• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

What happens with a HP vehicle on a defaulted and statute barred agreement?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens with a HP vehicle on a defaulted and statute barred agreement?

Coming up to 16 years ago I bought a vehicle on Hire Purchase. It was a 4 year agreement and after 3 years I hit financial issues. Ended up offering the creditor who was the manufacturer the vehicle back with a list of the issues common to that model. One issue required an engine casing replacement which would have cost more than was remaining on the agreement. They declined my offer to hand it back after they almost went as far as court for repossession. Ended up on £5 per month whilst my finances were grim. I ended up moving home, things got worse and I kinda ended up forgetting about it after changing banks. I hadn't updated my address with them and I never heard anything over email. I moved again and now at this point I am over 12 years since default and about 10 years since last payment or contact. As the vehicle was on HP and has outstanding finance, who actually owns it? I know it remains the property of the creditor until payments are completed, but the creditor refused to take the vehicle back, in this situation, who actually has ownership? They didn't make any attempts to contact me or repossess the vehicle after I stopped making token payments, so can they be assumed to have abandoned any claim to it? I have no intention to sell it, just curious where it sits legally.
    Tags: None

You are right. The finance company is still the owner.
    Debtors have a duty to notify creditors when they change address and your finance agreement probably covered this
    When you stopped making payments and the fc was unable to contact you, they could have reported to the police that the vehicle has been stolen.
    You should carry out a vehicle check on the internet

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X