• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mobile Phone Number Stolen and then used to access my Bank Account!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile Phone Number Stolen and then used to access my Bank Account!

Hello,

I hope this is posted in the correct place and that someone can help me!

In a nutshell, my phone number was stolen by a fraudster. Once they had control of my phone number, they reset my online banking details and transferred money from my account.

In detail, here is the full story (and timeline);

Tuesday 16th - I receive a text from my phone provider with my PAC code and notifying me that my number would be moved to a new provider within 48 hours. I called my phone provider and notified them that this was a fraudulent attempt to steal my number. They reassured me that my phone would remain and they would block the attempt and investigate the matter.

Wednesday 17th - about 24 hours after I received the text message, my phone went dead. I called my phone provider and they notified me that unfortunately they hadn't blocked the attempt and my number had been moved to another network. Agent again said they would notify the new provider to block the number and they would request it back. I was issued with a temporary number in the interim and the request to get my number back would take 48-72 hours. They assured me that there was nothing to worry about and they don't know why fraudsters try to steal phone numbers.

Friday 19th - I tried to login to my online banking but it had been blocked and there was a note to call their fraud team. I called the fraud team and they notified me that almost £3k had been transferred from my account and that I would need to go to my local branch with ID and proof of address. At this point I called my mobile provider for an update. They advised me that my number was still on another network and they hadn't completed their internal investigation.

Bank told me that they had the funds on block and they would return this to me within 2-3 days - no issue with my bank. They have been excellent.

Obviously I wasn't happy with the detail from my phone provider. They refused to give me any information on what personal information the fraudster held of mine, or what details they revealed. I escalated the matter with the Agent on the phone (after 30 minutes on hold, and 45 minutes of going around in circles with detail) to a complaint handler whose attitude towards the complaint was pretty poor. They refused to give any detail or admit any fault. They claim they followed protocol.

Tuesday 23rd - mobile phone number was returned to me.

To this day, I still have not received any updates on their investigation, had all requests for information denied and pretty much told that once the phone number was returned that would be the end of it.

Obviously I really want to pursue this to find out exactly what happened, and why it was so easy to port my number to another network. I really want to find out what details the fraudster had about me so I can prevent fraud going forward.

What I do know from mobile phone provider is that their security protocol checks for the following information as security;

Name
    Address

The callers then need to verify the password on the account. If you do not know the password the following questions are asked;

Phone Make and Model
    Place Where Contract was Bought

If you do not know this information they will ask for the bank account number linked to the account.

Phone provider has almost (with extreme pressure from me) hinted that the fraudsters didn't know the Phone Make and Model or Place Where Contract was Bought.

I suspect (or they want me to believe) that someone had my bank details all along and that they are not to blame. I had at that point, told them that my bank account had been compromised via my phone.

I have already reported this to Action Fraud UK, who advised me that technically Identifty Theft isn't a crime until I become liable financially (at the moment I am not). I've also contacted the ICO, aswell as OFCOM to ask about various rights and responsibilities in this instance.

ICO have said that I should request as much data (as well as compensation) as I like, and if phone provider does not comply then escalate the complaint with OFCOM.

I want to pen an email to phone provider tomorrow and would like some legal advice on what to input! So far, I have requested the following;
    • Electronic Copy of the call to phone provider on 16/07 in which Security Protocol was breached and PAC Code requested
    • A Copy of my own Personal Data which phone provider may have shared with Third Parties including but not limited to Credit Agencies, Phone Providers, Marketing Companies and any other Third Party
    • Phone Unlock Code at sole cost to phone provider; I will obviously switch network myself and have cancelled my direct debits
    To resolve this complaint with phone provider, I require the following;
    • Phone Proivder to place a Cifas Marker on my Credit Report; which can only be removed by me at my time of choosing - ICO advised me to do this; is it relevant or worthwhile?
    • Detailed report from phone provider which confirms there has been a review of security protocol with recommended actions to prevent future similar instances of identity theft
    • Release from my remaining contract with phone provider; with all associated fees the sole responsibility of phone provider
    • Acknowledgment of fault and apology by phone provider for inconvenience caused
    • Compensation of £XXX - I'm not so bothered about the compensation part here. All I want to be be free of phone provider and them to admit fault/apologise. But ICO were very adamant that I would be entitled to compensation of some sort. Is there precedent on how much I could potentially ask for? I have noted some phone providers have paid out large amounts in the past for fraud on customer accounts but unsure if the circumstances are similar to my own.
    I also don't know how to check if there are other things the fraudster would have applied for in my name such as credit etc - is there any way I can check this?

Hope to hear from you soon!
    Tags: None

Morning - hope you are all well!

I understand if there is noone on here that can help; but if anyone is able to direct me further to alternate sources for advice that would be great.

I'd like to write to phone provider by end of day today.

Comment

Great to hear your bank have been so helpful and managed to stop the funds being taken. Likely because you acted so quickly.

Unfortunately your phone provider hasn't been quite as helpful. You are doing the right thing asking them for copies of your information remember to state you are requesting it under the data protection act 2018/GDPR. You already have a formal complaint in with them and with the ICO. Really you need the rest of the information, as you say particularly the call recording, before you can finalise/escalate your complaint. If they continue to refuse to provide it then you can take that complaint through the ICO so mention in your letter that you have already discussed it with the ICO.

A CIFAS marker will help if someone does have all of your personal details, it would put a barrier in their way from taking out loans or credit card etc in your name in future. It could also cause problems for you taking out credit in your name as extra checks will have to be done. So really you have to weigh up the hassle versus the risk.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks for your reply - very helpful and reassuring.

The point in noted regarding CIFAS. I may not request one.

Is there any precedent for compensation? I am not so bothered about this; but don't want to miss out if there is a compensation requirement.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X