• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Voluntary Termination of a Hire purchase or conditional loan under the CCA 1974

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Voluntary Termination of a Hire purchase or conditional loan under the CCA 1974

I have no intention of taking out any finance in the short term, so I wont be pressured into handing money over and fighting to get it back (as I noticed someone else on here doing). So I am not too overly worried on that front. Although I would prefer it not to drag on for a year admittedly, as there are some things coming up then.

Anyway, letter was sent recorded delivery, just as I put it. I didn't bother mentioning the actual amount of excess mileage, as I don't intend to pay it. Certainly not at this stage anyway. So thought there was little point in mentioning it just now, and rather wait until it comes to the crunch before going down that route.

Now the wait for the response. I'm sure they will try and call me, but I will simply state I am too busy to speak, and all correspondence should be via letter or email, so that I can review it when I get a chance.

Comment

• Re: Voluntary Termination of a Hire purchase or conditional loan under the CCA 1974

Yes it will be the best way, I think the person you are referring to may have bottled it after receiving the letter from BMW's external solicitors and may have put him off but we may or may not find out about that.

Keep us updated on the progress.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

OK.

So I got a response from BMWFS today. I have scanned the letter, blanked the sensitive info, and posted here.

So how do I proceed from here? Should I re-send the excess mileage letter (below), but keeping the reasonable condition part in play? Or go straight to the ombudsman?

Would there be any advantage in starting my own thread, and keeping everything pertinent to my case there? I would be happy to update here too, but it might be "cleaner" if there aren't 40-odd pages around my info. (EDIT: I have started thread here: http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...ocess-(Aug-16))

Response to lender disputing excess mileage charges

Dear Sir/Madam,

Re: Voluntary Termination

Agreement Number:
        Vehicle Registration:

I am writing further to your letter dated [DATE].

Please note that liability in relation to the alleged outstanding balance for excess mileage is denied.

You have suggested in your letter that I am liable to pay excess mileage under the terms of the agreement, however this is not correct. Section 100(1) confirms that liability is restricted to one half of the total price payable. The CCA defines ‘total price’ as “total sum payable by the debtor under a hire-purchase agreement or a conditional sale agreement, including any sum payable on the exercise of an option to purchase, but excluding any sum payable as a penalty or as compensation or damages for a breach of the agreement” (emphasis added).

As you have already alluded to, the excess mileage is a contractual term of the agreement and therefore cannot be included as an amount which is owed. This position is further clarified under section 173 of the Act in that any contractual term which is inconsistent with any rights under the CCA and imposes additional liability, whether direct or indirect, shall be void and unenforceable.

[I note that your letter refers to s.100 of the Consumer Credit Act insofar as the vehicle is not in a reasonable condition as a result of the excess mileage. Despite this claim, you have not provided any evidence outlining specifically the damage caused to the vehicle due to the excess mileage. I am of the opinion that the vehicle was maintained in a reasonable condition throughout the period of the agreement. Therefore, such damage charges you are claiming would amount to fair wear and tear and the vehicle does not need to be returned to you in any better condition other than a reasonable one.]

Nonetheless, the excess mileage clause is based on the principle of ascertaining an estimated value of the car, taking into account its age and anticipated mileage at the end of the hire period. The hirer is then offered the option to purchase the vehicle at the suggested price. Mileage which exceeds the stipulated amount under the terms does not however, mean that the vehicle is not in a reasonable condition.

In any event, such sums you are alleging to be owed may only be recovered by a court order only and should you wish to pursue this matter in court, your application will be strongly defended.

Please confirm by return that this matter is now closed.
        Yours faithfully,

[NAME]
        Last edited by xs2man; 10th September 2016, 10:47:AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Peterbard View Post
          THIS THREAD IS GENERALLY USED FOR QUERIES - AN UPDATED VERSION OF YOUR RIGHTS TO VT & FAQS CAN BE FOUND HERE -> http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ment-*UPDATED*

Voluntary Termination of a Hire purchase or conditional loan under the CCA 1974

The intention of this piece is to clarify the situation regarding VT’s. There is much misinformation given from various sources, some of it well-meaning and some perpetuated by dealers who fully know that the provisions give the debtor an effective tool to mitigate losses on an unwise purchase.

It is true to say that this particular piece of legislation survived the recent consumer credit reforms by the skin of its teeth, there were many lobbying for it to be rescinded.

First some basic facts:

1) Contrary to popular belief, the debtor is fully entitled to terminate the agreement at any time. It does not matter if he is in arrears or if he has paid half of the total amount on the contract.

