• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Caught out by ebay and paypal scam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caught out by ebay and paypal scam

I'm looking for advice after being ripped off by a purchaser on Ebay. It was so obvious in hindsight and I know I'm a plank but right now I want to concentrate on what, if anything, I can do about it. Long-winded details follow, I'll be as brief as I can:

Camera lens put up for acution on Ebay, winning bid was just under £2,000. Buyer sent me an ebay message telling me he'd paid and a delivery address would be forthcoming by email. I checked my Paypal account, money was there so I sent item recorded delivery and insured to the Ukraine (I know) address that arrived in my email box. Tracking number was duly sent to purchaser.

At that point I transferred the funds from Paypal to my bank account. 1 day after the transfer cleared I was notified by Paypal that the purchaser's payment was on temporary hold pending investigation and that they'd pulled the funds back from my Paypal account. I hadn't realised it but because I hadn't sent to the Paypal payer's address - there wasn't one - I hadn't adhered to Paypal's terms and conditions and wouldn't be covered by seller protection. The money is still in my bank account.

A few days later I was informed the investigation had found against me and the funds returned to the seller's (??) account.

The incident has been reported to the police and a very nice police officer said that under the Fraud Act of 2006 Paypal were obliged to ensure that any funds they gave to me weren't the result of anything fraudulent, which they hadn't done and that I should write to them and tell them to sing for their money, which I have duly done.

The incident is also logged with the TSO but they say they can't advise on Fraud. So what I'd really like to know before I start shouting at people, is whether the police officer, who has a fair bit of experience, is correct in what he says. I'd also quite like to get some idea of how vigorously PP pursue this kind of thing as well as whether they can sic debt collectors on me or trash my very good credit rating without court action or giving me a chance to defend myself.

Any advice or help gratefully received.

Re: Caught out by ebay and paypal scam

Just seen there was no answer so "bumping" you up
    "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

Re: Caught out by ebay and paypal scam

Thanks Amethyst.

Update. I sent an official complaint to the Financial Services Ombudsman, 3, 4 weeks ago. Yesterday I started getting phone calls from a company called Iqor, a debt collection agency, and another one today. I have a feeling there will be more. Despite the matter being officially in dispute.

I'm still having some difficulty finding anyone who can tell me if Paypal are acting out of turn here. I'd like to get some idea what to expect, will I have bailiffs knocking at the door, am I likely to have property seized? Is the world of pain I suspect I'm opening the door to worth the effort or will I end up having to pay them anyway, would I be best bowing out and putting it down to experience. Where does one turn to for help in matters like this.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X