• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Reject/Repair?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reject/Repair?

In June 2024, collected a brand new Audi RS6 from main dealer.

I specifically requested that the steering wheel was checked to ensure it was level and not offset to left/right, if it was, I wished for an alignment to take place to correct it and a before/after printout of settings supplied to me.

The car has been supplied with the steering wheel is not level.

Since collecting, an error message has arisen saying there is fault with the emergency call function, this pops up everytime the car is started. It renders the emergency call function dysfunctional. As well as this, an error message pops up saying the car isn't connected to a network.

Under the CRA, I view these faults as grounds for me to reject the car, of which, I have expressed to the dealer within 30 days.

They say that Audi UK are asking for the car to visit a dealership.

Simple question is, am I legally bound to let them dealer inspect the car or under the CRA short term rejection rights can I press to end the contract and get my deposit refunded?
    Tags: None

Please read the article "What do I need to do if I reject my new car" at www.themotorombudsman.org

You should write to the dealer and finance company (if you purchased the car on finance) stating your wish to reject the car, providing reason(s)

You should stop using the car and give the seller and/or finance company up to 8 weeks to investigate. If you are unhappy with their response you can refer your complaint to the FOS, motor ombudsman or start a court claim.

The 8 weeks will include an inspection of the car

You should not stop paying loan installments

Comment

Thanks, I've written to VWFS and told them I am rejecting due to not being satisfactory quality.

As I rejected within 30 days, legally, do I have to let the dealer inspect the car? I have photographic evidence of the warning errors, obviously photographic evidence of the steering wheel alignment is hard to get.

Comment

I would not want to rely on my own photographic evidence in court. If after inspection, your request to reject is refused, an auto engineer's diagnostic report would strengthen your claim.
        Both Audi and VW have experienced problems with their SOS emergency call system in the past. It is important that this fault is corrected asap. In the event of a serious accident emergency services are contacted automatically and normally arrive at the scene quicker.
        IMO you should take the car to an audi authorised repairer and put a time limit for the faults to be corrected.
        Make diary notes on events and conversations and keep receipts for public transport, taxis
        The consumer can claim damages in addition to a full refund (short term right to reject)

Comment

Ok, but, I don't want the car, if they repair it they can then turn round and say it's repaired, you can't reject it?

That's why I'd like to get 100% clarity on if I can refuse a workshop visit?

Comment

Legally, under CRA, within 30 days from the date of purchase or delivery, you don't have to accept a repair.
            You have written rejecting the car pointing out the faults
            The finance company should arrange collection and refund the money you have paid within 14 days

Before the car is returned you should obtain a diagnostic report that along with your photographic evidence confirms the faults

The dealer may argue that when they inspected the car they couldn't find anything wrong
            The dealer is likely to resist your rejection as the car will lose significant value when it is sold again with one previous owner

If this happens you should consider referring your claim to the FOS. The final decision is binding on the finance company but if you are unhappy with the decision you can start a court claim

Comment

Ok, that's most helpful, thank you. So obtaining a diag report that shows the fault codes for the e-call error and an alignment report for the steering wheel not level would purely be some arsenal for me if the dealer says the car isn't faulty?

If they collect the car and reimburse, surely that is in effect them accepting my rejection? As in they wouldn't be able to back track on that if they run a diagnosis after collection?

Comment

Q1 Yes

If the diag report shows there is a serious fault or faults with the car, you are legally entitled to reject it
                If the dealer/finance company refuses your rejection, maintaining they can repair it, the FOS may take several months for a decision and the court even longer

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X