2) The debtor does not have to fill in a form provided by the creditor in order to voluntary terminate the vehicle. It is quite acceptable for the debtor to just write a letter giving the creditor reasonable notice. (We will include some template letters later in the thread for you to use.)

3) The creditor cannot charge a fee of any kind for this; he is compelled to provide this service by statute.

4) You do not have to make any special arrangement to return the car; they must arrange either a local drop off point, or free collection.

5) If no arrangements can be made for return of the vehicle, it must be made clear that a charge will be made against them to cover storage.

6) The vehicle does not have to be in pristine condition when you return it. They cannot refuse the Termntation whatever the condition. All that is required by statute is that the goods were” reasonably well” looked after.

7) It is true that they are entitled to charge for any work needed to return the vehicle to a reasonable standard. To this end they may ask you to witness a condition report on termination.
          You do not have to attend anything although it may be in your interests to do so. Sometimes these are carried out by an independent agency such as the RAC other times it is one of the dealer’s employees. At the end of the inspection they will ask you to sign the report. Do not sign unless you totally agree with what is on it and it is properly particularised. “A slight indentation on rear off side”, could land you with a bill for a new wing.

8) To repeat you do not have to sign anything, they are compelled by statute to accept the car back the agreement is terminated.

Peter

HI Peter,

Your information is very useful.

I am currently trying to VT my Mercedes, I am over the half way point of my 36 month contract but they are saying I have to take in to consideration the final balloon payment at the end of the 3 years? Is this correct?

Thanks,

Alex

Comment

Yes, that is correct. It's 50% of the total amount payable, so deposit+payments+final payment+interest.

Comment

I have just filled in the form to exercise my right to an early termination with Peugeot Finance. They have confirmed I have payed over 50% and advised they would be in contact to arrange collecting of my vehicle within 3 weeks.
              My question is, The next payment is due out 1st Oct which will be around the date of vehicle collection would I still need to make this payment or could I cancel the direct debit.

Thanks in Advance

Kelly

Comment

You can cancel, they have acknowledged receipt and you owe nothing more since it is now terminated.
                If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

I'd just like to post my thanks at this time to everyone putting so much hard work into this thread.
                  Using the in depth template from page 1, I am now mid VT with Startline.
                  As expected after reading on here, they've sent me a VT form and I've just replied advising I will not be signing as the agreement has already been terminated as per my initial letter. I also added a line advising ther is no MOT cert due to the car being only 2 & 1/2 years old.
                  I've requested they get back to me with a mutually agreeable collection date/time, I'll keep y'all updated on the progress.

The KA is in tip top condition, both services performed by Ford, and has had 1 new tyre. Also it has less than 6k miles on the clock.

Will be a nice feeling saving so much money every month now the KA is being handed back!

Cheers,

B

Comment

Hi,

I've sent my letter of VT to FCA today. My next payment is due on 2nd October, will I still have to make this payment or can I cancel my direct debit?

Thanks,
                    Ashley

Comment

A brief update on my VT - they are claiming I need to pay £183 for collection of the vehicle as per my t&c's.
                      I don't have the paperwork to hand, but going by other posts I'm guessing they are at it?

Edit: checked & section 10 they are quoting refers to early termination BY THEM. Total chancers!
                      One strongly worded reply coming up!
                      Last edited by brody77; 15th September 2016, 18:01:PM. Reason: New information

Comment

Originally posted by malnik View Post
                        Started the VT process with Fiat today, used the template on this forum, ive ignored the letter FCA sent me wanting me to sign accepting costs.

Lets see what happens, I shall keep this updated.
                        Hi Malnik,
                        Any update on your VT with Fiat?

Ashley

Comment

Hi guys,

Quick update on my VT with FCA. I sent my letter on 15th Sept and it was received on 16th; I received a call earlier today saying that the termination has been accepted and that their agents will be in touch in the next couple of days to arrange inspection and collection, they said there is nothing to sign as they are currently updating their letters as they are out of date. They also followed up the call with an emailing confirming the termination has been 'accepted and actioned'.

Does this mean I can now cancel my direct debit?

Thanks,
                          Ashley

Comment

Yes you can cancel it Ashley
                            LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Fab, thanks! :-)

Comment

Dear Folks...this is the first time that I have been on a forum so bear with me. I am a little computer illiterate. My son is currently going through this process. He has sent the letter that was kindly supplied as a template. The company has said that they want to come to inspect his vehicle. They say that the terms and condition of his agreement say that he has to pay them £70 to come to inspect the car. Is this right. I do recall seeing something here before which says do not start to pay fees etc. Also his regular direct debit is due to come out of the bank next week but his letter was sent 19th September. Should he continue to make monthly payments until the car has been collect and taken away?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X