• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Voluntary Termination of a Hire purchase or conditional loan under the CCA 1974

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Voluntary Termination of a Hire purchase or conditional loan under the CCA 1974

Hi Bazzler,

Sorry - it's been a long day! I see you state you were going to have a final attempt with a manager which sounds more than reasonable to me. Post up how it went, and then any outstanding issues.

Comment

Re: Voluntary Termination of a Hire purchase or conditional loan under the CCA 1974

Ok Labman, hope all is well with you!

I received a call back yesterday afternoon from the same woman I had a bit of an irate call with and feared the worst... She said she'd spoken to her manager about the situation and then said I would receive contact from their asset management team with a view to inspecting the car at my nearest Manheim auction house. She just said that I'd be liable for/if any repairs are required after the inspection, that I agree to on the signed report.... and hopefully that will be it

I'm not counting my chickens yet, certainly, but we're now getting to the stage I hoped we'd be at as soon as my letter had been received. Oh... and if I had half a brain I'd be dangerous... I found the service book and it has the first 3 stamps in it up until when I purchased the car. I was sure it didn't come with anything. Anyway, I'm going to get a local garage to give it the once over this afternoon and get another service stamped in there for me... as it's only done under 6k miles since the last one.

Thanks for all the help guys, and I'll keep you updated as it happens

Comment

those repairs would only be for damage not consistant with the vehicle age and condition

the finance company have no intention of doing any repirs, the auction house will just sell it

make sure you take lots of photos at the auction house, try and get the assessor and aution house signs in the shots

it just goes to show the finance company were spinning you a line on the vt

Comment

Originally posted by miliitant View Post
          those repairs would only be for damage not consistant with the vehicle age and condition

the finance company have no intention of doing any repirs, the auction house will just sell it

make sure you take lots of photos at the auction house, try and get the assessor and aution house signs in the shots

it just goes to show the finance company were spinning you a line on the vt
          Thanks There shouldn't be any issue with damage as it's in spot on condition. Any little slight marks will be photographed with that days newspaper, should he want to make a note of any on his report. How in depth are the checks usually, and also, do I just fill in and send off section 9 of the V5 document after they have also signed it?

Cheers

Comment

you have to notify DVLA that you are no longer the keeper of the vehicle , so send that slip off to dvla

knowing DVLA like i do, send it recorded delivery

Comment

Originally posted by miliitant View Post
              you have to notify DVLA that you are no longer the keeper of the vehicle , so send that slip off to dvla

knowing DVLA like i do, send it recorded delivery
              Just send section 9 Yes? And give the rest of the V5 to the person that signed for the car I presume... sorry for the rather basic questions, just don't want anything else to go wrong on this

I will send via Special Delivery anyway.

Comment

Indeed Mil! Don't forget the newspaper to prove the date, and don't rushed by the finance house. Anything they state on report, go back and photo if necessary.

Hope it goes smoothly and well done for sticking your ground!

Comment

The inspection flagged up 2 scraped alloy wheels at £55 each, but that was all. If £110 is the amount I get billed I'd be more than happy to walk away owing that. I got tax disc back too which has 4 months to claim back.

Comment

As long as your happy - did you get a copy so they can't add stuff later?

Peronally I'd consider minor scrapes on alloys fair wear and tear, but if you're happy, it's up to you if you argue that or just put it to rest.

well done, and I'm delighted it was a positive resolution for you.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                      As long as your happy - did you get a copy so they can't add stuff later?

Peronally I'd consider minor scrapes on alloys fair wear and tear, but if you're happy, it's up to you if you argue that or just put it to rest.

well done, and I'm delighted it was a positive resolution for you.
                      To be fair, one of the alloys I didn't realise was as bad as it was and agreed with him on that one. The rear alloy was much less so clear cut, but he said they had been told to have almost zero tolerance on the alloys now.

Everything was on a proper Manheim printed sheet which I signed both copies and kept one, with the only parts highlighted being the alloys.

