• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

What can you do if you've been scammed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can you do if you've been scammed?

Hello,

If you've given money to a fraudster, the first thing you need to do is to contact your bank to ask them to try to recall any payments that were made to the fraudster.

If they cannot recover your money through a simple recall, they should be able to 'trace' the payments, and locate your money.

All they really have to do is to call up the bank to which the funds were sent. If the funds were already transferred out, they should ask that bank for details of where the funds were sent. Keep going until they get to the end of the money trail. Usually, two to five steps. Quite simple really. Usually only takes one person a few hours at most.

Banks have to make the effort to ensure that serious legal issues are addressed, and not be seen to facilitate criminal activity. Banks, should, if necessary, contact the police about any fraud case. They should not be asking their clients to do so.

Also, banks' security systems are supposed to be sufficient to prevent unauthorised transfers.

If money has simply been stolen from your account without authorisation using your card details, you should be entitled to a refund from your bank, as they are supposed to prevent unauthorised transactions.

If they refuse to refund you, you could take up the case with the FCA and Ombudsman.

If this fails, read what I have said about Declaring a Tax Strike.

This may be drastic, but it's worth it, and I guarantee you that it's most likely the only way you'll ever recover your funds or get any justice with those who've stolen your money.

Believe me, you've got nothing to lose from a tax strike. The alternative is to be beset by despair, shame and helplessness, not to mention the inability to find the people who defrauded you. The rest of your life will be miserable, I guarantee you.

Just to clarify, I accept that a tax strike may not be the best response for every case. However, it will probably be the best course of action for those fraud victims who have literally lost everything and so will have nothing left to lose.

Regards,

Wayland
    Last edited by Wayland; 29th September 2019, 10:50:AM.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X