• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Adviice needed on no win no fee claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adviice needed on no win no fee claim

My niece was involved in a works accident last year. She consulted a local no win no fee solicitor. After assessing her case he told her that she would be eligible for compensation in the region of £35,000 and took on her case with a fee of 25%. Shortly afterwards the pandemic contrarians came into force and this delayed the proceedings.
    Before the case could be completed, me niece died from conditions unrelated to the accident. Her executor has now received information from the insurer to tell him that he has accepted £15,000 in compensation. From this he has deducted £7500, which he says represents his charges.
    This is twice as much as my niece agreed and also I would have thought that as the case was settled in her favour the other side should have paid his fees.

Tags: None

Ask for a breakdown of how the deduction was calculated. The otherside no longer pay all the costs so it's not unusual for there to be a deduction from the compensation - this change came in around 2013.

The deduction should be capped at 25% but they maybe able to deduct the cost of an insurance policy too so the maximum should be capped at 35%.

Comment

Originally posted by oakwoodbank View Post
      My niece was involved in a works accident last year. She consulted a local no win no fee solicitor. After assessing her case he told her that she would be eligible for compensation in the region of £35,000 and took on her case with a fee of 25%. Shortly afterwards the pandemic contrarians came into force and this delayed the proceedings.
      Before the case could be completed, me niece died from conditions unrelated to the accident. Her executor has now received information from the insurer to tell him that he has accepted £15,000 in compensation. From this he has deducted £7500, which he says represents his charges.
      This is twice as much as my niece agreed and also I would have thought that as the case was settled in her favour the other side should have paid his fees.

A no win no fee claim is a conditional fee arrangement where the solicitor will not charge the client any fees if the case is lost. The solicitors will only charge a success fee if the case is won. This success fee is usually a percentage of the damages that have been awarded to the client.
      The standard fee for most solicitors is 25% of the compensation awarded, but the price can go higher depending on several factors. When I hired this no win no fee solicitor, they were transparent with the calculation after the case. As for your situation, the best thing you need to do is ask for a detailed breakdown of how they ended up calculating that amount.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X