Also, he either missed or didn't report on the broken hinge of the glove compartment and he also said that the rear drivers side wing had been resprayed at one point (not me!) but it was a good job so he also didn't report that. All in all, I was expecting to have to pay more than that so I'm pleased. I will go ahead and cancel my direct debit now I am no longer in possesion of the car.

Thanks so much for all the help received on here! I feel I'd have given in long ago if it wasn't for the support and re-assurance

Comment

Excellent result - well done!

Comment

Dear Mr. Peterbard

I have been reading this post with interest, as I will be helping my potential son-in law, VT an HP agreement regulated by the CCA 1974.

If I may, I have 2 questions:

1) His agreement is in 2 parts, goods and services. In your post you state "If you pay less than £1500 per year on your agreement you must give 1 months notice" - is this just in relation to the goods, or the goods and services; the 'goods side' is £1482 per annum, the services side £968. I am trying to figure out how much notice to serve.

2) I believe he is not able to terminate the services side, and this will remain payable until completion. Presumably though, he can contact the various insurance companies involved, advise them to cancel the policies and ask for a rebate?; It's the AA in this scenario.

Thank you in advance for any help you are able to offer.

Comment

came across this yesterday

http://www.motor.org.uk/magazine/art...ators-105.html

quote "
                            Cover Feature - Menace of the Terminators

Video Nasties are not normally associated with the reception lounges of car showrooms but one graphic production showing in auto supermarkets in the North of England has been alarming squeamish motor finance company managers.
                            The film in question spreads the word to consumers about how to voluntarily terminate hire-purchase agreements by returning keys to the lender and walking away once half of the borrowed amount on the car (including interest) is paid.
                            By actively spreading what one finance sector executive dubbed “the VT virus”, this video guide – aided by sales staff complicity – is encouraging the premature ending of finance deals which, according to latest figures, is costing lenders nearly £100m a year.
                            Enshrined in the 1974 Consumer Protection Act, the VT option was designed to protect borrowers from being forced to pay excessive HP repayments.
                            However, Phil Stone, managing director of Black Horse Motor Finance, points out that the legislation’s origins date back to 1938 with moves to combat unscrupulous cattle dealing. He says: “What was intended to avoid farmers being lumbered with high payments on three-legged cows is resulting in finance companies taking back what might as well be three-wheeled cars.”
                            Truncated HP agreements, which account for most VTs, cost finance firms an average of £1,500 per abandoned vehicle according to the Finance and Leasing Association.
                            Stone believes the problem was triggered by the reduction of new car prices after the “rip-off Britain” campaign four years ago. “Lower new vehicle prices and knock-on damaged residuals created the climate in which VTs thrive. Minimal deposits, high advances and longer-term repayment terms compound the problem. It is not surprising that some in the trade are complicit in encouraging VTs,” said Stone.
                            “They want to hit volume targets via shorter replacement cycles. So the prospect of a car’s depressed future value generating negative equity makes VT a quick fix to maintain turnover and hit manufacturers’ new car bonus targets. At the end of the day the customer is likely to struggle to find equity for the next deal. It is hardly likely to engender consumer loyalty.”
                            James Broadhead, sales and operations director for independent lender Close Motor Finance, which operates exclusively through retailers, says he understands dealers’ ambivalence towards VTs caused by pressure to “sell as many cars as often as possible using the cheapest monthly payments as the prime means”. But for lenders it means “carrying the can and picking up the tab and pain for a flawed system”.
                            Broadhead is relieved that players in the sector to date have not stretched repayments towards “suicidal” six or seven-year periods to protect or expand market share at any cost.
                            Running an operation that accounts for 20% of point of sale motor finance, Phil Stone acknowledges the irony that independent and dealer-dependent finance providers are the main victims of the VT trend. He says: “They are part of a move to counter High Street and direct lenders’ incursions into the market with unsecured personal loans, which of course are not liable to VTs.”
