• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Sainsburys - Is this legal ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sainsburys - Is this legal ?

J Sainsbury plc - Media - News - Company news

I'm just wondering about the legality of them being able to fine people for parking in the spaces.
    If it is legal is there any legislation that covers it ?

Re: Sainsburys - Is this legal ?

You are not legally obliged to pay a parking fine to a private company as they have no authority to fine you.

Have you read PJs thread? Parking Fine - Civil Enforcement - Legal Beagles

Comment

While the Blue Badge scheme does have some weight behind it, the whole parent/child spaces do not and are simply offered as a "service" by the supermarkets.
      I often use them for a quick visit. OK I do have 2 kiddie seats welded to the back seat, but often they are empty

private parking, don't you just love it

I must admit I'm very tempted to try some theories out with my local Sainsbury's.
      Their car park is privately enforced with a card/barrier system.
      They believe that they can "fine" people £50 for transgressions including overstays and lose of card.
      Well we'll just have to see about that one really.
      I have started parking in hospital Pay&displays without a ticket.
      So far all I have had is a badly photocopied warning saying not to do it again.
      That's after a few dozen visits.

Come on £2 an hour is robbery how ever you dress it up !!!
      I ALWAYS avoid Blue Badge spaces, but any others are open season..

Comment

I don't park in either Blue Badge spaces or Parent & Child spaces, despite the fact I could park in the Parent & Child spaces as I have a 10 year old and a 12 year old.

I just wish I'd known what I know now when we spent the beginning of nearly every week for the best part of 6 months in A&E, but chose to park 2 miles away and walk rather than pay to park.

Comment

It cannot be a fine. They can call it a charge but not a fine. Only local authorities and the police can issue fines. This is a private car parking contract and as such they are invoices, or charges, not fines. They can issue the invoice like anyone else can, but it is a civil matter and the company will have to sue, by issuing a small claim, which they very rarely bother to do.

I would like to have seen details of the "successful trial" they claim happened last year, where they state £50 fines were issued to cars misusing the bays in 61 Sainsbury's car parks within the M25.

I would also take issue with Gavin Clarke over his statement that "The vast majority of those who shouldn't be parking in these bays think that because they are just popping in for a few things they won't cause any inconvenience to the people who really need them. But they do."

Wrong.

The "vast majority" that he mentions use them because they don't care, they are ignorant and selfish.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X