• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Pitfalls of Vehicle Insurance and NCD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitfalls of Vehicle Insurance and NCD

I am guessing I am not the only one to be affected by this so I am hoping to get some sage advice on how to proceed.

I spoke to my previous insurance company yesterday and they told me I had 12 years NCD. The agent told me that when I went to them in 2007 that I provided proof of NCD totalling 10 years.

I have never had a claim since being with them but allowed my policy to lapse at the end of May 2012. To my mind, that should mean I have accrued 15 years. I contacted them today and they double-checked and confirmed 15 years protected in writing.

I've gone through another broker and incepted a policy but they only allow entry of up to 9 years NCD.

I asked them, "How many years NCD will be able to confirm once I have enjoyed another year's claim free driving". They replied. 10 years.

This cannot be right.

I have also learnt a lot about The Claims and Underwriting Exchange today.

So how will this look next year when I obtain quotes for 16 years NCD and then only receive 10 years NCD from the current broker. It will look as though I am fabricating information in my book.

What should and what can I do about this please?
    Tags: None

Re: Pitfalls of Vehicle Insurance and NCD

First of all bear in mind the No Claim Bonus is discretionary, and companies work to different parameters.
    Most work to a maximum of 70 to 75% discount for between 5 and 9 years.
    Some companies will keep a tally for each year you are insured, so up to 15 or 20 years or whatever, but the maximum discount will still be the same as if you had 10 years.
    Other companies only keep it for the maximum that they recognize. The Norwich Union maximum used to be 5 years, and that often caused clients a subsequent problem if they wanted to go to a different insurer.

If you push your new insurer you may get them to agree to issue you with a letter if you leave them stating you had gone to them with
    15 years proof of No claims and had not claimed during the years you had been insured by them.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X