• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Barclays and vehicle scam via ebay and gumtree

Not yet Junior Member
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Hi there I've just been the victim of a scammer on eBay with username quottects. I guess I'm feeling like most of you on this thread, frustrated that I seem to be the only person interested in pursuing this scumbag for defrauding me, the banks could not care much less. My case is a little different than others posted here. For a start the fraudsters bank is TSB. My bank is Santander. I did not win the eBay item (folding camper from Kelso Scottish Borders) but first i received a legit ebay second chance email, then immediately after the seller (loose term) contacted me and suggested that if I was still interested I could have the item for my final bid price with delivery included. I foolishly said I was interested. The next email he sent said that to conclude our transaction he would set up a eBay protected transaction and I'd receive this in the next hours. The next email was a very professional phishing email from eBay@uk-inv-eBay.co.uk it had all the proper look and feel to an eBay email including my home address eBay ID everything including saying that the purchase was covered by the eBay buyer protection. I was duped, I should have realised but it was very convincing. I would never normally pay via bank transfer but I foolishly thought I was covered by eBay buyer protection because it was mentioned in the email, but of course I wasn't. So after paying and waiting for delivery, the evening of the delivery day came and no camper, my three young boys all crying, me and my wife stressed and mixed emotions of upset and anger.

Now onto what I've found out. The domain name uk-inv-eBay.co.uk is registered to this person:

(Details found using demon Internet tools, which have at least brought me a little more information. There is a website at www.uk-inv-eBay.co.uk which appears to be a front, really just a placeholder and not a real site.)

Registrant:

ALISDAIR SKINNER

179 CLERMISTON ROAD
      LOTHIAN
      EDINBURGH
      EH12 6UL
      United Kingdom

The ebay scammer quottects has an email address which I was getting PM's through but
      I've been advised to break comms with them during Action Fraud's investigation, suffice to say if you see the name quotects@ then it could be him.
      The eBay contact details that I requested for quottects user ID was Paula Tait in Swindon with a fake non working phone number.

The banks have been by far the most challenging of organisations to get to talk to one another, they seem to have fraud teams for credit card but very little else, mostly I'm stuck with the whole data privacy issue and it's really only the police who can try and get details but I have no idea where the Action Fraud investigation is going. Santander have said that they can ask for money back from the account if there is any still in there, but I very much doubt this. Of course this would mean that Santander would carry on trying to get in touch with the relevant team in TSB rather than saying well you did make a payment in good faith or just stopping trying once they had made a couple of calls to the wrong people.

All in all the system appears to be in place to protect the guilty and allow this kind of scam to happen while innocent hardworking people who's guard slips momentarily get defrauded.

I'll post again if I find out more, and if I can play matchmaker with *cough* fraud teams at Santander and TSB.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainCave View Post
        I did not win the eBay item (folding camper from Kelso Scottish Borders)
        Can you be more specific - please provide the eBay Item Number, the date of the listing and the exact product name

The date is important, I have a database of about 4000 scam eBay listings and the date would help me find it

I may have some information that could help you - no promises mind you

Comment

Originally posted by geordielass View Post
          Hi Anyone who can help?
          11/09/2013 I was scammed on ebay. My biggest mistake was to do a direct transfer to an account!!!.
          Seller;hyland1-2012
          Item;161103322686
          email;sunnymorning72@gmail.com
          Peugeot Boxer Elddis Autoquest 100 cammpervan
          Registration GX02 JXP
          Please advise ...........sad geordielass

I've just done a search for Fraud Reports submitted in late August / early September and I found two that relate to a Peugeot Campervan:-

----------------------------------------------------------------------

http://busterjack.blogspot.co.uk/201...eot-boxer.html

Sat 14 Sep 2013: Peugeot Boxer Motorhome - EBAY 200963389290
          Submitted fraud reports at 2.00am Sat 14 Sep 2013

and

https://www.facebook.com/oneeyed.jac...tal_comments=1

eBay Scam Listing #8 of Wed 28 Aug 2013
          eBay Item Number 200956776943
          Submitted fraud reports at 4.25pm
          Zer0-Rater : prearobust22 (0)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Both Peugeot campervan scams but sadly not related to geordielass.

I'm sorry. Looks like I missed that one.

Comment

One-Eyed Jack here are the eBay details and yes any help or info would be appreciated.

Item number: 200973375520
            Product name: 2006 Conway Crusader folding camper Trailer tent 6 berth camper van
            Date listing closed: 15th October 2013 -13:58

Comment

Description of that Conway Crusader matches this old listing: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110928441639

Also matches this text of a 2003 model advertised in Manchester: http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ient=firefox-a

Comment

Rod, thanks for the info and yes the description is the same in parts. I would have thought that it would be rather easy for eBay to spot these duplicate adds themselves if they wanted to really protect buyers. The eBay item here though looks like it may have been legit as the seller had feedback and it was cash on collection and they offered a demo.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainCave View Post
                  One-Eyed Jack here are the eBay details and yes any help or info would be appreciated.

