• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Identity theft and fraud - what to do next

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identity theft and fraud - what to do next

My daughter and her boyfriend both work full time so initially I have been helping with regard to the following.

Her boyfriend discovered in August that his bank account had been emptied and was incurring bank charges increasing daily for unauthorised overdrafts. He has since frozen the account. On bank advice he obtained credit reports, (which I am grateful to Amethyst for helping me to understand). Checking reports for three years, and obtaining information from those named in bank direct debits and standing orders, it became clear that the person responsible for clearing out his bank account had habitually been applying for loans in the boyfriends name, had made little or no attempt to pay these off, or had offered to pay in installments (from the boyfriends own bank account). I have written over 40 letters to the firms named in searches in an attempt to find out what firms have lent money and how much. A few firms have responded that they were suspicious of recent loan applications, had lent no money whilst they undertook further investigation and had now involved their own fraud departments.

It looks like approximately £35,000 is involved - £20,904 to various loan companies, £5,600 to the bank (comprising £5000 in wages and £600 in bank charges) and £8334 in CCJ's (two found against the boyfriend and one still pending).

This is clearly an almighty mess and - given that I have only been able to examine records over a three year period - there may be more debt that has not yet come to light.

The person who has committed the fraud and incurred the debts is the boyfriend's brother. Initially the boyfriend was in a denial state but is now realising just what his brother has done.

Actions taken and to be taken -
    A report has been made to ActionFraud.
    A report has been made to the bank's fraud department.
    All those firms owed money have been advised of the fraud.

Regarding the two CCJ's that were found against the boyfriend - is there any point writing to the Court about the fraud asking for the letter to be put in the Court file?
    Regarding the pending CCJ - is there a form to complete to tell the Court that the boyfriend disputes that the debt is his?

Is there any purpose in these circumstances to sending CCA letters to the firms that say he owes money, given that the boyfriend disputes that he ever did anything to incur the debt?

ActionFraud have not yet acknowledged the report (other than giving a standard reference number) and this situation is a bit overwhelming, although substantial progress has been made thus far.

I wouold be extremely grateful if anyone can make any suggestions as to what to do next.

Thank you.

Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X