• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Would like advice on a RTA personal injury claim please Urgently

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would like advice on a RTA personal injury claim please Urgently

Four and half years ago, I was a rear seat passenger in a friends car, when we were hit at quite some speed by another car at a traffic island. At the time I was happy, confident, fit and had a job I enjoyed. About 4 weeks later, I woke up to find that my left leg had ballooned. I was in pain with my neck, back and shoulder too. I took 2 weeks off work. My leg didn't improve after a few weeks, so I went to the Gp, who referred me to the hospital. It was thought to be a blood clot, but following 2 days of test/treatment it was diagnosed as a soft tissue injury. I was then signed off work and was in terrible pain with neck, back, shoulder and leg. The leg took about 3 months to get back to normal size and eventually reduced to a size smaller in circumference than the right leg.
    I couldn't return to work and began to have PTSD symptoms and sleep disturbance. My health has deteriorated ever since. The only health problem that I have ever had prior to the accident, is I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes about 3 months beforehand. I have had long periods where the Solicitor failed to respond to emails and very little support or advice at all. I have spent hours on emails, filling in paperwork, attending appointments as requested by the Solicitor. My life is a shadow of what it was in 2018, I will not be able to work again. I can't sleep, walk far or stand up for long. I take pain meds, but have been warned by the medical staff that I have to protect my kidneys. I take meds for the Diabetes and that side of things is ok. But I long to take the exercise I used to.
    All along I have been given to believe that I would be compensated for my injuries. Totally out of the blue, I was sent a letter by the Solicitor saying that because I have Diabetes, it is difficult to ascertain what injuries were actually caused by the accident! I have been issued with a part 36, giving me 13 days to make a decision or the whole case wil be cancelled. What they have offered, would not go far and out of that there is to be taken their commission, plus they are talking about further costs for tests, which I did not request and attended at my own costs. I am existing on benefits, whereas I had quite a good job and had always worked. My Husband is retired and disabled and we are really struggling in all respects. My friend who was a front seat passenger on the day, accepted £6,000 3 years ago and £1000 in costs. It's the same Solicitor. They took £2,000 commission. So she received about £5,000 in total, which she was very happy with. She admits it was only minimal inconvenience and she never took any time off work. The driver's claim is still ongoing, complicated by further health issues - but she has a different Solicitor. She isn't terribly bothered and said it has gone on too long. Her life hasn't been affected like mine has.
    What if anything can I do at this stage? I feel I have been thrown to the wolves, I got no warning of any of this. I am currently having yet more physiotherapy and have just had a spinal x ray, with no results as yet. I get dizziness regularly too. This has made me suicidal and very depressed. I expected to receive enough money, so that we wouldn't have to worry about essential bills for at least a few years.
    Thank you for your time in reading this.
    Help!
    Tags: None

It would be easier if you stuck to the existing thread about this same problem in this same case.

https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...nsation-please
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Sorry I hadn't seen the headings when I originally posted and thought it was better here, as it relates to the subject matter. I have also given more detail here and can't now find my original post.
      i would like advice on whether to accept what seems a very low offer after 4.5 years and given that I haven't been able to work since several weeks after the accident.

Comment

Your solicitor has much more information about your case than we do. Get him or her to give you advice.

The point is that your solicitor should know all the facts of your case, and should have read the medical reports, with details of injuries, their effects and the prognosis. He ought to know the range of the compensation you would be awarded if successful.

He should have an idea of your chances of winning, taking account of all points raised by the defence.

We do not have anywhere near sufficient information to say whether you should accept the offer (which you have not specified).

​​
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Hello again and thank you for your reply. I haven't been given any advice from the Solicitor at all. There has been not much contact over the last 4.5 years, despite me emailing to ask for updates regularly. I had messages saying my Sol had Covid (x3) or was busy and would get back to me, but never did.
          The offer of £15,000 has come out of the blue. I have only had 2 weeks to consider, instead of the 21 days. So I have requested an extension. Out of the amount offered, the Solicitors are due 25% and have mentioned additional costs, something said about medical costs. None of which I requested and attended at my own costs for parking and travelling etc.
          The reason I am now here is despite asking questions of the Sol, I am not getting any answers. I don't know where the figure has come from, or what process was followed to get to this point. I don't know what my rights are or what ai can do next. My life has been changed forever and no one seems to care.
          it was mentioned last year that this may go to Court and I was dreading that, but I don't understand why this offer has suddenly been made.

Comment

We have no basis on which to assess that offer. Tell your solicitor to do their job and give you some advice.

Comment

Thank you again atticus. I have sent an email with questions and will post again here if necessary. Not expecting a lot in response though tbh.

Comment

I'm afraid that I still don't have an answer from the Solicitor. I have asked for an extension to the 21 days, because the date the paperwork was received, only gave me 14 days.
                Time is running out and I don't know what to do?

Comment

It is Tuesday morning, the day after the Monday on which the solicitor will have seen your email. Give him some time! (But not too much).

Comment

Thank you atticus, I was thinking I will send another email late tomorrow.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X