• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ebay & Gumtree Vehicle Scam. Barclays provide Fraudsters Accounts

This was the first email i got from a different email address (car4katie@gmail.com)

Hi, Craig
    I just read your message regarding my 2005 VAUXHALL ZAFIRA 1.6 for £1350. The car looks and works just perfect..., the interior and exterior look great, no smoker, no mechanical problems, accident free, Hpi clear, full service history, 8 months Tax, 8 months MOT, 79000 miles.

I left the car in Gumtree custody and they will handle the sale for me. The V5 log book is already signed on my behalf, the car will come with 2 keys, all service records and previous MOT's. Gumtree allows you as the buyer to receive the car first and also give you an inspection period of 5 days in which you can decline the sale if you are not satisfied. I doubt that since the car is in perfect condition.
    If you want to move forward with the sale and have the payment email me your name, shipping address and also your phone number , so i can forward all the details to Gumtree Payments and they will get in touch with you with all the details regarding the transaction and payment info and also prepare things for shipping on my part.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon,

Catherine Donovan
    Master Maintenance and Property Services
    Blessings !!!

Comment

Craig, you need to delete the first one and re-upload it with your address masked. I've added the account to my list here.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Jones View Post
        Craig, you need to delete the first one and re-upload it with your address masked. I've added the account to my list here.
        Hi rod,
        that address doesnt exists bud.its wasteland that they are planning on building houses on in the next 2-3 years

Comment

Originally posted by Craigy View Post
          They came as emails from this email address - gumtree-sales@london.com.
          That email address was probably spoofed. It may help if you can get hold of the headers from the email. That should show the path it took to get to you. Just keep them for reference.

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
            That email address was probably spoofed. It may help if you can get hold of the headers from the email. That should show the path it took to get to you. Just keep them for reference.
            On my iphone it comes up as GUMTREE SUPPORT ,but when I click on the blue bubble it shows the sender as the (gumtree-sales@london.com) address.obviously the address is spoof,anyone could of made that.i could make one now that says for example HARRODS-SALES@LONDON.COM. its easy really.the next one they make will proberbly be something like, gumtree.sales@london.com
            Last edited by Craigy; 6th August 2013, 21:25:PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

It's interesting to note that when a UK bank asked various foreign missions to make alternative banking arrangements very recently, guess who stepped in to assist ?

No - not who you may have thought, but the UK government no less.

I couldn't help but smile.

Comment

I saw that news article on the BBC website, if it was open for comments I'd have suggested Barclays as they're not fussy.

Comment

The government acted predictably indicating that they got the message loud and clear.

Comment

I didn't realise this but when UK banks claim to be reducing fraud they don't include incidences of fraud where the loss isn't borne by the bank - ergo - the simplest way to reduce fraud is to make the customer bear the loss. If banks don't record the use of fraudulent bank accounts as crime and the police barely yawn when contacted, I wonder if this crime actually appears in any official statistics at all.

Since the introduction of 'chip and pin' banks have increasingly sought to make any instance of fraud to be taken for granted to be the fault of the customer in spite of there having been numerous instances where 'chip and pin' security has been fairly easily breached. It boggles my mind that banks are now promoting inherently insecure payment methods via mobile phones that actually broadcast information to all and sundry as well as being held on a machine portable and eminently easy to steal.

The people who have installed card readers over cash machines and transmitters in outlets to pass card details to them won't find a mobile phone broadcasting payment details, encrypted or not, any problem at all. Security should be the primary concern of banks and people believe that's so, but when the presumption is that the customer is responsible for losses there is less incentive for them to operate secure systems.

Comment

Chip and pin is ridiculously insecure. I'd have made it a 6 digit pin with a random two digits asked for each time, with the 4-digit enter-them-all (the present system) only available if you sign a waiver.

Any news from that BBC researcher who was interested, or has that fizzled out?

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Jones View Post
                        I saw that news article on the BBC website, if it was open for comments I'd have suggested Barclays as they're not fussy.
                        I have highlighted my case to Watchdog and Rip off Britain/ FSA - the bank used for me was Barclays but dont think you have this account registered on your facebook comment
                        sort code 20-53-33 a/c no 93115429 in name of the Logistics Corporation.

I am just about to write to Barclays advising them i have contacted all of the above and Rip off Britain who want to investigate my case further,I will be enclosed all facebook comments re the fraudulent accounts operated by Barclays and am goina to hand out all the information at the relevant branches where these accounts are held....i am going to cause them some grief, like they done me!!!!

Comment

Cheers, added to the list.

Comment

For those who doubt my comments about the laxity of banking procedures, which makes a laughing stock of UK money laundering legislation, this news story is an example.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...10m-banks.html

Pull the other one! Fraud gang's comical fake IDs: The ludicrous faces that helped conmen steal £10m from the banks
                            You simply cannot operate a secure banking system and effective money laundering control if the simplest basic formalities are treated as a joke by criminals who can so easily bypass them.

The Eastern European gangs are far more sophisticated in technical aspects and organisational set up. Once they acquire the skills to operate face to face with banks, they will not be able to resist the temptation, and such skills can be purchased. The repercussions could be devastating if these gangs face no resistance from a system that has become a push over.

Comment

In the context of bank money 10 million to them is nothing ,this may be why they don't appear to act to stop these scams.Remember just a few banks got 800 billion of public money so why worry about such small amounts

Comment

Boycie, just found out who the real culprit is behind The Logistics Corporation....i am going to issue proceedings against Barlcays Bank as the account i paid monies into ...is that not of The Logisitics Corporation and Barclays wont confirm that it is....I actually know whos account it was paid into and may issue proceedings against them as well. Any suggestions recommendations you may have regarding the proceedings against Barlays.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X