• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. If this is your first visit to LegalBeagles and you need assistance then you can ask a question here;
    Create a Thread
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Dentist negligent? and how to obtain compensation

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dentist negligent? and how to obtain compensation

    Good morning

    At the begining of the year, I registered with an NHS dentist, who offered me an NHS replacement of a cracked tooth veneer at the top front. The veneer was done in March, was too big and the wrong colour but I didn't complain at the time. Two months later, one night in May I woke up in the night with the veneer loose in my mouth. Returning to the dentist, he wanted to drill off the top of the underlying tooth and I objected, saying that it didn't make sense to damage a perfectly good tooth to accomodate a veneer on another tooth. He put the veneer back on, there was some drilling (which I thought was to the veneer, but I now think was to the back of veneered tooth). He said that if the veneer came off again, the tooth would need to be crowned instead. The veneer came off again about three weeks later, when I was in bed just nodding off to sleep. I was very distressed, totally lost faith in that dentist and bewildered as to how a tooth that had a veneer affixed for about 25 years (one of about 8 veneered teeth) should suddenly need to be crowned. I consulted a private dentist who said that a crown was out of the question on a front tooth because the metal base would always show through the porcelain and the tooth would be a different colour than surrounding teeth. His advice was a new veneer. He explained in detail why the NHS veneer had come off and was never going to be suitable for the tooth it was intended to cover. I am confident that the private dentist will get the job done properly. I am a pensioner on a limited income and am having to spend money I can't afford on something that was not my fault. The initial consultation was 75 and the new veneer will cost nearly 600. I would like to recover this money from the NHS, plus if possible, a little for my stress and distress.

    If I understand correctly, something as small as this must be claimed via the small claims court and I cannot recover any solicitors fees. Alternatively, since I paid the original NHS charge (around 269, I need to check the exact amount) on my credit card, I can ask the bank for a charge-back instead of trying to recover the cost of the private dentristry and compensation.

    I have also not yet complained to the NHS. It seems as though I have to complaint to NHS England, who will then decide whether to pass my complaint on to the appropriate authority.

    I would be grateful for any opinions/advice.

    Thank you.

    Tags: None

  • #2
    Have you actually informed the manager at the practice of the NHS Dentist you are not happy with the service you received? so they officially have that on record I think you need to let them know asap -


    • #3
      Originally posted by Blue123 View Post
      Have you actually informed the manager at the practice of the NHS Dentist you are not happy with the service you received? so they officially have that on record I think you need to let them know asap -
      I have had no contact with the NHS dentist and am still in a state of shock. The practice manager, when the veneer came off the first time, was unhelpful and I want nothing more to do with them. The care I have had from the private dentist totally outweighs that from the NHS dentist. I understand that under circumstances such as these, there is no need to go through the complaints ptocess.

      Thank you for taking the time to comment.


      • #4
        You should not hesitate to complain to the NHS. Try to resolve it with your practitioner first if you gain no success then next step to complain to NHS England. You can complain in writing, by email or by speaking to someone who concerns. The complaint must be made within one year of receiving the treatment.

        If you're not happy with the way your complaint was handled either by the dental practice or NHS England you may wish to contact the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO).

        The PHSO makes the final decision on complaints that haven't been resolved by NHS England.

        If you don't trust on NHS then you can make your claim by having a dental negligence claim solicitor by your side. Most of the personal injury solicitors would be happy to offer you a free and no-obligation consultation. They can also take your case on no win no fee basis after reviewing your case.
        Last edited by victorross; 26th September 2019, 16:56:PM.


        • #5
          Anyone can choose to sue their dentist for a bad dental procedure. This is called a dental malpractice lawsuit, and it is part of the medical malpractice practice area within personal injury law. If you pay NHS dental treatment charges then find out that you're entitled to free or reduced cost treatment, you can claim a refund. However, I didn't meet this problem because my dentist is one of the best Dr Karen Davis Dentistry and my teeth are in perfect shape only of his cause because helped me to escape of cavity.
          Last edited by JanRobertson; 17th September 2020, 09:40:AM.


          View our Terms and Conditions

          LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

          If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

          If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.