• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Fraudulent payment into my account for goods and now restricted

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fraudulent payment into my account for goods and now restricted

Hello

I’m looking for some advice.

We recently purchased a PlayStation for my son for Christmas from the retailer GAME. He then changed his mind and wanted an XBOX. We noticed on the receipt for GAME that it stated we couldn’t get a refund and would only be given a credit note or an exchange. Due to the fact that they didn’t have the XBOX with the offer that we wanted we decided to sell it privately.

We did so on FACEBOOK market place. We had a person messaged us and state the his son was interested, so we supplied him with our telephone number. He called us and said that he was going to transfer the £480 into our account. We stated that we wouldn’t let the console go until the funds had cleared. He was happy with that and said he wouldn’t expect to. Everything seemed good.

He called back confirming that he had transferred £500. We informed him that he had transferred too much money as it was only £480 so we would give him £20 back. He said its ok don’t worry about it. I said no give me your details and we will transferred the money. He said ok and that was it.

The money at this time hadn’t transferred and he said that it could take up to 2 hours. It went right to the 2 hour mark and then it hit our account. He text saying the money had hit as he has spoken with the bank. We didn’t see the text straight away and then noticed the text about 5 minutes after him sending. He said “please don’t do this to me. I work hard for my money and its all the money I have got. It’s for my sons Christmas present”. We wouldn’t rip him off. We just didn’t see the messages straight away. That tugged on our heart strings and both my wife and I thought. That’s so sad that people do this to people at Christmas. Anyway. We called him and said the console is ready to collect when you are.

He come to our house and we told him that we had bought it for our son and that he had changed his mind. He said, kids huh and that it was for his son. We did the transaction on our door step Infront of our ring doorbell. We have the whole thing on camera. He was happy and went back to his car.

We then transferred the money from my wife’s starling account into mine as we thought every was ok.

Then yesterday we had an email from the bank stating that the payment had been disputed and reported as fraud. The bank have placed both my wife’s account and my account on hold while they look into this.

We supplied them with the video of the transaction on our door step, the text messages between my wife and the guy purchasing the console and they don’t know when our accounts will be re activated.

Please can someone tell me where I stand. They can clearly see me giving him the PS5. He pleased the reference as ps5 on his payment. He is saying he is ok with the purchase. On the video you can hear me say that he sent too much money. He had sent £500 and we would give him £20 as he paid too much. There is a text saying his partner has transferred the money.

What happens next? Should we contact the police while the bank is still looking into this? Will the bank take the money back. What happens to all my money in my account if they close the bank account.

We have done nothing apart from be a victim of fraud.

What rights do I have if any and what is the normal outcome in situations like this.
    Tags: None

Give it a few days to work itself out. I appreciate that this may not be the best time for this but . .

Come back on Tuesday(?)
    Last edited by dslippy; 12th December 2022, 12:12:PM.

Comment

What do you mean sorry ?

Who he is?

Comment

As far as I see He is the person who bought the item and has now tried to get a chargeback through their bank by reporting the transaction as fraud. Question for the OP - have you spoken to a human at Starling bank? I have never used them so don't know the setup

Comment

Hi

Thank you @SLANDGIRL for getting back to me.

I have spoken to some one on chat and they weren't vey helpful as its being dealt with by another team.

We have been in touch with the team looking into this and its all be done one email. There isn't a telephone number to speak with these guys.

They have confirmed that the person that made the transfer has reported it as fraud and them not authorising the transfer.

Im lost now as we have texts from the buyer. We have video of the buyer. But still my account is on hold and we haven't a clue when this will be fixed. They have said they are looking into it.

How can some one do this? When i send money on my app it states that do i know the person and am i sure i want to send the money as it can not be reversed.

But this guy clearly knew what he was doing. Thats why he paid £500. A nice clean number and then didn't want the £20 sending back.

I don't know if they will close my bank account. What happens to all my savings in the account. I cant pay bills etc. Its Christmas..

What more proof do they want. This guy is pulling a fast one.

We tried calling his number and he puts the phone down on us.

Should i contact the Police and report as fraud.

I don't know what else i could have done not to end up in the posistion.

Comment

Thank you. Having had a quick look you report Fraud on this number 0207 930 4450. I would ring it, report the buyer as commiting fraud and go from there. Insist on being transferred to a senior member of staff.
            https://www.starlingbank.com/mobile-...ecurity/fraud/

I dont think you could have done more. I have heard of scams where they transfer more money then you repay the difference and they then revoke the transaction but usually for caravans and boats and you do not meet the buyer. This is unusual in my opinion and may just be an opportunist. As for the Police they will not want to know which does not mean you should not report it but see what happens with Starling

just to add - failing this get on Twitter! Often gets action when all else fails. Let us know how you get on

Comment

@DSLIPPY

The bank said that they were looking at this. They asked up for information such as how did we know the payer?

We send them a video of the buyer picking the goods up on our doorstep. We also send them a screen shot of the texts.

We chased to see whats going on and they just said they are looking into this and as its been reported as not being authorised all banks in the UK have to suspend the account.

Thats all our money. We have no way of finding out whats happening. We tried contacting the buyer and he keeps putting the phone down and then turns off his phone.

Should i being reporting this to the police or should we just be letting the bank sort it out ?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X