• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Defective car - rejection - Motability

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defective car - rejection - Motability

I took delivery of my new car 3 weeks ago. It has a substantial number of defects, including to the bodywork which will require a partial respray. I have written to the dealer to reject the car and also notified Motability as it is on their scheme. Is there anything else I need to do? Also, the same car now is more expensive. Can I claim this from the dealer as damages?
    Tags: None

I have just read that Motability now only offers customers a contract for a full lease scheme package, with insurance, breakdown and maintenance included.
    Some cars are £0 upfront while other more expensive cars require an upfront payment
    Did you have to make an upfront payment and have you made any weekly payments?
    Motability own the car so you should address this company when taking the matter further.
    If you are unhappy with Motability's reply and you fail to receive an acceptable solution such as an alternative suitable car, you can refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service.
    You do not have a contract with the dealer so you can't make a claim against him for damages under a breach of contract
    Last edited by Pezza54; 3rd July 2024, 18:32:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pezza54 View Post
      I have just read that Motability now only offers customers a contract for a full lease scheme package, with insurance, breakdown and maintenance included.
      Some cars are £0 upfront while other more expensive cars require an upfront payment
      Did you have to make an upfront payment and have you made any weekly payments?
      Motability own the car so you should address this company when taking the matter further.
      If you are unhappy with Motability's reply and you fail to receive an acceptable solution such as an alternative suitable car, you can refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service.
      You do not have a contract with the dealer so you can't make a claim against him for damages under a breach of contract
      Thank you for your quick response. I paid £5000 up front to the dealer (although I don't know whether the dealer passed this to Motability) and my entire PIP payment goes to Motability. I signed a contract with the dealer and the paperwork notes that I am the customer. Doesn't this establish a contract with the dealer? I also have a lease agreement with Motability.

Comment

How did you pay the £5,000, Credit Card, Debit Card?

Comment

Motability definitely own the car. They are a charity organisation and have negotiated competitive deals with motor dealers, RAC, Directline Insurance. If the customer wants to carry out modifications to the car they should check with Motability first before notifying the insurance company.
          Motability provide the customer with a booklet containing the contract terms and conditions which the customer takes to the dealer when choosing the car
          I very much doubt the dealer passed your £5k to Motability. Your weekly PIP is insufficient to cover the cost of the car over the 3 year lease. In effect Motability have asked you to make this payment upfront direct to the dealer on their behalf
          What you signed with the dealer was probably to confirm your chosen car so the dealer could order it

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
            How did you pay the £5,000, Credit Card, Debit Card?
            Credit card - but that was only for the advance payment

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X