• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ebay & Gumtree Vehicle Scam. Barclays provide Fraudsters Accounts

We logged our complaint with the Financial Ombudsman on 26th February. Received a call from them on the 17th April advising that they are looking into the matter and are awaiting information from Barclay's and that it could take some time to resolve. I would suggest that everyone report it to them as the more cases there are the more chance we have of getting it resolved.

Comment

eBay should be quicker at responding to scam reports (I reported a bunch this week and ended up having to "win" them to stop anyone else being caught out) and should tighten up their registration process (e.g. additional verification for accounts created through TOR nodes, proxy servers and non-UK addresses).

Barclays are clearly missing an important step in the account registration process. They should take a look at the processes used by other banks and ensure they perform the same steps. In the case of online banking they, like eBay, need to perform additional verification for accounts created through TOR nodes, proxy servers and non-UK addresses.

Joe Public shouldn't have to be the one buggering up these scams!

Comment

I was scammed in Dec 2012 by Mr Paul Vatman, 'TopVehicleBrokers', Barclays account 53691632, sort 20-89-16 Uxbridge-London. 'Selling' car on Gumtree with email paw77uk@live.com.
        Written to Barclays, standard reply, recently contacted Financial Ombudsman. Barclays are failing on a massive scale it seems!

Comment

That email address has been added to the list at the eBay Scam Hunter blog. Pretty soon anyone who searches for it will see dozens of links, all of which will point to the blog and set alarm bells ringing.

Unfortunately the spambots don't appear to have picked up the address list yet.

Comment

I was in contact with a company yesterday about fraud and was given some advice, has anyone heard of a Charge Back I was told to write to my Bank and ask them to do a Charge Back on the scammers account as you did not receive the goods you paid for, giving them details of what happened how you reported it to eBay, Barclays and police with all ref numbers case numbers etc, they said it was worth doing just in case the account still has money in it and at least you will find out as they have to investigate it and reply to you reasons why they can or can't. Anyone done this ?

Comment

Here's another one. Sold this dumper truck which bears more than a passing resemblance to this one.

Seller: zummaivstreett
              Email: zummaivstreet@hotmail.co.uk

Bank details:-
              Paul Maddente
              20-92-63 (Barclays Wembley & Park Royal 2, yet again)

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Jones View Post
                Seller: zummaivstreett
                Email: zummaivstreet@hotmail.co.uk

Bank details:-
                Paul Maddente
                20-92-63 (Barclays Wembley & Park Royal 2, yet again)
                Why not "pay" him by a (fake) Western Union transfer to an office in Aberdeen?
                (Such as McColls, 207 Onion Street, Aberdeen (link) and, no, Onion St. wasn't a typo by me - it'll get people laughing at him!)

He might enjoy a trip to Scotland, even if he doesn't like finding that the money isn't there. :rofl:

Comment

It gets better!
                  "I just found out that if we use our business account we have to pay higher fees, so i would prefer payment to my personal account. If this is ok with you, please let me know so I can get back to you with the payment details.
                  I hope this is not a problem for you and thank you in advance for your understanding and for your help."

New account details:
                  Steven T. Dobre
                  Sort code: 20-96-55 (Barclays Scrubbs Lane)
                  Account number: 33752747

Comment

has anyone got anywhere with all this, has anyone got any success with Barclays, if we make threats to Barclays surely they must act, surely we can turn it back on to Barclays, do something to get the banking system law changed

Comment

• Re: Barclays and vehicle scam via ebay and gumtree

Originally posted by sjfoweraker View Post
                      Right, been on phone to Action Fraud 0300 123 20 40. The police advised us to phone them.
                      They have said that as many people can report their case to them they can investigate it as one case rather than lots of agencies investigating individual case.
                      Please contact me if we can as a group think of actions to take.
                      waste of time action fraud contacted them months ago never heard anything

Comment

Well I haven't been scammed so I don't have the leaning/complaining power that a lot of people on here have (unfortunately) gained, but hopefully that BBC journalist who was mentioned a few pages back is still interested.

Barclays are looking increasingly incompetent in this matter and appear to have no intention of refunding any money despite the obvious failings in their fraud protection measures.

Action Fraud appear to be a waste of space, I have a time, date and IP address to pin against a 3 mobile broadband account, but they haven't asked for the info and I can't add it to the original report because although I was provided with a reference number, it wasn't the right type of reference number.

All I can do for my part is keep buggering up scam listings, by reporting them to eBay (both in-listing and via email to their Facebook page administrator), posting copies on my blog for Google to find and (as a last resort) by "winning" the scam items and posting the scammers' bank details here.

Comment

Victim to a £500 scam on Gumtree and not able to get any help to get any of my money back. Help me and others by liking this video and commenting with your experiences!
                          http://youtu.be/pZOWnPCNiW8
                          THANK YOU

Comment

Originally posted by kitkatmoofin View Post
                            Victim to a £500 scam on Gumtree and not able to get any help to get any of my money back. Help me and others by liking this video and commenting with your experiences!
                            THANK YOU
                            Also see Gumtree's flim-flam: http://pastebin.com/XetvMKJ9

Comment

Did you all see The One Show this evening. Angela Ripon was discussing Ebay/Barclays scam. They have requested that anyone involved in this to report it to them at The One Show. I have just sent my details to them. I suggest you all do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by puddle55 View Post
                                Did you all see The One Show this evening. Angela Ripon was discussing Ebay/Barclays scam. They have requested that anyone involved in this to report it to them at The One Show. I have just sent my details to them. I suggest you all do the same.
                                Hi just looked up BBC iplayer the 15th May episode not up yet. Where do you send your details to ? Thanks.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X