• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

7 to 8 year wait for operation, can I claim off the actual NHS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 to 8 year wait for operation, can I claim off the actual NHS

Hi, I'm New here and wondered if someone can help, I'm sorry my post is so long winded.

After years of waiting i was finally diagnosed with small duct idiopathic chronic pancreatitis at the end of 2012 beginning of 2013. My surgeon said I needed a total pancreatectomy with autologous islet cell transplant, he then said pre 2012 I could have had it done but, due to the agenda for change, the NHS are changing the way it's funded. After years of waiting, due to ridiculous excuses and bureaucracy, last year on the NHS birthday they finally announced they were going to routinely fund it, more bureaucracy and last month my surgeon said I could have it, although it will take a while for the labs to get back up and running again, so yet more waiting, probably another year.

My surgeon is very well respected in his field and has fought for this funding for years, due to my medical training i fully understand the ways in which the nhs has postponed the funding, for some absolutly rediculous reasons, it actually beggers believe. My surgeon told me that it was pointless applying for individual funding because not one person has been successful with their bid, except one woman who was a gp and the cousin of william hague, apparently my surgeons team was flown to newcastle to do the operation on her, no word of a lie....its unbelievable, but true.

The cost of the operation is £250,000, my surgeon assumes thats the problem but, because my problem is rare, there are only approx 40 people waiting, so really its not that much of the NHS budget. I was a paediatric nurse doing a post grad when I finally had to retire in 2006. I have been in agonising pain and have severe depression, I only live for my daughter. My quality of life has deteriorated over the years and all treatments give little or no relieve. My question is, if the operation is a success and I finally get to live a normal life, can I sue the nhs for the years I've spent waiting for them to make a decision.

Thank you for taking the time to read.
    Last edited by Fiocena; 20th September 2019, 09:13:AM.
    Tags: None

Well, it's quite disturbing! Have you tried to speak a personal injury solicitor explaining all the things that you have suffered?

Comment

About 4 years ago I spoke to a personal injury lawyer, I was told to wait until after the operation and then ask again, nothing else was said. To tell you the truth, I've spoke to my MP about it had letters off of a lord from the house of parliament....one of which answered my question completely wrong, so I thought what is the point. I even asked the NHS about the operation and they replied to let me know that autologous intestinal tranplatation was already offered....I either got no answer or the wrong answer. My surgeon seems to think that the members of the board's that look into funding and make the decisions haven't got a clue, every time I met with him the NHS had made some feable reason why they hadn't come to a decision and then we'd have to wait another year. It is disturbing, I couldn't make it up if I tried.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X