
                    http://www.domaintools.com/seo-brows...okersgroup.com
                    http://www.domaintools.com/seo-brows...bmotorspay.com
                    http://www.domaintools.com/seo-brows...uidesecure.com
                    http://www.domaintools.com/seo-brows...guidesales.com
                    http://www.domaintools.com/seo-brows...hiclesales.com

Here's a very interesting one:-
                    http://www.domaintools.com/seo-brows...tobroker.co.uk
                    As you can see, it contained subfolders relating to carbrokersgroup.com, gbmotorspay.com, royalautotrader.com, topcarbroker.co.uk, ukcarpay.co.uk and ukcarpay.com.
                    Last edited by Rod Jones; 11th November 2013, 23:05:PM. Reason: More links added

Comment

http://www.smartbrokers.co.uk/ will cease to exist in the very near future.

Comment

How many times do you think I've contacted Trading Standards to let them know the site is back up and running? It's been off and on at least 5 times since I was scammed in May. They got a pensioner for £4000 in June!

Smartbrokers 'whatever brokers you want to call it' there obviously smarter than we are, onwards and upwards and there is nothing anybody can do about it! I haven't even had so much as a curtesy call from the police to tell me there's nothing they can do so if nobody wants to stand collectively to get our so called trusted authorities to prevent this then let's just hope it's not your grandparents that get scammed in the future!

Claire

Comment

One of the SmartBrokers "staff" appears here as well, with a smaller thumbnail but identical text. http://eumotodepot.co.uk/about.htm

Comment

Hi Rod, did you get scammed?

Comment

Not by these scumbags. I came close (Flir thermal imaging camera), a friend was extremely lucky with a VW Touareg (http://ebayscamhunter.blogspot.co.uk...g-v10-tdi.html), rang me to ask if it was any good and I managed to trace the original (genuine) one and prove it was a scam.

I do however know what it's like to lose money due to devious practices (£2K taken by Uno/World of Leather when they went down the pan after offering big discounts for cash when in fact their suppliers had stopped supplying them due to non payment) so I certainly sympathise with those losing money and don't judge them (unlike the "ha ha that'll teach you" brigade who seem to take great delight in kicking people while they're down). The scammers have a very slick line in excuses that encourage you to part with your money, if you're used to looking for scams they can be easy to spot, but if you're just Joe/Jane Public on the lookout for a new car you're not going to expect eBay/Gumtree to be bandit country, they don't exactly promote that feature on the adverts.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear of your loss! I just wanted to stand on my own two feet, I thought I'd done the right thing through vehicle checks, emails, speaking to them on the phone etc. I just can't believe that Gumtree, the police and the banks have and continue to allow this to happen! The police have completely ignored me and the bank have sent me a letter basically saying tough ! I just can't get my head around the extent of it to the point where I actually believe there's are moles in all the relevant holes to be able to facilitate this!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X