• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

The Windows Cleaner calls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Windows Cleaner calls

I know I'm not the only one who has had a telephone call from what appears to be somewhere abroad, telling me that Windows (Microsoft) have asked this company to contact me re a problem with my computer, which they can fix remotely. (Sure, I'll give them access........not!!!)

Thing is, is it just an on-spec 'phone call, or do they somehow know I've definitely got a computer?
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick
    Tags: None

Re: The Windows Cleaner calls

Thing is, is it just an on-spec 'phone call, or do they somehow know I've definitely got a computer?
    Simply luck of the draw.
    The odds are significantly stacked in their favour..

Comment

My elderly aunt had one of these calls just when her computer had broken. She almost believed in the tooth fairy had sent the computer man down the phone line to fix her phone. Thankfully, she woke up just in time and told him that her grandson will fix it. When she told us the story she actually believed that he was genuine. After our discussion she knows it was a scam and a chancer.

Comment

Had one the other year that i answered, soon told him to foxtrot oscar as am fairly knowledgable on computers an the system errors they try to get you to view are perfectly normal and nothing to do with viruses etc.

Then my mum answered the phone to one last week, she told him to f off as they nothing wrong with the computer. Hell even i wasn't that blunt lol.
        Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

I had one of these calls this morning. The chap on the other end of the phone told me "Your windows computer will stop working very soon". I told him "Oh no that doesn't sound good I have four computers, 2 using XP, 1 using Win 7 and the other using Vista." He then informed me that all my computers would be at risk, but not to worry because he could help. He then told me that I needed to turn the computer on, so I went along with it informing him that it was a big old computer that takes a long time to get going. I then sat for the next 3 mins or so making the odd noise into my phone and occasionally assuring him that it was nearly ready. I then informed him I had to enter my password and spelt it out down the phone as I typed......... F.....*.......*.......K O.......F.......F, this sailed right over his head. "Oh no a box has popped up and it says critical errors you need to reboot" I told him and said that he would have to bare with me while I restart my computer. I then set about 'rebooting' my pc keeping him dangling on the other end of the phone for a further 5 mins. I then informed him that I was just entering my password and again I spelt it as I typed.......... F ..........*........*.........K O........F........F, after a pause of a few seconds I informed him that a password error had popped up and I needed to input it again F.........*.........*.......... K O.......F.......F C......*.........*..........T, to which he asked "is that your password?" Yes it is I said, after a pause of a few seconds he then said "I Have a Password for you" But unfortunately he hung up the phone before telling me what it was
          If Knowledge is Power . . . . . . .Then I Could Easily Light an L.E.D

Comment

Had the call last week pretented to do as he said for 5 minutes then told him he was taking the urine as i was an it whizz line went dead funny im having probs with laptop now but i cant wait for next call ill sort it myself seem to be getting more scam calls and emails now than i ever had ive never told so many people to f off so often

Comment

Just had a call from a neighbour that this scam has reared its head again. She'd just had a call from India saying they were ringing from Microsoft. Microsoft's customer service base for the UK is in Ireland. The person on the other end couldn't get off the line quick enough!
              Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

I have a friend that loves these calls, a sample of some of her posts on facebook on the subject.

"Sadly I was making dinner when the "technical helpline" called all the way from India to help me fix my broken Windows PC. I therefore couldn't spend my customary 15mins telling them I can't see the Windows key on my keyboard and could they explain where it is again… before asking if it's not there because I own a Mac."

" it's a total scam, they just want access to your machine. Another favourite tactic of mine is to try and get them to tell me my IP address which they claim to have or I pretend the computer is in another room so I have to say "hang on" and leave them waiting for a minute will I go to check the computer after each of their questions. Another good one is just saying random stuff mid sentence, breaking their script and claiming it's cos of the time delay on the call. Scam baiting is a fun game."

Comment

Being as rude as possible to them is quite effective. It works a treat with boiler room scams. They don't ring again. I do like the "What's my IP address?" wind-up.
                  Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

I had one of these calls just a few days ago too!!! Obvously did not rise to the bait What are these guys actually after? Any one know?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruby View Post
                      I had one of these calls just a few days ago too!!! Obvously did not rise to the bait What are these guys actually after? Any one know?
                      If they can convince someone to divulge their IP address, and unlock the remote desktop features of your PC, then they can access your computer, presumably for sensitive information such as bank details and what not.

People generally don't encrypt their documents folder, so any letter you've written to the bank, or they might be able to get at your cookies for websites which some stupidly have your password details unencrypted in them, and seeing as lots of people use the same password for everything, means they could potentially get access to any Paypal accounts, online banking and all that kind of fun stuff.

Comment

Love Legal Beagles and I know that computers do serve a very good purpose however it never ceases to amaze me what scam artists think up! the latest issue is with Linkedin!

Comment

They rang us the other day. My OH positively beamed at me when he heard the chap on the line say he was calling from Windows. He said, I'll pass you to my wife who deals with all the PC's in our home.

I had a very amusing 10 minutes playing like a cat with a mouse. But eventually I grew bored and adopted Cards Downs memorable script.

"I then informed him I had to enter my password and spelt it out down the phone as I typed......... F.....*.......*.......K O.......F.......F, this sailed right over his head. "Oh no a box has popped up and it says critical errors you need to reboot" I told him and said that he would have to bare with me while I restart my computer. I then set about 'rebooting' my pc keeping him dangling on the other end of the phone for a further 5 mins. I then informed him that I was just entering my password and again I spelt it as I typed.......... F ..........*........*.........K O........F........F, after a pause of a few seconds I informed him that a password error had popped up and I needed to input it again F.........*.........*.......... K O.......F.......F C......*.........*..........T, to which he asked "is that your password?"

​Thanks CD...they haven't called back x
                          "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Hilarious article on these scammers.

http://arstechnica.com/features/2012...ort-scammer/2/
                            "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

I have had a few of these calls, usually of Indian extraction, they start off with "your computer is causing our computer to crash" oh dear really so what must I do to resolve this well just follow my instructions and all will be well. So after getting in to "services" they want me to switch off the bit of protection that windows offers and at that point I sort of ask did you say you were with Microsoft, to which came back the answer "YES" humm say I in return do you know what an MCA is and I wait "no she says" oh and you work for microsoft, yes then you should know what an MCA is no she says well it means Microsoft Certified Architecht "click"

had two upto now and waiting for the third.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X