• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Voluntary Termination of a Hire purchase or conditional loan under the CCA 1974

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Voluntary Termination of a Hire purchase or conditional loan under the CCA 1974

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/39/section/100

Read Sectioin 99 also

Comment

• Re: Voluntary Termination of a Hire purchase or conditional loan under the CCA 1974

My Contract has a section in it called "TerminationRights" it states and amount that would need to be paid and return of the goods and that "If you have already paid at least this amount plus any overdue instalments and have taken reasonable care of the goods, you will not have to pay more".

Seems pretty clear to me having re-read it.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your pm - I always reply on forum. It seems you've got what you were after now. The 'legalese' can appear a bit complex, but it's all there in section 100. What you need to understand is when the agreement is terminated, that is it. It is finished, full stop.

They argue the contractual clauses differently, but basically that's it - you have the right to terminate, you write saying when you're going to terminate and that is when it terminates. It's then ended, and all you might owe under legislation are any sums outstanding (say you were £500 short of the 50% figure, you'd owe £500), BUT that doesn't mean you have to pay that £500 there and then to terminate. You can terminate, hand the vehicle back, and if necessary the £500 could become a replayment plan or part of a DMP.

This is a bit which is often misunderstood. Termination can take place at any time.

Comment

Does anyone know where I stand on this!

I bought a car on HP from Moneybarn! 6months (3000 miles) after owning the car the turbo failed (common problem) I paid to have the repairs carried out at a cost of £1500! 2000 miles later the turbo has gone again! I have reached the 50% mark on my payments (no defaults) and would like to VT.

Would I be liable for the repairs?

When the turbo went the first time the finance company sent out a mechanic to inspect it, he wrote in his report that it was not uncommon for a turbo to fail at this age & mileage (2008 53,000 miles) would this suggest fair wear & tear?

Any help will be great. I'm stressing out so much over this and don't know what to do!

Comment

You can VT it, that is not a problem. The issue of the turbo is more of an issue. I would have thought you'd have been best served taking up the issue of the turbo with the company that fitted it, even if this was the original suppler (just don't mention the VT). Try to argue the issue of being unfit for purpose and not lasting a reasonable length of time.

Once that is resolved and you have a brand new turbo, do the VT immediately while the going is good.

If you VT with the turbo blown, I think you'll be charged the absolute maximum the garage can charge for fitting a new turbo.

I'd be very interested to hear Andy58's views on this one.

Comment

Do you still have the lenders mechanic report which states that this failure is fair wear and tare,
              Does the car still run( I know noting about the workings of the internal combustion engine so you will have to forgive my ignorance).
              Other than this has the car had regular servicing, and is that recorded ?

Comment

Originally posted by Wombats View Post
                You can VT it, that is not a problem. The issue of the turbo is more of an issue. I would have thought you'd have been best served taking up the issue of the turbo with the company that fitted it, even if this was the original suppler (just don't mention the VT). Try to argue the issue of being unfit for purpose and not lasting a reasonable length of time.

Once that is resolved and you have a brand new turbo, do the VT immediately while the going is good.

If you VT with the turbo blown, I think you'll be charged the absolute maximum the garage can charge for fitting a new turbo.

I'd be very interested to hear Andy58's views on this one.
                Thanks for the reply.

unfortunatley the issue is with the engine of the car not the turbo or how it's been fitted! The mechanic went above and beyond to repair it for me. The likely hood is there is sludge still left somewhere within the engine that cannot be removed therefor may require a new engine to stop it happening in the future!

The mechanic told me to not even bother having it repaired as they are shockingly bad! Even when he purchased the turbo it came with a big warning letter stating that if it was fitted to this type of car then it was more than likely going to fail again!

We looked at getting it done under the turbo warranty but it doesn't cover the same fault so any work would have to be paid by me! I can't afford it again aswell as paying the monthly payments! I'm paying for a car to just sit on my drive! Its so frustrating!

cheers

lee

Comment

I'm pretty sure I still have the report.

The car does run but can't be driven incase more damage occurs!

The car has been serviced prior to my ownership, I've not had to service it yet due to the miles I've done! I've covered 5000miles in 2 years as the rest of the time it has been off the road due to the fault!

cheers

Lee

Comment

You have to remember that the cca refers to care of goods, if the goods in questoin depreciate in value or fail during there contractual life it is for the lender to allow for this when making the bargain.
                    if the car was sold when there was a likelihood that it would fail within the lifetime of its use under the contract, even if treated with reasonable care then the hirer cannot be held responsible, the value of the car should track with the usage under the contrast, this is the nature of the protection given by sections 99 and 100 of the act

Comment

So what would be my best option? Sorry just never been in this situation! And my head hurts from thinking about it!

Comment

Well if it were me I would just do the VT. It sounds to me like you have been sold a pup. This section of the CCA is there to protect the consumer, not in order to ensure the lender has a resalable vehicle on termination.
                        The idea is that if the lender/ dealer sells something which basically is not worth the money, the liability of the hirer is limited to one half of the contract price, so his sale comes back and bites him in the backside.

But and it is a big but, this will not be easy, and will take a lot of argument and bloody mindedness on your part, frankly if you don't think that you are up-to it I would not bother, if you do and if you stick to your guns they have no option but to comply, but they can make things very difficult and it can be a long road f you decide to do it in these circumstances.

Comment

[QUOTE=ncf355;478223

I'm also quite intrigued to see what happens where some of these finance companies have placed grey (as in, not an actual default, but close...) markers on someones file after they've used their rights to VT - I'm convinced that if the debtor could show they would have had a clean credi history without such a marker, there would be a basis for damages[/QUOTE]

I am 'worried' that I have this 'grey' notice now on my credit file (here it is copied and pasted) do you think this will look 'bad' on my file? I have just applied for a mortgage, offer in principle accepted on day this came out on my file, so hopefully they saw it and thought nothing of it, but am still worried they may not have seen it and when it come to 'full offer' they will decline me? I also don't know why the balance is £300 odd pounds when I have settled the full figure they quoted me, so it should say zero, maybe they will put it to zero once they have acknowledged the car being returned? (I have returned last wednesday)

Hire Purchase from Banques Psa (I) / XXXXXXXXXXXF001
                          Miss
                          37 @ £ 192 (Monthly) No Payment Due / Unclassified
                          £ 354 £ 0
                          £ 0 £ 0
                          15/12/2012 02/10/2014
                          Payment History
                          This table shows how you have kept your account over time, for information about individual months pass your mouse cursor over the coloured block
                          green green green green green green green green green unclassified/no payment due
                          green green green green green green green green green green green green

Customer Account Update

VOLUNTARY TERMINATION If it is a mortgage account it indicates repossession.
                          For other accounts it indicates surrender of the asset. NB Further payments may be due.
                          Last edited by nobodysdriving; 13th October 2014, 19:55:PM.

Comment

It should not have any impact on your CRF at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombats View Post
                              It should not have any impact on your CRF at all.
                              Thanks

Comment

I had three of these on my credit report at one point and they made no difference whatsoever, i was even able to get HP on a fourth occasion, if it worries you you can always get a note put on your file to say that this refers to a car, terminated under section 99 of the CCA and no further sums were due.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X