                            Black Horse intervened early in 2001 to limit the damage of early terminations. Proposed retailer deals are monitored with the central aim of avoiding negative equity. Stone explains: “We make the customer aware of the pitfalls, but avoid alienating, penalising, or leading them into mutually damaging temptation. Re-writing the agreement on a personal loan basis is usually the favoured option.”As a result, Black Horse’s annual multi-million pound VT losses now stand at one fifth of the figure racked up during 2001. Equally, the average VT penalty per car sustained by BH is around £1,100.
                            Black Horse’s below average VT “hit” is partially due to being part of a diverse group including Auto Lease and Dutton Forshaw that helps ease the pain of processing returned cars.
                            Stone endorses the unanimous finance sector view (endorsed by the SMMT and FLA) that the VT provision should be “abolished, abandoned and erased” from consumer protection legislation following Department of Trade and Industry consultations.
                            He says: “It is the only solution and the ’74 act works against lenders and the consumer in the long run. We have restrictive offerings at point of sale as a result. As long as the 50% rule applies and you have low or zero deposit and extended payment terms then VTs will plague us.
                            “We could be far more flexible and creative with our products. It extends to not being able to consider higher risk clients because there is no equity in the merchandise.”
                            From the standpoint of Close Motor Finance, James Broadhead commented: “We have not solved the problem, but in our company we have stopped it getting worse. Our average loss per VT is below the nominal average and overall we are losing 25% less compared to two years ago. This is because we took a stance against longer agreements and avoided the silly numbers game.
                            “Some people escalate agreements from 48 to 60 months and inevitably the depreciation curve and the repayment timetable come together to destroy any equity on the car.”
                            He finds that more vulnerable “value brands” suffer particularly badly from the VT trend due to lower front-end prices, poor residual values and longer repayment periods. Declining to name individual car makers he cites larger dealer groups in “certain regional areas” as the main proponents of contract termination.
                            With 5,000 dealers on its books, Close claims to have held its nerve by preaching the gospel of customer retention through educating the consumer about shorter payment periods protecting RVs and leaving consumers with something worthwhile to trade in. If retailers want to offer 60-month terms then a minimum 10% deposit is stipulated by Doncaster-based Close.
                            Broadhead suggests that the VT option may not be deleted but arguably revised with a 75% loaned figure repayment termination threshold. “You cannot go on for ever with VTs because ultimately you take customers out of the market,” he said.
                            John Watts, CAP’s senior forecast manager, paints a bleaker picture when he says: “If the vehicle goes to full term finance companies make a reasonable margin. But if it is voluntarily terminated any time after the cut off date they stand to lose more than they make out of interest.”
                            Watts is also product manager for CAPCalc, a piece of software that provides dealers with the projected value of a given model, based on the assumption that its owner will opt for VT. “The whole issue of voluntary termination is not something that consumers are that clued up about, compared with all their other rights,” said Watts. “Otherwise, the problem could be even worse.”Alain Favey, Citroen UK’s managing director and architect of the innovative “VAT free” offers initiative, is custodian of what is arguably a value brand referred to by James Broadhead. But he denies VTs are any more a problem for the twin chevron-badged cars than the rest of the industry. He describes the right to terminate as “just bizarre and a nonsense” while acknowledging that “sales pressures against equivalent cars lead them (salespeople) to do strange things”.

"

Comment

Can anyone tell me if the Finance company can in enforce excess mileage charges if you hand the car back with a VT ?

Comment

Peter,
                                Thank you for this thread!!!
                                I'm in a situation where I can no longer afford my car. I read your thread, called Black Horse finance to tell them I'd like to consider VT.
                                (I also remember the car dealer telling me that at ANY time payments were out of reach that I could hand the car back without achieving adverse credit.)
                                To my horror Black Horse said I don't qualify for VT as I have an "unregulated agreement"! They could only explain the difference between this type and a "regulated" agreement in as much that it pertained to the sum on the HP agreement, even though I'm almost up to the Fifty percent mark.
                                Is it correct that I cannot have a VT?

Regards
                                Bighag

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X