Item number: 200973375520
                  Product name: 2006 Conway Crusader folding camper Trailer tent 6 berth camper van
                  Date listing closed: 15th October 2013 -13:58

I have posted details of 388 scam listings on eBay so far this month (and that's a lot less than in past months) but I am sorry to report that I can find no record of a Conway Crusader #200973375520. The plain truth is that while I devote 100 hours a week to this task, it needs a whole team of people to do it and one person alone cannot possibly find all of the scams on eBay. I am very, very disappointed to be the bearer of this news.

You can see for yourself that during October I have reported several fraudulent listings of campervans, I really cannot tell you how frustrated I am to say that I missed this Conway and can only suggest that it appeared while I was asleep. I spend almost every waking hour searching for fraud on eBay, and one of the main reasons I do it is so that I can help recover a victim's money. In this case however, I can not. I am truly sorry.

On a related note, you might want to see this news article from the BBC - there is a strong chance that Nicolae Popescu
                  is the person behind most of the scams on eBay involving cars, campervans, motorbikes and trikes, diggers and excavators, and a whole lot more.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24662263

Popescu is probably the man who stole your hard-earned savings.

http://busterjack.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Hi.....

Just put a message on the screen regarding this report....what do you think the chances are if we send a copy to Action Fraud .....if they are remotely interested ....see if they will actually investigate and do something about the situation to assist all the people affected by this scam??????

Comment

Originally posted by lspeakman View Post
                      what do you think the chances are if we send a copy to Action Fraud .....if they are remotely interested
                      If you look up the term 'oxymoron' in the dictionary, you'll find examples such as Microsoft Works and Action Fraud

Comment

• Re: Ebay & Gumtree Vehicle Scam. Barclays provide Fraudsters Accounts

If you want to write an 'article' we'd be happy to put it on our homepage to try and raise awareness of the issues, not that we have much more reach than you but might reach people before they have been done already and start looking up ebay scams. Only if you wanted to - might be a good idea to put in what's been happening, how crud ebay are, and add in it how to spot a scam, and where to report any spotted to. Needs to be concise in your face instant info - what to look for , what to do, how to report suspect ads .... just an idea.
                        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I think an article is a great idea.

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                          not that we have much more reach than you
                          I'm not so sure about that. One of our members who is quite well connected and with whom Celestine and me had lunch with not so long ago was told of this scam by Celestine . He recently e-mailed us to say that he mentioned it to Micheal Gove during an unconnected meeting and that he showed an interest in following it up and said he was going to speak to someone in BIS.

If any of you guys would like me to put you in touch with the member with a view to following it up just let me know.

Comment

how to spot a scam, and where to report any spotted to
                            The feature common to all scams is the price: a lot lower than it 'should be'. That's the most basic alert for any would-be bargain-hunter.

There are many different methods used by the scammers on eBay but I'll try to simplify some of them here:-

1. Classified listing in which the price is 10% of the actual price. e.g. £575 until closer examination shows £5750

2. Any phone number displayed is unobtainable or goes straight to voicemail

3. Prominent request to contact the 'seller' via an email address, and not through the eBay internal mail system

4. 'Seller' has zero feedback; not a crime in itself but should instantly put you on your guard

5. Watch for "Feedback Fraud"; 3 items purchased from China/Hong Kong within minutes of each other for 99p each. ALWAYS CHECK FEEDBACK THOROUGHLY IF IT'S (3)

6. No offer to collect the item in person

7. Location in northern extremes of Scotland (sometimes Cornwall or Wales)

8. User name is an adjective and noun/verb and 1/2 digits, e.g. laughablecrook3 (see http://busterjack.blogspot.co.uk/201...3-audi-q7.html for example)

9. Favoured car brands : VW, Audi, BMW, Land/Range Rover, Nissan, Mitsubishi - although anything goes.

10. With hacked accounts (usually used for diggers/excavators/tractors), check feedback history thoroughly for similar transactions

There's a lot more to say but I have to get back to the coalface

http://busterjack.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
                              I think an article is a great idea.

I'm not so sure about that. One of our members who is quite well connected and with whom Celestine and me had lunch with not so long ago was told of this scam by Celestine . He recently e-mailed us to say that he mentioned it to Micheal Gove during an unconnected meeting and that he showed an interest in following it up and said he was going to speak to someone in BIS.

If any of you guys would like me to put you in touch with the member with a view to following it up just let me know.
                              lol, I thought that was an 'under your hats' thing, must pay more attention.
                              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

lol, I thought that was an 'under your hats' thing, must pay more attention.
                                No I can assure you this is officially unofficial.

And by the way Gove had heard of Legal Beagles.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X