• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Elderly man defrauded by child's partner - what are their options

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elderly man defrauded by child's partner - what are their options

Dear all
    An elderly guy (a relative of a friend) has been fleeced out of a LOT of money, by his daughter's ex-partner (they're no longer together as a result) He basically told a string of lies over a two year period, and got the elderly (and lonely) father to hand over more than £100K in total - said he needed the money for a big business deal and couldn't access his own because HMRC had "erroneously" frozen his assets and while that was being sorted blah blah, first one lot of money, then more. My question is what are the victim's options? He has some evidence, a few emails, but mostly the conversations were verbal, and the money was paid into different business accounts, which in turns out were not in the fraudster's name (suggesting he has helpers and works hard to stay under the radar). It also turns out he has done similar before. I've only scratched surface here but the offender has been declared bankrupt in the past and has had companies which have been struck off, yet he drives a flash car and lives the high life. I had a quick look on Companies House and see he also uses different variations of his christian name. The victim doesn't expect to get his money back even though the loss has heavily impacted his life, but he does feel the fraudster needs to be stopped as he'll continue to do this to others. Is completing a report via Action Fraud the way to go? Or is there another way of going directly to the police? Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

This sounds like financial abuse of the elderly and can be reported as such to the local police, not necessarily just Action Fraud.

If this gentleman is still at risk the local Social security safeguarding team might be able to help or give some pointers

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
      This sounds like financial abuse of the elderly and can be reported as such to the local police, not necessarily just Action Fraud.

If this gentleman is still at risk the local Social security safeguarding team might be able to help or give some pointers
      Thank you, Des8. I will look into financial abuse of the elderly. I don't think he's at risk any more as his family now know about what's happened, and are keeping an eye on him.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X