• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Voluntary Termination of a Hire purchase or conditional loan under the CCA 1974

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Voluntary Termination of a Hire purchase or conditional loan under the CCA 1974

Have a read of this, it answers your questions http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ry-Termination

If you still need help let me know. As for insurance, if the insurance is tied up as part of the total credit I would say you dont even need to pay the remainder of the insurance.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

• Re: Voluntary Termination of a Hire purchase or conditional loan under the CCA 1974

Originally posted by R0b View Post
      Have a read of this, it answers your questions http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ry-Termination

If you still need help let me know. As for insurance, if the insurance is tied up as part of the total credit I would say you dont even need to pay the remainder of the insurance.
      Thanks for the reply.

The insurance products were separate from the main credit agreement, so I have no qualms about paying that.

I have now sent an email to the person named in the letter I received as follows:

Dear Ms Wilkinson,

Thank you for your letter dated 09th March 2016.

When I called to obtain details of your nearest agent, I ended up having
      a heated conversation with someone who said they were the head of your
      legal department, about returning the vehicle.
      He said that I could deliver the vehicle to Bath, which seeing as I live
      in Plymouth, is a totally unreasonable distance to expect me to travel
      to drop the car off.

He then informed me that I would have to pay an £80 collection fee, for
      the vehicle to be collected from me, as stated in your letter, but I
      know that a collection fee cannot be charged.

I would therefore be grateful if you could provide me with a drop off
      point a lot closer to Plymouth than Bath.

I would also be grateful if you could let me have your bank details so
      that I can make a payment of £66.50 for my insurance products by bank
      transfer.

Yours sincerely

Will hopefully hear from them tomorrow, but still expecting them to insist I pay the £80 for collection!!!

Comment

Ok thats fair enough, personally I wouldn't bother with delivering the car let them take it or remove the insurance/tax from it within a reaosnable time if they don't your not there to continue making payments on the vehicle once you have terminated.

If you spoke to the head of the legal department you should tke their name next time and you could also threaten that they if they continue to tell you that you owe the collection fee you will report them to the SRA for breach of the Code of Conduct in taking advantage of someone who is not legally represented and/or deceit when they should knwo that they cannot charge for collection fees. If the agreement was finished and come to an end then they could charge collection fees but as you terminated under s.99 of the CCA 1974, your liability is limited.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

I need some advise!! I am wanting to take voluntary termination, but when I phoned the finance company today and asked what kind of agreement I am tied in to, I was told I have a motor loan and therefore I have personal guaranteed the loan and I can not hand the car back. Is this correct????? Can I not voluntary terminate a motor loan agreement??? Very stressed by all the different types of agreements.

Comment

Who is the loan with? if you don't have a copy request a copy of the agreement you are entitled to it. I've never heard of a motor loan but the fact the word loan is in it then sounds like a personal loan so if that's the case no you cannot. Anything with the word loan in the heading of the agreement would ring alarm bells for me as a loan and not a hire purchase or conditional sale

As harsh as it may sound, you should really be checking the type of agreement and your rights before you sign it off.
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Yes I feel very stupid now. It is a motor loan balloon. I pay for the car for 4 years and then have option to buy or hand the car back. With these terms I just thought it was hire purchase. It is with FCA Automative (fiat finance). Looks like I am stuck with it.

Comment

If you have the option to purchase the car or hand it back it could very well be a hire purchase agreement. You should request a copy of the signed agreement so you can review the terms and conditions. Were you not given a copy when you signed it?
                LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Hello, im new to the forum as of today!

Ill get straight to the point!

Im 2 months off being half way through my HP Agreement with Blackhorse Finance - Im just wondering which Letter i would need to use proceed with the VT ?

Car was bought from SG Petch and Financed through Blackhorse

Thanks!

Comment

Hi guys

I have a company contract lease car as a staff benefit and I have a year left on it after completing 2 years. I am unfortunately leaving the company but the car lease company are refusing to change it to a personal lease and still want to charge me a early termination fee. This charge would come out of my payslip but I don't even know where to start arguing with them. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Bhavin

Comment

Originally posted by bhavinkhima View Post
                      Hi guys

I have a company contract lease car as a staff benefit and I have a year left on it after completing 2 years. I am unfortunately leaving the company but the car lease company are refusing to change it to a personal lease and still want to charge me a early termination fee. This charge would come out of my payslip but I don't even know where to start arguing with them. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Bhavin
                      What exactly is it you want to argue with them? A lease is not the same as a hire purchase or conditional sale agreement. So dependent on the terms, if there is a termination fee then you will more than likely have to pay it, unless there is something in the terms that says either your employer will pay on ending your employment or that you don't need to pay it.
                      LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Hi there, I appreciate all the advice on this thread and would recommend to anyone in the same position! I have currently paid the remaining balance to make up to half of the total amount payable and am looking to send the VT letter at some point today. However the finance company remain adamant that I have to fill out forms once they recieve this letter, and that there will be a charge if they collect the vehicle. I have stuck to my guns but there's no budge. Should I go ahead and send the letter and take it from there? I think they feel that because I'm a young lad that I don't know my rights well that is not the case. Thankyou in advance

Comment

Hi Joe,

there is no legal obligation for you to fill out any forms but simply give them notice that you wish to terminate your agreement. If they are being pushy, then send the letter anyway and ask them to point out in the legislation where it says that you are legally obliged to fill out any forms they send to you. This will of course either ignore what you say or come up with some excuse saying that to VT you must sign and return the forms. Again, there is no requirement for you to do so.
                          LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Hi ROb,

I will proceed with sending the VT letter tomorrow morning using Special delivery. They will more than likely contact me to sign 'forms' which I will decline. Should they give me information on where to drop the car off as soon as they receive the letter? What should I say if they continue to insist on charging me for picking up the vehicle? I don't mind dropping the vehicle off at a reasonable distance but I most certainly will not be charged if they have to pick it up.

Comment

Hi Joe, they will try to insist as they will say it is in the contract but your liability is restricted when you VT so the term cannot override the consumer credit act. If they want to fight it they can take it to court, but I think it will be unlikely as the law seems to be pretty clear on this. They will course threaten people with legal action and/or instruct debt collectors to recover the money but in all reality, it is only the court who is able to enforce it. Most people will crumble at the threat of debt collectors or legal action but I think if you stand your ground it will just be smoke and mirrors from them.
                              LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Hi Rob,

Cheers for the information. I will continue to read through the thread and use all of the info. If there is any worries or hassle I will be sure to contact you. Cheers mate

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X