• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

scamming vulnerable people.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scamming vulnerable people.

MODS,if this is the wrong section,please move it to the appropiate section.
    I have a relative who is a resident in a secure hospital.recently,he has been "scammed"(if I can use that term),into buying loads of jewellery from Gemporia,as an investment for the future.
    The problem is, 1 of the patients on his wing has been using his own bank card to purchase the goods, then selling them onto my nephew(adding a few hundred pound on for himself).My nephew has then in turn,using his bank card, transferred the amounts to the patients bank account.The jewellery was all sent to my address.I was not impressed with it and had it checked by an independant gold trader who valued the 6 pieces of jewellery at "Around £300".Which is around 20% of what was paid.
    I have agreed to return the jewellery to Gemporia,with a covering letter explaining what has been happening.The money will then be refunded to the patients bank account,and in turn,returned to my nephew.
    Where does my nephew legally stand regarding getting his money back in this situation?.
    Tags: None

Isn't this a safeguarding issue for the hospital? I would report the whole matter to them, as even if the other patient is compensated there's no guarantee he will reimburse your nephew.

Comment

The other patient has infiltrated security.Probably due to it only being a low secure hospital.I have text messages from the individual saying he purchased the items using his bank card,then sold the goods on to my relative ,where my relative used his bank card to transfer the money to the buyers bank account.

Comment

I would ask to speak to the hospital's Safeguarding team.

They have a legal requirement to protect your nephew from any form of abuse, including financial which this will be classified as!

The fact that the other paitent has been able to purchase this from a semi secure hospital is in itself concerning, the fact no one picked up on a large amount of money being transferred to them is even more worrying!

Ask about their finance policy, do paitents have their finances checked every day (we do twice a day)? If not, why not?

PLEASE NOTE: I work irregular hours including nights and sleep in shifts. If I have not responded in 48 hours, please ask an admin to Messenger me!

"If you ever feel alone, remember, I am just the other side of the rainbow, or just south of the North Star. Whichever is closer." - A.J Murphy. 17/3/1974 - 16/03/1997 (RIP babe <3)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X