• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Discovered my old employer has used my personal information for fraud

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discovered my old employer has used my personal information for fraud

I hope someone will be able to steer me in the correct direction with this as I found out this a couple of weeks ago.

I was working for my previous employer as a courier. They supplied a van and insurance for me to complete my work. I had a collision in the vehicle so my boss gave me the policy number with his name as the policy holder. Everything was going fine until he removed me from the WhatsApp group (used for recieving shifts) and he went and collected the van from the repair shop.
    I am now recieving letters from the insurance firm saying that I owe money for missed payments as the policy is now in My name and with my postal address. The telephone number associated with the policy is my old boss and they changed the address either online or by phoning.

Where would I stand in this situation?
    By doing research and it looks close to "Fraud by false representation" but I don't even know if he set the policy in my name to start with.

Any response is much appreciated.
    Tags: None

Were you working as an employee or as a self employed person?

Did the accident happen during the course of your work, were you working as a courier at the time?

Was there any damage or injury to third parties, or only to the van? Were the police called?

What you are being told sounds distinctly odd. Motor insurers won't generally just change the name of the policyholder from one individual to another, and especially not without you providing all the information anyone buying motor insurance would have to provide.

Ask them to send you a copy of the full insurance policy and find out whose name it was issued in.

When you say they "provided a van" who owned the van? Presumably the employer as they have now taken it. Did they ever give you a copy of the Certificate of Insurance?

All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

I was working when I had the collision, and I was self employed.
      The van my boss supplied was a Hire Van and the police was at the scene of the incident.

The insurance company say that it's in my name.

I never received the initial policy, so my guess is that he took the insurance policy in my name, with his details such as phone number, email and address. Once he got the policy, he changed the address to mine. When communication broke down, he just removed the payment option so now they are coming to me for the money.

It just seem like he's trying to mess me around with it because he could have just cancelled the policy instead of just removing the payment details.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X