• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

faulty car purchase

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• faulty car purchase

i purchased a car for the sum of £15,000 at the very end of may 2024. 8 weeks later the car has totally blown up. there was no warning lights on the dashboard and no prior warnings to this, it is totally undriveable. i called the garage that i bought the car from and they advised me that it has to be taken to a garage and claimed under the warranty, i then called a local garage to book this in and they advised that it is not a warranty issue as the car is suspected to have the engine blown resulting in at least 9-11k of repairs needed. they advised me to go back to the garage that i purchased the car from and explain this to them. after doing some research online i believe that under the consumer rights act 2015 as i have not had the car for 6 months yet i am covered under this act and the garage has an obligation to try and fix the issue. i sent an email explaining that the car is to be returned to them for repair and they have replied saying that they believe that as the car had a valid mot and a pre inspection check that they are not liable for the costs of repair. they have said that i can return the car to them to look at (some 200 miles away) but i just know that they are probably then going to say that they are not at fault. can anyone give any advice please on where i stand or what i can do. at the minute i am 15k and a car down and not sure wether to return it to them at my cost or what i need to do.
    Tags: None

Did you buy the car through your company?
    How did you pay for the car?
    If you bought the car as a consumer, you have legal rights under the CRA 2015
    The dealer must arrange and pay for transport of the vehicle unless you signed an agreement that stated it was your responsibility to return a faulty car
    As you reported the serious fault within 6 months, the dealer must be given one chance to repair the vehicle, which he has to do within a reasonable time. Replacing an engine is not a quick job so you should ask for a courtesy car. If the dealer refuses your request you should warn him you intend to include the cost of a hire car in your claim for damages
    If the dealer refuses to do anything, you will need an inspection report from a qualified auto engineer before starting a court claim. You can add the cost of this report to your claim

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X