• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Anatomy of a malware scam: The evil genius of XP Antivirus 2008

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anatomy of a malware scam: The evil genius of XP Antivirus 2008

A long read and a little techie, but well worth it especially with the amount of malware wild on the net. This is why I always recomend surfing with Paranoid mode fully engaged and a hit Tin Foil hat.

Anatomy of a malware scam | The Register

Funnily enough I received an e-mail advertising this product this morning.
    Here's the body:
    Originally posted by Official Update 2008

Free Update Windows XP,Vista
    (This part is a link to one of the sites in an IP format)

About this mailing:
    You are receiving this e-mail because you subscribed to MSN Featured Offers. Microsoft respects your privacy. If you do not wish to receive this MSN Featured Offers e-mail, please click the "Unsubscribe" link below. This will not unsubscribe you from e-mail communications from third-party advertisers that may appear in MSN Feature Offers. This shall not constitute an offer by MSN. MSN shall not be responsible or liable for the advertisers' content nor any of the goods or service advertised. Prices and item availability subject to change without notice.

©2008 Microsoft | Unsubscribe | More Newsletters | Privacy (The links here go to MSN.com to make it look legit)

Microsoft Corporation, One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA 98052
    Trust NO ONE !!!

Re: Anatomy of a malware scam: The evil genius of XP Antivirus 2008

The computer that I've just fixed had this. I had to really delve around to get rid of all traces of it.

Comment

I'm a computer dummy so how would I know if I had it infecting mine & what exactly does it do

Comment

Originally posted by righty View Post
        I'm a computer dummy so how would I know if I had it infecting mine & what exactly does it do
        Have a read of this thread
        Securing Your Web Browser - Legal Beagles

as well as some of the others in this forum

PKea

Comment

Thanks had a brief look & am terrified:cry: but I still don't know what this malware does??

Comment

Originally posted by righty View Post
            Thanks had a brief look & am terrified:cry: but I still don't know what this malware does??
            Malware - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

there is\some info, sorry not got time to explain in the post

Comment

In this case they try and scare you into parting with money for a product that doesn't actually do anything.
              Other malwares do various things including private data mining, making your PC part of a zombie bot net, a spam e-mail relay and pretty much anything nefarious you can think of.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X