• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Is there anything more we can do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there anything more we can do?

About three years ago my husband was knocked over by a car. He sustained injuries to his shoulder and back and has been in treatment for these on and off ever since. The man who knocked him over was at work and driving his works van.

He went to a a firm of Solicitors for compensation. They first of all contacted the wrong firm and pursued this for 6 months before we told them they were after the wrong lot. Then they were unable to get the details of who the car was insured with - the company allegedly never responded and they were unable to get any details of the firm having any public liability insurance. It ended up with my husband going to court and being awarded £7.5k of compensation only to be told the company then almost immediately went into liquidation so he hasn't received a bean of it - even though Im sure it should be the insurers who pay this, not the company?

I thought that companies had to have public liability insurance and it was a criminal offence not to and had to have car insurance for their drivers and the claim would be against the insurance companies, not the company itself. Also if they had no insurance a claim could have been made to the people who deal with uninsured drivers compensation board?

We were going to get the paper work under a Subject Access Request from the lawyers. We were then going to contact the liquidators and ask them to trace the insurance details as well as try and find out if the lawyers have acted wrongly by not pursuing this information or getting the court to get them to produce it.

Any advice gratefully received x
    Tags: None

Re: Is there anything more we can do?

hi and welcome.
    Firstly companies do not have to carry public liability insurance.
    It is the driver of the vehicle who has to be insured, and it is his responsibility to ensure he is covered.
    Naturally companies arrange the insurance to make sure their drivers are covered.
    Your husband won a court case for injuries caused by a motoring incident. The company the driver worked for, went into liquidation without saying who the insurers were,
    The liquidators should be approached in the first place to ascertain who he insurers were.
    Do you know who the liquidators were ? you should be able to find out from Companies House.
    When you know who the insurers are you should be able to recover his award (if necessary as there has been a court case) you can sue them!

If you get no help there you could try the MIB (motor insurance bureau)http://www.mib.org.uk/Home/en/default.htm

If you get stuck. come back

Comment

I have the same problem but it's my son who was knocked off. The problem is I live in a different country so they may have different rules about this. They say I should contact the company and not the insurance provider.
      Last edited by Amethyst; 18th August 2015, 22:06:PM.

Comment

In South Australia Third party insurance is automatically arranged when the vehicle is registered.
        If you are having a problem I would suggest contacting Allianz Australia Ltd, who are the claims managers for Motor Accident Commission , who are the states compulsory third party insurers.
        Last edited by enaid; 19th August 2015, 00:45:AM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X